Author Topic: 82 vs none now  (Read 1015 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
82 vs none now
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:26:54 pm »
Well gang, I've pondered, calculated, traded thoughts with other ski buddies, read and re- read old and newer postings here and there. and I deceided...

The ski that will take me into boot high and above snow, broken snow, tree glades, and crud, was determined not based on my demo, but my experience with the IM75, then onto the IM 77 had left me with great ski experiences and where Head has been and where Head is going.

What it boiled down to was which of the two newer monsters was it going to be, the 82 or 88.

Here's what i mulled over, ran by friends, and determnined from the latest RS post and others as well:

My Stats:
Height 5'81/2"
weight: 153 lbs
Ski ability: level 8/9
Current skis: Fischer RX8 and Head IM77
Terrain skied: All mountain
Where I ski: 10-14 days out west, 5-10 days Vermont
Avg number of days on the mountain: 60
Skiing style: Harold Harb is my skiing mentor...tip and counter and Clendenin technique for the bumps

What I was looking for:
Since my Fischers can accomodate grroomed, hard pack, crud and powder up to boot high, I wanted a good boot to knee high snow ski that could navigate the deeper snow, crud, trees (not to narrow) and skied off hard pack on the way down the mountain.

The choices:
For me, it boiled down to the IM 88 and the IM 82. I knew from past experience with 95 mm waisted skis that a good float in the crud is sweet. But....how much float vs versatility was I willing to trade off.

The decision: When I thought about the fact I'm not doing any back country skiing, maybe snow cat, but no serious hiking and the heli skiing I did was expensive, the key was to find the ski that allowed me at my height, body weight, choice of terrain, and desired versatility to ski having the greatest versatility. The 88's would give me more float but would require more input in tighter eastern terrain, moguls, and maybe a bit more unruly on last runs iced over back to the lodge. Given my height and weight, I felt the difference in the float factor between the 82 and 88's would be virtually negligable but the versatility factor would be huge with the plus going to the 82's.

Not saying this process makes any sense to anyone but me....but it's how I tortured myself this past 3 months wondering should I make the leap. Well I was able to trade my 77's and a pair of Lange Comp 120's I had before my Head boots and so the actual cost back to me was $265...NICE!

Hope this mental exercise may help other poor soles tortureing themselves in a similar manner. For me, that part is over. I'll be sure to post my review of the 82's once their virgin little bases touch the snow.

Thanks to those that were aware of their help in my decision as well to those unaware posters of past. Oh yeah, thanks to Peter and crew for his continured trustworth reviews.

Best,
Gary

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: 82 vs none now
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 01:19:22 pm »
welcome to the club gary, we will now have dualling 82's out at the Beav'! You will love them. I know you will. You are not just a float along guy and the 82 is going to give you the ability to change up turn radius and jump onto the groomers and rip, then hop back into the crud and find some pow stashes.  Oh ****, its still in the 70's.........

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 01:38:17 pm »
Well there's the "Blues Brothers" the" Band of Brothers" the "Brothers Grimm" and NOW ta da.....the

"82 Brothers"...I can see the marketing script now...2 mild mannerd men, capable of hurtling through 6" of last nights crud, schussing through 3 feet of powder, able to leap 6 foot drops, "look there, on the mountain, it's? Volkl, it's? Atomic, no...it's the "82 Brothers"...the Monsters they are!

Beaver Creek will be the test....IM 82's? will be the skis...bring the ice, the crud, the powder....it's going to happen and if only the cameras were rolling!

Ok Michael...now you've got your choice of 82's to demo...mine flat mounted and Ron with Railflex.

Ok Ron...let's keep up the momentum....before you know it, we'll be on the snow!

Barrettscv

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 10:06:42 am »
Hi Gary,

Congrats on the Monster 82. I'm still searching for my high performance midfat at a bargain price. I hope to find it in time for Beaver Creek!

Cheers,

Michael

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 10:13:08 am »
Thanks Michael, pretty pumped up about getting them on the snow. Hopefully I'll grab a few runs before we get out to Beaver Creek.

Hey, let me know what skis you're looking for....the Ski Company has some mountain demo's at bargin prices. I would be happy to see if they have what you want. My wife needed to rent powder skis in Aspen last season so she got on a pair of Head Wild Thangs, 156 length...(she's only 106lbs) anyways, they had a pair of demo's there which I purchased for $250...when I got them home, I checked them out closely, not a mark, a scratch, ....I don't think they ever made it on the snow. Lucked out there!

I know they had a bunch of Volant, I saw somw Elans Mag 12's, .....let me know brand and length if  you're looking at used.

I could also see what kind of price I could get on new as well.

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 06:48:08 am »
michael, those magfires 12's may be a great ski for you. If you are looking for something specific in dims or radii, let us know. Its almost just as mich fun to spend other's money. ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 08:31:59 am »
Come on Michael, Ron and I need your laundry list:

Favorites to find top to bottom:

We need to spend your money!!!!!

Barrettscv

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 10:20:51 am »
OK, Ron & Gary...

Soft snow ski for bottomless to deeper crud and spring slop. Must be capable on the groomers when in transit to natural snow. All should be 193cm, this ain't no SL ski!

Blizzard Titan 9
Stockli DP
Head MOJO 90
Elan 777

I'm finding these new or near new in the $250 to $350 range, without bindings.

However with two Kids in college... :-\

Cheers,

Michael

Barrettscv

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 11:51:32 am »
 :-[
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 11:39:32 am by Barrettscv »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 09:01:45 am »
Ok Michael,
Will check my local contacts to see if any of your picks are out there and let you know if I find anything.

Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 02:04:14 pm »
There is one shop that carries Elan, I know they had some 777's left over. I will find out when they are putting them on sale. Did you want them flat? 

Barrettscv

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 09:50:51 am »
The hunt is over & the choice is a strange one.

I pulled the trigger again, and this one is really different. I hope we get lots of deep snow in Beaver Creek, because I bought a new pair of... Spatula's!!!!!!!!I'll have to wait for powder, or at least 4 inches of crud before these babies come out. Part of the appeal is that its the most unusual ski ever made and that it will require a whole new technique.

So now I have three skis in my quiver; The Fischer WC RC which is best on ice and not especially good on any other surface, The Volant Spatula which needs to be on very soft snow and is useless on any other surface, and the Dynastar Intuitive 74 which I will need daily to save me from myself.

Cheers,

Michael

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:49:13 am by Barrettscv »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 10:54:11 am »
Ah...strange indeed...so when you pulled the trigger, was it anywhere near your head...

Michael..the Spatula...I mean you could wainscoat my family room with one pair of skis..you could builid an outhouse from scratch, they could be the perfect splints for the Jolly Green Giant.

holy camoly....them is big boards.

Well Congrats Michael for having the b--alls for stretching your gear boundaries.

Of course if anyone ever got injured you could use one board as a sled, or if your car got buried under a ton of ski, you could dig out.

Those babies are funky cool looking but I'm thinking like the overweight passenger on an airplane, you might need 2 seats on the double chair.

Are ya bringing them to Beaver Creek? How the heck do you transport them...Cripe, you'd have to buy a coffin to send them on a plane.

Just bustn' ya up bud...truly, congrats...can't wait to hear your review of those babies!
Best,
Gary

Barrettscv

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 11:40:45 am »
Ah...strange indeed...so when you pulled the trigger, was it anywhere near your head...

Best,
Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the best LOL in a long time!

OK, here's the best part, they come with demo bindings... (these are new, but mounted skis, I guess no-one ever wanted to demo 'em)

So now Ron and you can write your own review while in Colorado.

Cheers,

Michael

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 12:34:06 pm »
Michael, I actually think you made a nice addition to your quiver. Everyone I have ever spoken with who owns the Spatulas absolutely loves them. I see alot of them on big Pow days at Squaw and for Squaw with 2 feet of fresh, they seem like excellent skis. It's also interesting that Peter gave the Spatulas a very good review when they were first produced. This was not the case on the K2 Pontoons this year.

My hesitation on the Spatulas has always been that they require you to skid, even in the powder. I have worked too hard to learn how to carve and I didn't want a ski that requires that I employ different technique.

Having said that, on a big pow day, it appears that these are really fun skis that actually make big mountain skiing easier.

Please post your review as soon as you ski them in some deep stuff. JB.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 01:07:35 pm »
Hey Michael...will for sure take you up on that offer. The widest boards I've ever been on were some Rossi B4's.

Bring on the Spats baby...I'm taking them out for some GS turns....

Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 01:35:52 pm »
If all else fails, they are great water skis.......You know we must abuse......

Barrettscv

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 06:33:42 am »
So the day after I pull the trigger on a pair of new Volant Spatulas; these show-up on Steepandcheap. Maybe I should buy them as my midfat?

Salomon AK Rocket Lab Swallowtail $330

Salomon made the AK Rocket Lab Swallowtail Alpine Ski for top freeride athletes who seek the serious powder. Offered in only one massive length, 195cm, and with 130/95/114mm dimensions, this is a big ski for gutsy riders who have one purpose?riding steep pow pow. Salomon's Monocoque Titanium Spaceframe construction makes the AK Rocket Lab a seriously powerful ski; put the pedal to the metal and go.

http://www.steepandcheap.com/?CP=Dai...age&mv_pc=r104

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 06:35:43 am by Barrettscv »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 11:54:30 am »
Ok Michael...now that's a ski I could relate too....

Of course you'll need to build an addition on to the house to store all your skis,  forget about that lavish wedding for your daughter, and find a Hotel 6 you can stay in until your wife calms down.

I'll bet that's one fine ski. I've skied some of the Salomon performance skis and they don't feel anywhere the length they say.

Gary