Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO RS 2  (Read 274 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
COUNTDOWN TO RS 2
« on: October 02, 2007, 01:41:52 pm »
Yes, it's snowing in Steamboat. Just love to see it.

AND.......74 days to our arrival date. Dec 15th...Steamboat...

Oh yeah!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: COUNTDOWN TO RS 2
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 01:11:38 pm »
73 seems like so much less time!!!

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 09:31:40 am »
Halloween the next milestone. Even if the kids are too old to trick or treat.
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 09:57:34 am »
Ah Lynnn....you know that answer to "to old"

WE'RE NEVER TO OLD!

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:21:49 am »
greetings from SFCA, we get 1 kid to our house, not much action in my parts. Thanksgiving is big, we have about 15 over each year. My wife is very organized and does a fantastic job with the holiday. Steamboat in 2 weeks for me though!  The new carpeting is going in this week nd we had a new slate entry way put in.  The old one didn't allow enough room for wet boots and such so this should help keep dirt and wet off the carpeting and lee throughout the condo.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 03:10:38 pm »
Slightly off topic, but Maria Fermoile has a pretty decent article on RS main page about getting ready for ski season. Nothing too intricate or difficult and the stretches are very basic. But, I know everyone wants to be in primo shape for the beginning of the season!

"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 02:22:43 pm »
I agree Lynn...some nice stretches in her article.

I think flexibility and balance are key factors for strong and non injury skiing. Since breathing is a necessity, bike riding with sprints and jump roping between work out sets without the rope keeps my aerobic condition ready. Still, nothing better than turning the skis...do the sport to condition for the sport. Now, someone please build a 2000 ft vertical indoor ski facility near my home please.

Lots of good stuff in her article. I know Maria was injured last year (I think)....hope she's back to 100%.

Best to all for smart and healthy conditioning,
Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 02:56:08 pm »

She was my instructor at Blue/Dark Blue in '05.  Nice lady. 
Yes, she was hit by out of control snowboarder (or skier?).  I believe Diane's letter said fractured pelvis as well as some leg fractures.  Sounded like an awfully hard hit.  Haven't heard any update.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 08:39:00 am »
Maria sure has the knowledge and skills to "know how" to recover. She is also young enough and in great shape so hopefully, she's back!

I've seen close calls while people were waiting in line. Man...you've got to be an owl turnig your head every which way to be on the alert.

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 10:04:34 am »
I've always wondered why, in ski lessons, they make you come to a stop downhill from the instructor?? I guess now we know.?

I'm pretty sure it was while she was teaching (at her home mountaint, not HH camp) and not just standing in line at the bottom.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 12:56:03 pm »
Jim, what always astonished me was in early season, maybe 2 trails open, why do the instructors insist on taking beginner skiers on the steepest terrain, stop in a group of 7, make long "s" turns to the bottom. I've had to go into avoidance mode more than once.

It's the money, get em up on the mountain. Oh well....as Peter Kelty said to me while skiing Alta one day..."always ski in a bubble"

in other words, be visually, physically, and ESP lly aware of who is within the sphere of your bubble.

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 01:56:35 pm »
that is truely my greatest fear when skiing. that and me running into some newbie who yings when they should have yanged. It's the reason that I can'tlet myself ski as fast as I want

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 02:29:45 pm »
Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, what.....I seem to remember some flying moments last year at the "boat"..when I was videoing you...well trying to anyways....you were traveling so fast, the camera couldn't find you. Cirminy...even with the white pants!

Yeah,...we're pretty good about threading our way through traffic. But you're right...I've had people zig when every electron in their bodies said they were going to zag and the crazies zigged. Yeah just got to be at 150% "nuke em" or get out of the way alert!

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 12:05:54 pm »
Well thanks gary but You and Micheal still eave me in the dust,  errr, powder... :)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 01:36:38 pm »
I don't know mister....those white pants were just a blurrrrrrrrr!