Author Topic: Skiing (not snowboarding) in New England  (Read 407 times)

nevils

Skiing (not snowboarding) in New England
« on: October 03, 2006, 12:53:49 pm »
Hi!
Does anybody know which ski resorts in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine does not allow snowboards.
Thank you very much.
Nevils

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Skiing (not snowboarding) in New England
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 02:15:11 pm »
Hmmmm, I personally don't know of any...

The eastern resorts financially need all  carvers and sliders they can get to stay open. Just one of the money facts of life.

If you're skiing in the east where there or both riders, avoid the crazy kid boarders on the weekends and during school breaks or holidays. This way you won't have some little board maniac come flying out of the trees into your path.

Best,
Gary

nevils

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 03:24:38 pm »
In the meantime - my information is that there is only one; Mad River Glen in Vermont. We are not too friendly with boarders - have had a few close calls and a friend of ours (good skier) while skiing with us at Park City was broadsided by a boarder and knocked out - only after returning home he found out how serious the accident had been.......a long story and little gruesome actually.

We are planning a ski trip to Utah in early February - our first choice is Alta and if that does not work out then Snowbasin.
Nevils

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 04:43:12 pm »
Forgot about Mad River.....

Still, ya just can't beat the bang for the buck going out west.

Sorry to hear about the accident with your friend. I hope ultimately, he healed up well. It just proves the point you always have to be watching, ready to make evasive manuvers....just the way it is.

Hey, Deer Valley is a blast resort, my wifes favorite. They sure know how to take care of the skiers and the terrain.

Have a great one,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 12:14:51 pm »
to the bes tof my knowledge its

Deer Valley
Taos
Alta.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:33:00 pm »
In the east, only Mad River Glen excludes boarders. In Utah, there are two places within 45 minutes of each other which don't allow snowboarding, Deer Valley and Alta. Deer Valley is somewhat posh, known for it's grooming, but does have some decent trees and glades and bumps. Alta is more basic, known for its terrain and earthy quality. Both are worthwhile exploring. The last place, Taos, I have never been too, but it is on the list.

Seems like you will have your best bet of avoiding boarders, while having a full ski experience,  in Utah. Stay in the Snyderville Basin area (near the outlets) which puts your 10 minuts from Deer Valley and 40 from Alta (depending how you drive and if the cops get you) . Check out VRBO.com. We stayed in condos at the base of the Canyons, thought we onlly skiied one day there.

Snowbasin is an hour from P.C. but has minimal crowds and fewer of the thoughtless, young boarder type there. Good terrain and the lodges make Deer Valley look second rate!
"Play it Sam"

nevils

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 04:13:37 pm »
Thank you all. I personally agree with "forget about Mad River..." I ski mostly in CA but my favorite areas are in UT. I was just trying to help my daughter-in-law in NH -- a beginner skier struggling to overcome problems stemming from her first ski lesson -- pushy instructor, slopes too steep for beginner etc. She is intimidated by heights and speed -- riders and skiers showing off their speed skills? in beginners areas. So a ski hill and a good instructor sans riders and therefore less crowded would be beneficial to her.
Nevils

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 12:51:01 pm »
I do not think that MRG bars snowboarders.  There is no mention of this on their site.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 05:53:15 pm »
Believe it...MRG bars boarders!!!
"Play it Sam"

brussell11

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 06:00:23 am »
Nevils,

I find Okemo to actually have, consistently, a great environment for beginners.  Their ski area is smartly designed, and has a very good beginner area that is more or less separated from the 'upper' mountain.  While other places have dedicated 'bunny slopes' or beginner areas, this one is pretty substantial AND you don't have to deal with non-beginners, for the most part.   It's serviced by two fast lifts, and there is a variety of 'trails' for some changes.  I have taught some people to ski here (and have also recommended the ski school) and it has always been a success.  For the big VT resorts, it is my favorite. Not quite as steep as Mansfield, not nearly as crowded/useless as Killington (worst 'big' east coast ski area, IMHO), and very friendly to novices!

Ben

nevils

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 06:45:33 pm »
Ben - thank you very much for the info, i will pass it on to my family members.
Nevils

nixonjeremy

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 11:11:06 am »
Re: Okemo,  I completely agree with you.  Okemo has always been a very family friendly/beginner friendly resort.  As far a big New England resorts go, you probably won't find one better for beginners.  Its where I learned how to ski 20 years ago.