Author Topic: In search of the perfect ski sock  (Read 986 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
In search of the perfect ski sock
« on: September 08, 2006, 09:42:11 am »
My quest for the Holy Grail of Ski Socks began 6 years ago when I realized when you buy high/race performance boots, you need thin socks otherwise I end up with numb and cold tootsies.
My kids have received so many pairs of socks that I have tested and passed along becuse they are either too course or harsh on my skin, to thick, to itchy, and still my search goes on. It's true, with a properly fitting boot, the right make up of ski sock, your feet stay dry and warm.

What I'm looking for is thin, wicking, very tight knit, not course material, with little or no padding on the shin. Something made with parts silk, rayon, or some wiciking material..am I asking for too much....???

I came across a site that sells DeFeet ski socks. They have thin and thinner socks using Cool Max technology. They are quite expensive especially when adding in the freight. Damm the price and full feet ahead if they're the right sock!
Does anyone use these socks and if so, do they meet any of my criteria....

The search goes on....
Thanks,
Gary

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: In search of the perfect ski sock
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 07:26:55 pm »
Gary:

I haven't skied those, but I am a big fan of SmartWool socks (and some other stuff).? Like most, they come in at least three different thicknesses, including one that is pretty thin.? If you believe the marketing hype, their claim is that wool doesn't need to wick moisture away because it lets the water vapor escape before it condenses into moisture.  Wool also has the advantage of retaining heat even when it's wet (that's the reason the old sailors used to wear even the scratchy wool so much).  My feet are never cold and never wet.? (actually I once got quite a bit of snow inside my boots when not skiing and the socks got wet, they were still warm).

I actually like them enough that I have also converted to mostly Smart Wool business socks. (at least in the basic charcoal and navy blue).

Jim

PS. I saw the trip to Beaver creek, but won't attempt it this year.? My daughter-in-law is no longer stationed at the Academy in Colorado Springs, so I am skiing Utah this year whenever I can.? ?:-\ Besides, you guys are in the "good to great" skier category and I am barely in the good group.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:54:40 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 06:44:26 am »
HeyJim,
Thanks for the info on the Smart Wool....but...me and wool are oil and water.
I know many people like them for the warmth and "stay dry" affectiveness. Me....I currently just use liners to ski in.

As far as skiing in Beaver Creek....it's about the skiing sure but also about the company. I know we will be skiing all kinds of trails and if someone wants to grab a bump run or double black....we just meet at the bottom or at lunch. It's all about kicking back, talking skis, and dancing on the mountain.

I understand why you're heading to Utah though. Maybe another time or if you are ever in the western NY area...let me knowl.

best, Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 07:18:50 am »
Jim, if it makes any difference, my friend and his son are comnig out and they are 5-6's. It's about the turns and grins (ok, good food and wine too).  All are welcome, I'm no expert. We are all learning.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Thanks one and all.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 04:48:32 pm »
Thanks guys.? I just have commitment issues.? My son passed the State Department Foreign Service Officer test in July and is flying from his Peace Corps assignment in Tonga to San Fran in January and wants me to come out and say hi.? My wife is having some health problems. So I'm not really committing to trips.? I can go to Salt Lake with little notice and stay in the local Motel 6-8-10 and drive to places.? I haven't even been in Big Cottonwood canyon in 8 years or so.? If I go to meet my son, then we may try to do Lake Tahoe or something (depends on how long he is in country).

Gary: Smartwool doesn't itch like normal wool (it's Australian long-haired Merino sheep wool).? My wife is allergic to lots of stuff and normally can't wear wool, but doesn't even realize that some of this stuff is wool.? I got introduced to it by one of my other son's pro mountain bicycle racer friends, it's the only sock he wears.

Ron: thanks,,,, but I saw your post on Epic (or was it here?) about how in your turns you frequently have your hip 3-5 inches off the snow.? That may not be "expert" my friend, but it's pretty darn good, probably puts you in the top 1% of non-racer skiers.? ?:-X

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 01:30:37 pm »
Hey Jim, sorry to hear about your wife's health problems....I hope she is in on the mend.

Sounds like your son has an exciting job...I'm sure you are proud of him.

I know Tahoe had a good year last year just don't know if it was early or late. Skiiing with family is good anywhere, enjoy!

Ok, I'll check out the socks next time at the ski shop and see if they have the super thin I'm looking for.

Oh yeah, the 3-5" of hip of the ground Ron was talking about....that was just before a yard sale...

Just busting on Ron...

Best,
Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 07:41:05 pm »
Let me second the smartwool. I hate itchywool as a rule, but these do NOT itch. They are also blends. There is a race ski style which is quite thin and a thin ski sock which is a  bit less so. After being boot fitted by HH&Co., I realized that thinner truly was better.
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 08:07:52 am »
Ride On Midwif......thin rocks with the correct boot fiting. You guys got my looking at Smart Wool.

Will check out the Smart Wool race series of socks.

Thanks,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 10:25:04 am »
I was wrong about the 3", I checked with a good friend who I ski with and he is a reliable judge, its more like a foot, I was wrong, it feels that way and I guess maybe a got a few turns in that low but its not my norm. I don't want to be frontin' on this site. No one likes a poser.  My apologies. 

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 11:25:49 am »
Ok Ron..no problem...3" or 12" you're still crankn' turns.

Let um rip mister, no looking back!

Someone please come up with a way to safely measure the distamce of Rons ass off the snow during high speed GS turns. If he's looking back to see where his ass has been, he might just hit the guy skiing in front him (like me) and then there will be two asses a negative 3-12" into the snow.

"lift and tip to crank em over and yahoooooo all the way to the bottom"!

Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
I like the level of articulate humor here! A perfect ode to skiing.
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 07:54:00 pm »
Check out Sierratradingpost.c om. They have smartwool socks in their current catalogue. Not the race ski, but the light cushionied ski sock.  For the price, worth buying a pair or two to try out.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 09:57:22 pm »

Someone please come up with a way to safely measure the distamce of Rons ass off the snow during high speed GS turns. If he's looking back to see where his ass has been, he might just hit the guy skiing in front him (like me) and then there will be two asses a negative 3-12" into the snow.

Gary

Gary:  I was a little hesitant to raise this issue, but I can understand your dilemma.  If you ski in front of Ron then you run the risk of being blind-sided while he admires the shadow behind him on the snow.  If you get caught behind him, then you run the risk of being just plain blinded by his sartorial splendor.  It must be a challenge.   :o

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
technology to the rescue?
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 09:15:45 am »
Jim, it would appear that you have skied with Ron before!

Compounding the problem, we are both skiing the IM 82's although mine are flat mounted and he has the Railflex.....the acid green ski team should be well represented at Beaver Creek this December. Well, baring any nasty "running your buddy over" incidents.

Now..... I understand there's a new systems for autos that sense's how close a vehicle is in front or behind you and automatically shuts down the speed....

Hmmm, I see some potential here.......

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Ron need curb feelers.
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 08:02:50 pm »
Gary:

I think the only solution is to buy Ron a set of curb feelers (those metal things that you mount to the side of your car for parallel parking).  Fasten them each hip and he won't have to watch his turns, he'll be able to listen to them.  That frees up his eyes for rule number 1 (or is it 3), yielding to slower skiers (that would be you) on the slopes down the hill from him.   ;D

Jim

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Ski bumpers rule!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 08:10:09 am »
Now there's an imaginative idea..I like it! "Ski bumpers, just fasten the belt like device around your waist and those little bumpers will "twang" everytime your hips are low as they go. The perfect external cue. $19.95 but if you buy today, will throw in a ski pole sharpener...yours free!"

Oh and Jim, if I was down the hill from Ron, would I be faster or slower?

Work with me here Jim:? a train left Smithsville at 3pm traveling at 40 miles per hour and arrived at Whosville at 2pm 40 miles away, what day of the week was it?

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 01:33:43 pm »
WoW, it must be getting closer to the opening day! The snow is falling but the comments are piling up much faster. I do like the curb feelers idea, yiou may be on to something here. I really look forward to skiing with all and having a great time. I am going to be a bit embarrased when you find out I really can't ski worth a damn and I just post on these sites!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 11:50:32 am »
Yeah right....so where then did you get the name "Huckmister RC"????

Did it have to do with skiing or drinking?

More to come on that after the Beaver Creek Adventure!
GC

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 06:26:05 am »
NO hucking! with 5 surgeries in 13 years now, and at 42, I need to try to keep this body in the best condition I can so I an be making turns at 85.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 09:02:35 am »
Ok Ron, cosmetic surgeries don't really count as manly surgeries.

A nose job, calf  and chest implants go a long way in getting the ladies to swoon but not much for hard charging carving.

Still, looking good and still sking at 85 sounds good to me!

Yep, I can see it now, you could be the new poster boy for ARP.....

The only surgery from now on are those clean tracks left on the snow from your sharpened steel edges! Yep, that's the ticket!

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 11:12:04 am »
Come on Gary, I have only had face lifts and tummy tucks from when I weighed 425........

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 12:54:51 pm »
Well then...I don't think they make boards fat enough to haul the size of a stately man around!

Of course there's always the Spatula's....

Never the less.....leave 250 lbs of that 450 in Annandale before heading out to the Beav....

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 07:30:55 am »
I'm holding at 178 but trying to lose a few more. Its just that I have a hard time cutting down on the red wine in the fall and then there's all that apple cobbler and great stuff my wife bakes. I should be able to get to 175 for the season. But then again, there are a lot of really great new Chianti's coming out and they go so well with pasta........

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 11:22:44 am »
Well alrighty then.....drinking good wines and eating good foods will not be a problem for us at the Beav...

Of course that's after sking!!!!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 07:14:21 am »
gary, there is anew Light ski sock out from smartwool. You may want to check it out.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 02:42:38 pm »
Yep, thanks Ron.....I did check it out on the web. Will have to go the the local shop to "feel" the sock. My little tootsies like soft not course material.

Will check it out if they have them in stock.

Gary