Author Topic: Too many choices?!  (Read 1516 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: Too many choices?!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 08:48:02 am »
UncleNeil, the big advertised difference between this years RX 8 and last years was that the '07 version is supposed to be a sandwich contsruction ski. This is the way they build race skis, and this approach produces skis with superior edge hold. In my experience, SW construction skis like to skid less and are often times somewhat less forgiving, but they are like rails when you put them on edge.

Now for the true confusion this year. I just read on Epic that some people had just seen the new RX 8's and they were not SW construction. The Fischer website says that they are, so I have no idea what has ocurred or if what is being said on Epic is true (although there would be no reason for anyone to fabricate something like this).

If in fact they are SW skis, I can see why the mogul icon was removed. Many skiers tend to slide/skid in the moguls for speed control and SW skis tend to not like doing this. As well, if you slam a SW ski, head on into a mogul and it bends you can damage the ski permanently and this is not the case with a cap construction ski.

This is what I know right now. Maybe more explanation will be forthcoming over the next few weeks. JB.