Author Topic: Upgrade? When?  (Read 698 times)

kwilliams

Upgrade? When?
« on: September 17, 2006, 01:37:41 am »
Ok, so I have a three-quiver setup and am wondering if ski technology has progressed to the point that it's worth upgrading.  Here's the setup:

'01 Olin Sierra Limited 185cm - Somewhat my early/late season hard snow ski.  Phenomenal short turn ski, carves OK, but has a low speed limit and has poor torsional stiffnes (firm crud throws it).

'03 Rossignol Bandit XXX 185cm - My powder ski.  I absolutely love this ski on any soft snow condition in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

'04 Dynastar Intuitiv 74 182cm - My do everything else ski.  Aside from making me work harder than I'd like, this ski is the best thing I've every had on my feet.

So, anything so hot it's worth upgrading?  I miss my '01 Rossignol Mtn. Viper 10.2, but only for speed and carving, they sucked for everything else.  Should I consider a hard snow carver like the Dynastar Contact 11?  (I ski out west, mostly Utah and usually stay home if there's not been a storm in the last week or so, prefer off-piste, but mix in some carving and moguls on occasion.)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: Upgrade? When?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 06:57:08 am »
Ok, so I have a three-quiver setup and am wondering if ski technology has progressed to the point that it's worth upgrading.? Here's the setup:

'01 Olin Sierra Limited 185cm - Somewhat my early/late season hard snow ski.
'03 Rossignol Bandit XXX 185cm - My powder ski.?
'04 Dynastar Intuitiv 74 182cm - My do everything else ski.?

So, anything so hot it's worth upgrading??(I ski out west, mostly Utah and usually stay home if there's not been a storm in the last week or so, prefer off-piste, but mix in some carving and moguls on occasion.)

Hi KW,

Your quiver consist of top quality early generation shaped skis. However current skis are a leap ahead, so the need to upgrade exists.

The current technology provides more sidecut with better construction. Most skis on the market today will have a tighter turning radius yet are more stable than your existing quiver. They will provide higher performance with less effort.

You stated that you stay home unless there's been a storm and that you ski Utah.

I would Demo the Volkl AC4 to replace the Intuitive 74. The Head Monster 82 is another high performance midfat to consider. These ski provide strong on-piste edgegrip with a go-anywhere versatility that's ideal for Utah conditions.

I would keep the XXX, newer wide rides are more versatile, but in deep snow the XXX is still highly regarded.

The Olin is the most out-of-date ski. If you still want a quick hard snow ski after replacing your midfat, consider the Fischer RX8. I would actually select the RX9 for Utah, but the RX8 is quicker and more fun.

The Fischer can be found for around $450 to 550 with bindings, the Volkl AC4 will add $200 to that, with the Heads in-between price wise.

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 07:52:48 am by Barrettscv »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 12:18:53 pm »
I agree with evreythig but of course the Supershape as another one to try in additon to the rx8's.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 12:20:24 pm »
You don't say much about you as a skier, but we can infer from the type of skis you like.

I would suggest you demo the Head SuperShape and replace both the Olin and the Intuitive with that. ?The SuperShape is a do everything ski that is fundamentally a hard snow ski but also has plenty of capability to handle boot high soft stuff (and you have the Bandix XXX for more than that, and I agree with Michael's recommendation to keep it). ?The only hesitation is your comment about the Intuitiv requiring more work than you would like, because the SuperShape might be similarly demanding.

If you want a level easier than the SuperShape, then there are a number of more forgiving skis that will do better all-around than the two you have. ?For example, I believe Peter used the Intuitiv 74 for several years as his "do everything' ski, but has replaced it with the Head iM72. ?Fischer RX8, Elan Magfire 10, maybe Atomic m11(but I'm not an Atomic fan), Dynastar Contact 11 (or 10). ?In general, you could probably peruse the reviews looking for anything that Peter mentions as a candidate for "one ski ski of the year" and wind up with a tremendous improvement over the Olin/Intuitive combination. ?You could keep the Intuitiv, but my guess is that you would find you didn't need or use it much.

[[Ron, honest I wasn't copy catting.  I had the SuperShape message already in progress before you posted.]]   ::)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 12:23:22 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Barrettscv

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 02:52:12 pm »
Hi Again KW,

I would be remiss not to include The Dynastar 8000 as you midfat replacement for the Intuitive 74. Most skiers who were happy with the Intuitive were also happy when they stepped up to the 8000. The 8000 is wider and will handle variable snow well, but does not provide the same edgegrip as the AC4 or Monster 82.

I would demo each the next time your in Alta/Snowbird.

Cheers,

Michael Barrett

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 12:09:47 pm »
OK KW....one more soup bone for the pot...

Someone please get this man on a pair of IM88's.

That coud be your western DREAM ski! Go give it a ride!!!

Best,
Gary

kwilliams

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 04:12:50 pm »
Wow.  Good information.  I knew that the Olin's were out of date.  Sounds like that might be the best place to start.  From the reviews it sounds like the Dynastar Contact might be a good place to start, but The Volkly AC4 sounds promising too.  Guess it's demo time.  I'll probably hang on to the XXX's for deep snow, demo the Dynastar 8000 as a replacement for the 74's, and certainly replace the Olins with the RX8, AC4 or Contact 11.  Thanks all for chiming in on this.

BTW, if it changes anything I'm an out of shape Level 9 skier and prefer off-piste runs at Alta, Snowbird and Snow Basin, but I do like to carve 'em up if all that's out there is groomers.