Author Topic: Supershape edge bevel  (Read 985 times)

dphillips

Supershape edge bevel
« on: September 24, 2006, 10:14:19 pm »
Does anyone know the factory set edge bevel on the Head Supershape?   I just bought a pair, and I understand that a two degree edge bevel is recommended for anyone who is not a novice.  I believe that the Supershape comes with a two degree bevel from the factory, but I wanted to make sure, because I will otherwise need to change it.

Thanks for any assistance that you can give me.

Doug

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: Supershape edge bevel
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 10:59:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure it comes from the factory with 2 degree side and 1 degree base. JB.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:28:05 am »
Head USA Inc. / HTM USA Holdings
ph: +1 203 855 8666
http://www.head.com

I think its 2/1 as well

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:16:00 pm »
Ok dphilips....the last time I skied with Harold, I asked him what he recommended for base and side bevels.

He suggested 2 degree side and 1/2 degree base.

If you are skiing hard snow and icy conditions, he suggested to me a 21/2 to 3 degree side. I wouldn't use this though unless you were running gates or love to ski boiler plate.

Basically if you are a bit nervous when your skis hook up on edge and maybe you prefer to slide a bit more than carve, go with the 1 degree base. But if you feel like you need more edge hold and your technique allows you to get up on to the steel," use the 1/2 on the base. I have found with my Rx8's and will put on my new IM 82's skis, 2 side and 1/2 base and this would be for all snow conditions from hardpack, ice, groomed, crud and powder.

Hope this helps.

Gary

dphillips

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 10:39:46 pm »
Thanks everyone for your confirmation.   And thank you, Gary, for your further information.  I will have to decide if I want to go to the trouble of changing the base bevel to 1/2 degree, as I presume that would require a base grind.

Doug

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:09:53 am »
You bring up a good point....I'm not sure for this degree of change that a base grind would be necessary and look for others input on this. I had no problem changing my skis and there was a noticeable difference of edge hold going from 1 to 1/2.

What I do know is that once you make a change on the base, you really shouldn't have to put a file to that base all season unless the edge got really buggered up. After you get the base filed to the preferred degree, all it should need for touch ups is a wet diamond stone. This way you don't take off to much base edge.

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 07:20:29 pm »

I have to confess that I find it hard to believe that you can feel the difference between 1/2 and 1 degree base beve.   :-[  You're probably just saying that so we'll think you're as good a skier as Ron??
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 07:17:57 am »
I suck though ;D  I have my SS's at 2/1

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 11:43:08 am »
The difference was really apparent on hard pack and boiler plate...

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 11:45:55 am »
PS- I'm sure gary actually IS a better skier than me

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 08:18:54 am »
PS..I really think Jim is a better skier than all of us including God!

Ok guys, enough of the "better skier stuff"

We live to feel that cold air, to glide, carve and slide, we live to "dance on the mountain" any way we can!

Well alrighty than Jim...come on out to Beav and let's see what ya got!

Busting ya...I think so far we have 5 guys.

Wish you all coud make it.

Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 08:39:57 pm »
All:

Irrespective of how any of us ski, I just want to say thank you for all the laughs and ribbing that you provide.? The fact that there is a lot of worthwhile knowledge and information packaged among the frivolity just makes it that much more enjoyable.

Thank you ALL very much.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 09:04:31 pm by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 10:19:28 pm »
PS..I really think Jim is a better skier than all of us including God!
Gary

;D? ;D OK Gary, you found me out.? That did sort of describe me at one time.? I also used to subscribe to the philosophy of "God is my co-pilot".? Unfortunately, I crashed the plane and a lot of people got hurt; it wasn't pretty.? Since then I've decided to move out of the pilots seat and into the passenger cabin and let Him be the pilot.? As far as being a better skier than Him, I assume that since He can walk on water He can probably float in powder even better than Michael's Spatulas.? ?::)? ::)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 10:22:26 pm by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 08:39:28 am »
You're right Jim...I too truly enjoy the sharing of info, the laughs, the passion we all have for gliding down hill.

God AND Michael on Spatula's...Michaels sure is traveling in good company! Now would God being skiing in front of Michael or behind him...Hmmmmm?????

Ok...now I'm thinking...did Jim really crash in an airplane...as a pilot...people hurt....hmm...metap hor maybe???

Having said that, I adhere to a similar philosophy that I've always trusted the direction the good lord is taking me...gives me great peace of mind.

Now if I could just get him to spend more time prepping my skis!

Peace,
Gary

PS...one more thought Jim...please be the pilot when skiing downhill!