Author Topic: Too many choices?!  (Read 1501 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Too many choices?!
« on: September 13, 2006, 06:23:13 pm »
I would still like to know more about the differences between last year's RX8 and the new 07 model. Why is it rated as more forgiving for example, while the rating for bumps has dissapeared?

Can't answer the question directly, but there are/have been differences year to year in the past seemingly because of fewer (or many more) people testing the ski and/or skiing it in a different length.  In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if far fewer people tested the RX8 this year just because it was a pretty known quantity and wasn't pushed by the manufacturer as having changes.  The reviews do a good job (far better than SKI and SKIING) of generally describing skis, and are pretty consistent relative to each other.  However, the reviews always (and especially this year) attempt to let the readers know what's going on with new/changed skis.

For example, there are many on the forum that rave (rightfully) about the Head SuperShape, but they are all somewhat better skiers than me (and I also want a ski that allows me readily ski with grandkids on blue slopes) so I am VERY happy with my Head i.SL Chips.  I could ski the SuperShape, but it isn't as good a match for my skiing.  Same discussion for my Head iM77's while every else is on to the iM82/88.

Even last year's review of the RX8, which did have the bumps icon says only that it can "handle moderate bumps."  That may not be an endorsement of the type of large off-piste bumps that you want to gravitate to.  On the other hand, a better bump ski may not have the edge grip to deal with the 'firm surface' in your area.

I know, not much help!!!
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."