Author Topic: What's your Quiver for 08'  (Read 1225 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: What's your Quiver for 08'
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2008, 09:15:43 pm »
Hope you are joking Nevils!
Go to Harald's site and take the wedge blocker lesson. I learned a lot just from that.
The hard part is starting from the bottom again. The feet that is. Skiing starts with the feet and then you stack your skills from there.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2008, 08:35:00 am »
Hope you are joking Nevils!
Go to Harald's site and take the wedge blocker lesson. I learned a lot just from that.
The hard part is starting from the bottom again. The feet that is. Skiing starts with the feet and then you stack your skills from there.

I know I'm going to get in trouble for this, but I haven't been in trouble for almost two months now, so here goes anyway.? ?;D

Nevils:? Having skied a few days with midwif and Gary and Ron and Michael, you should listen to her; cause when it comes to stacked she absolutely knows what she is talking about.? ?>:D

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:00:49 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

nevils

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2008, 09:36:32 am »
midwif: yes, I was joking, was just trying to make a reference to the previous banter between you, Gary, Ron, Michael etc. Seriously - starting from the bottom is not the hard part for me at all - that's the easy part. Jim: thanks for the advice, actually I developed a liking for the stacked a LONG time ago and it hasn't diminished yet. Well, I hope I didn't post myself out of real skiers.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2008, 11:20:59 am »
Jim
Good thing I know you are a gentleman in person. Otherwise you'd be in BIG trouble. >:D
Be very careful, I might have to report you to the mods. ;D ;D ;D (as if that would do any good!)
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2008, 12:19:16 pm »
Jim
Good thing I know you are a gentleman in person. Otherwise you'd be in BIG trouble. >:D
Be very careful, I might have to report you to the mods. ;D ;D ;D (as if that would do any good!)

I understand Lynn.? ;D? As a "Global Moderator", you have the power? ....? ?and your finger is on the trigger.!!!

I guess I feel rather badly for poor Nevils, it was all his fault.

bf_hill

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2008, 09:22:23 am »
Jim

I understand Lynn.? ;D? As a "Global Moderator", you have the power? ....? ?and your finger is on the trigger.!!!

Okay, NOW I want to be a moderator. 8)? To heck with 'with great power comes great responsibility", with great power comes the ability to intimidate and bascially....RULE! >:D? Bwahahahahahahaha! <cough> <cough>

bf_hill

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2008, 09:42:51 am »
Dynastar Course 66 178 ('05)

Dynastar Omecarve 10 165 ('05)

Dynastar Legend 8000 172 ('08)

Scott Punisher 182 ('08) (had to break out of the mold some time!)

Welcome Scott.? I'm just about as new as you are.? Haven't heard of the first two skiis, the Legends got good reviews.? ?But the Scott's......? Scott makes skis?? The look like park skis, is that right?

Glad you broke out of the mold, no one likes a moldy rab0295.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 09:46:04 am by bf_hill »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2008, 03:41:39 pm »
Dynastar Course 66 178 ('05)

Dynastar Omecarve 10 165 ('05)

Dynastar Legend 8000 172 ('08)

Scott Punisher 182 ('08) (had to break out of the mold some time!)

rab:  I'm curious, how much do you ski the Course 66 vs. the Omecarve 10.  I think that is a GS vs more of a slalom cut (correct?), just curious which you like better and why and where.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »

Okay, NOW I want to be a moderator. 8)? To heck with 'with great power comes great responsibility", with great power comes the ability to intimidate and bascially....RULE! >:D? Bwahahahahahahaha! <cough> <cough>

Brad:? Be very careful that you don't **** off that midwif person.? One of the power(s) of the "Global Moderator" is to ban users.? She could make you disappear and we would never know what happened.

But being designated a Moderator is sort of like being "sponge worthy".  You have to prove that you aren't the kind of person to wield power in an irresponsible fashion, that you fully comprehend the value of what is being offered.  Of course, if you want to be a moderator badly enough, $500 (or a new pair of skis) deposited in my unlisted Kansas Bank Account could do wonders for your forum capabilities. 

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 03:46:25 pm by jim-ratliff »

bf_hill

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2008, 04:57:01 pm »

Brad:? Be very careful that you don't **** off that midwif person.? One of the power(s) of the "Global Moderator" is to ban users.? She could make you disappear and we would never know what happened.

But being designated a Moderator is sort of like being "sponge worthy".? You have to prove that you aren't the kind of person to wield power in an irresponsible fashion, that you fully comprehend the value of what is being offered.? Of course, if you want to be a moderator badly enough, $500 (or a new pair of skis) deposited in my unlisted Kansas Bank Account could do wonders for your forum capabilities.?

Okay, I see now midwif is a "Global Moderator".  I'm sure in her infinite wisdom and her judicious use of said power that I'm not in danger of wearing cement ski boots and being cast into the melting Rocky Mountain waters to end up in diluted form in someone's Coors Light.

Hmm...$500 or skis.....let's see what Midwif wants to bestow moderatordom upon me.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2008, 08:20:30 pm »
Brad
What Ratliff is NOT telling you, is that he is the REAL power here.
Back in the fall the site was infested with spam that was overwhelmingly AWFUL.?
Ron, Gary, Jim and I made it a personal mission to keep a non-spam topic at the top of the general discussion.
We indulged in a lot of fun, a lot of nonsense and a lot of padded bumping to do so.
However, Mr. computer nerd supreme (aka Jim) worked a bit with Peter Keelty to help ensure long term clearance of spam robots etc.
A certain computer geek non-pareil, can see all and do all. He bestowed a small vestige of his powers upon us lesser beings, so we could continue the anti-spam fight as needed. If you see the name Gandalf on any posts, be very, very careful. ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:16:28 pm by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

bf_hill

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2008, 06:45:35 am »
Brad
What Ratliff is NOT telling you, is that he is the REAL power here.

He bestowed a small vestige of his powers upon us lesser beings, so we could continue the anti-spam fight as needed. If you see the name Gandalf on any posts, be very, very careful. ;)

Strategy equals execution. All the great ideas and visions in the world are worthless if they can't be implemented rapidly and efficiently. Good leaders delegate and empower others liberally, but they pay attention to details, every day.--Colin Powell

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2008, 10:08:04 am »

Strategy equals execution. All the great ideas and visions in the world are worthless if they can't be implemented rapidly and efficiently. Good leaders delegate and empower others liberally, but they pay attention to details, every day.--Colin Powell

Okay, that's a topper!! ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:50:49 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

bf_hill

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2008, 11:14:18 am »

Okay, that's a topper!! ;D

Clearly King Jim of Kansas and his knights of the discussion table have done a great deed in relieving us of spam(a lot)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 02:03:04 pm by jim-ratliff »

nevils

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2008, 07:59:42 pm »
Me: older (at least in my mind "older" not "old") recreational skier (7/8, closer to 8) for a number of years. My somewhat "older" quiver consists of Head iM72's and Elan M666's. The Head 170 cm. iM72's 117/72/102 R15,3 i bought after demoing them a couple years ago. Very good skis, but started to feel that i needed something a little wider under foot. So, last season, after correspodence and advice from dawgcatching (Scott) of epicski.com, without demoing, i bought from him the 176 cm. Elan M666's 116/76/102 R17,9 wood core, dual titanium skis. However, last season my time on the new Elan's was very limited due to lack of snow around Tahoe area etc. etc. This season -- much more time on the Elans, so that now i can compare my Heads with the Elans. For me, the Elans are clear winners. In my opinion the Elans are better all-around, but they really excel in heavy/cut-up/crud Tahoe spring snow - stable, real confidence builders and with a large sweet spot. I didn't find myself in the back-seat, like i often did on my Heads. The lifted tails of the Elans didn't get stuck to the snow - a sensation i felt often with the Heads. Also, to my liking, the Elans have more of a snow feel than the Heads. The Heads are system skis with Railflex Tyrolia LD12 bindings, but the Elans are flat mounted with Tyrolia ELD14's. On both, the Heads and the Elans, the bindings are mounted per manufacturers's location recommendation, but on the Elans they certainly appear more forward than the Railflex bindings on the Heads. imho (opinion of many others also) it's better to buy flat skis and then select the bindings. The Elan ski construction and workmanship (wood and titanium) is excellent. In my case the Elans -- a little longer, a little wider under foot, a little better binding -- was the right solution. Thank you Scott!! At times it felt that the Elans were doing all the thinking, anticipation and skiing for me, besides, the graphics of the 666's are very nice!
Nevils