Author Topic: Smith "Sensor Mirror" goggles  (Read 296 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Smith "Sensor Mirror" goggles
« on: September 28, 2006, 09:12:19 pm »
I just bought my third pair of Smith Turbo-Fan goggles, this one with the "sensor mirror" lens for low light conditions.? These are to go with my other Turbo-Fans with the RC36 lens for all other light conditions.? For someone that wears glasses, the Turbo-Fan is just awesome.? All goggles will exhaust air when you are moving, these allow me to clear any fogging before I start down.? I find that especially useful on high-humidity days (like when it's snowing) or whenever I have to work a little bit to get to where we are skiing.

Although I've never "really" used the sensor light, I had to put it on today and see what it's like (so I tried it in the light and in the parking garage).? I'm already impressed.? When on, they are like having on shooter's glasses (or goggles with the yellow tint) but aren't nearly as overwhelming in bright light as the yellow goggles I have tried on.? From the outside the lens actually looks a little bit blue (because it's filtering out blue light?) but they actually look more yellow when I have them on.? They are rated about 72% light transmission as opposed to the rose tinted RC36 (about 38% light transmission).? Smith's yellow goggle is about 80% light transmission, but all of their lenses transmit different percentages of light at varying wave lengths of light, so the percentage numbers aren't the whole story.

I've haven't used anything other than Smith for the last 10 years (because I love the fan), so can't really compare to other's current goggles, but I love the RC36 lenses and I think I am going to like the Sensor Mirror even more.
?
The Turbo Fans are an expensive goggle, but well worth it as far as I am concerned for anyone that wears glasses, and they have been very reliable even surviving the fan occasionally getting packed with snow.? In fact, I've had other people become users after skiing on days where they were fighting fogging on their glasses and I was fine.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 10:04:55 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: Smith "Sensor Mirror" goggles
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 10:43:02 pm »
I wholeheartedly agrre with Jim. I don't ski with glasses (contacts instead) but I bought a pair of the Turbo Goggles last year on a powder day. The only time I have ever had a fogging problem is on big powder days at Squaw (when it's still snowing). This problem was persistent until I bought these goggles. By far the very best $130 I have ever spent. They really are the difference betwen skiing pow all day and having to go in because I can't see!! JB.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 08:48:21 am »
Thanks guys for the fabulous endorsement for the Smith Turbo Fan Goggles. Sounds like a great product!

Just answer these  questions for me and if I believe you....I'm running right out to buy me a pair.

Are the Turbo Fans fans powerful enough to provide lift in the powder...I mean are they variable speed? Is there any rotor wash that might affect your loved one skiing next to you?

Best,
Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 08:56:06 am »
Gary:? Unfortunately, no they don't provide any lift in the powder.? The fan has two speeds, but it exhausts at the top of the goggle, so the two micro-gram downforce (when on high speed) will be pushing you into the powder.

However, I have it on good authority that in the event of a face plant they will blow up a little pile of powder in front of you (just before they pack themselves full of snow).? I also have it on good authority that said packed snow could easily be knocked out of the fan and the fan resumed running and rapidly evaporated all of the moisture out of the goggle without a dry-out/wipe-out trip to the lodge.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 09:00:59 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 05:45:45 pm »
Jim, if only they provided some lift in the powder...I have it on good authority, I would have bought 2!

Still, it sounds like they have a serve the master mode built in...

Hmmmm...nano technololgy in goggles....Could we ever get there?