Author Topic: Midwifs' Metrosexual Skier Thread (aka How Are You Feeling)?  (Read 331 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Midwifs' Metrosexual Skier Thread (aka How Are You Feeling)?
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:22:43 am »
Midwif is such a trooper listening to us talking about skis and clothes and radios and cameras and stuff, so I decided that we should start a thread dedicated to the fairer sex.? I know Gary talked some about getting in touch with his feminine side in some other thread, but this is the real meat and potatoes, the 'Midwif Metrosexual Skier Thread'? ?

Unfortunately, I need someone else to start the ball rolling.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:24:14 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Lynn (Midwif) seems to have adjusted to our gear geek world without missing a beat. Fortunately we are all a bit more multidimensional in person.

I am always glad to have a yin & yang in any group.

Michael
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:40:13 pm by Barrettscv »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Michael is now fully indoctrinated into the gear whoredom club. He now owns the latest in high-tech fabrics and gear. I did want to post this link from the end of last season as a reminder of gary's wardrobe. http://skiforums.org/rev2/index.php?topic=357.0  Scroll down towards the bottom. This is a stunning image....

Alos, along the line sof metro-ski-ism's; is there anyone not wearing some form of Orange? :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:09:08 pm by Ron »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
C'mon guys, lets step up to the plate here.? Share some feelings with your fellow "Real Skiers".

;)? I'm not wearing Orange, but that's not a bad thing because my complexion goes best with Spring colors, and as we all know Orange is a definite fall color.? Orange only looks good on those with the dark hair coloring and somewhat pasty (let's call it Clear) complexions.? I would certainly hope that no one on THIS forum would wear Orange just to fit in with the group if Orange isn't one of your colors?

Also, I find it somewhat shameful that we would all classify our ski clothing colors as merely secondary colors as "Orange".? There are a wealth of tertiary colors as well as numerous blends.? Surely we can be more precise in our clothing descriptions??  Where are the Peaches, and the vermillions, and the Ambers in our repertoire?

Secondary Colors
Secondary colors (represented in the related image) are ORANGE, GREEN, and PURPLE. These colors are the combination of red and yellow (orange), yellow and blue (green), and blue and red (purple). They are represented in HTML as:

Tertiary Colors
Tertiary colors (represented in the related image) are YELLOW-ORANGE, RED-ORANGE, RED-PURPLE, BLUE-PURPLE, BLUE-GREEN, and YELLOW-GREEN. These are the combinations of the secondary colors.

And, of course, it makes absolutely no sense to answer a question about "whether we wear anything Orange" without addressing the fundamental question of the harmony of our Orange and the other colors that we might be wearing that particular day, let alone the shades of those colors.

As skiers, in particular, we also need to factor in the surrondings in which these colors will be displayed.? Getting a good set of colors for such a bright white environment is no easy challenge.? Obviously skiing takes place in the winter time, so winter colors are much preferable to fall colors.

Just my 2 cents worth.

My mix and match wardrobe.
gray boots (two tones of gray)? ?- a good winter color.
black pants (2 pair, shell and insulated)? - another winter wonder
1.) blue Killy jacket with white sleeve stripes - a concession to my spring complexion while tieing in with the white of the snow
2.) Obermeyer red jacket with a lot of plum in the color.? Worn on warmer days that remind us of spring to come and fall that has passed.
gray helmet (two tones of gray)? - a winter color and an attempt to tie the boots in with the helmet.
base layer - either gray or steel blue
black vest - a nice winter color and off-sets the colors in the base layer.? Also the texture of the vest is different that the base layer and the jacket, so we have a little contrast working with the consistent winter colors.
second layer - Seldom worn, but a bright red to reflect the fact that it is cold -- red is a warming, invigorating color so I feel less cold.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:32:03 pm by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
I'll let you and Gary handle this one...... :D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
What's Jim saying about "pasties"?

Look gang...orange is my color and you can't have it. Well a smidgin is Ok but that's it.

As far as this site being about for the Midwifs of the RS world....

Here's is what the stronger, smarter and better looking of the humanoid world should know:

1) always wear a sports bra
2) on a cold night sleigh ride up to a restauant, sit beteen Ron and Gary or 2 other Italians cause they give off lots of heat.
3) if you don't ski fast....look really hot
4) pretend you need help putting on your boots and see how many guys trip over each other to help you
5) never ever go into the hot tub with the RS group if they've been drinking...well unless you've been drinkng too.
6) if you cook great don't tell Ron cause the competitve juices will flow.
7) if you cook great, tell everyone but Ron and set the table for 7
8) and finally, join us at Real Skiers II, Steamboat...we need the femine personality to keep the group calm and rational.

I almost got teary eyed guys....
Hugs all around,
Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
You guys crack me up. ;D ;D ;D ;D

BTW, the Orage jacket I bought last season end is teal with white and green khaki inserts. I have some khaki pants that are close enough, but tell me my fellow fashionistas, will brown pants with a him of green undertone to them also with the jacket???
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of pressure, to be giving clothing advice to midwif.

This could have a wide variety of answers, so much depends on the colors in the jacket itself.? If the Teal is pretty bright and vibrant (with more yellow in the color) then a calming brown would be a good match, with the emphasis on contrast rather than coordination.? On the other hand, if the Teal is a darker Teal (more of a blue/black influence) then I would think that most brown's would give too dark and therefore dreary of an overall look (especially in a bright ski environment) and brighter pants (even a white) might be a better match.

I have to admit, however, that I have a hard time picturing the white and green khaki inserts.? Hard for me to visualize a green that would mesh well with most Teals (but, depending on the amount of green, brown is a good baseline on which to build most greens).

Overall, while I can see the khaki as a safe choice, I think I would appreciate the brown as a base for the jacket more than the khaki?? And in fact, a white might also be better than a khaki.

Of course, all of this ignores the complexion of the wearer, so I think the only safe thing to do here is to delay the purchase until Steamboat and take the whole metrosexual Steamboat crew along on a shopping trip.? Then we can provide advice based on the real visual combination rather than just guessing based on verbal descriptions.

So what do you think fellow metrosexuals, how did I do??
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 07:48:44 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
LOL, LOL, good lord. I can't afford pre-x-mas prices AND even if I could, I would rebel!

I bought 2 new pairs of ski pants from Sierra trading post. One was for my future daughter-in law who makes me look fat. The size small were too big for her.  The cream Orage jacket did fit her .  Since I am slow returning, I checked them with the jacket I purchased.  I had purchased the other pai,r Karbon, a few weeks prior, since they were a real bargain and I hoped the color would coordinate.

I will bring BOTH to SB and get everyones input. Metrosexual skiers unite! Fashionistas swish...er,  chime in!

"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Okay, I need to be completely honest. Last year, one of the guys mentioned that my blue Spyder jacket and black Bogner pants were indistinguishable from many Blue/Black combos on the mountain. This, of course, made me feel the need to find something 'diffierent', so I would stand out on the snow from all the other skiers.

I had been eyeing a brown and pale green orage jacket with longing. Loved all it's bells and whislte, but the $500 price tag was intimidating for something I did not need. When they same jacket, in the colors above,  appeared on sale at 50% off the last day at Loveland, I could not resist.

White pants? I am the sort to sit on a chair lift with the oil leak and have a brown spot on my derriere. Not very elegant. It would appear I missed the first S of S, S and Shave. And remember, I only wax! ;D
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
LOL, LOL, good lord. I can't afford pre-x-mas prices AND even if I could, I would rebel!

Why girl-friend, what ever would lead you to think that shopping means buying???? We're just going out to see first hand what the good color would be for you, the jacket, your personality, etc.? Why would anyone (even Ron looks for really good deals) buy at pre-Christmas prices???? ???

When you and your other girl-friends go shopping, does that mean you are going out to buy anything.? I THINK NOT!!? It's just time together looking and dreaming.

What do your think we are, a bunch of guys???

And I woudn't dismiss the white pants out of hand.? The waterproofing of ski pants does a pretty good job of preventing stains and stuff, and I think white could look real good with many Teals.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 07:49:28 am by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts

I had been eyeing a brown and pale green orage jacket with longing. Loved all it's bells and whislte, but the $500 price tag was intimidating for something I did not need. When they same jacket, in the colors above,? appeared on sale at 50% off the last day at Loveland, I could not resist.

Seeee, that's what I mean. Shop and find something you love the looks and bells and whistles, and then shop some more and find the price that you want.? ?::)

Now, how about a little Thank You from your buds who created a thread just in your honor and in appreciation of your contributions??    :-\ (remember, that's the Gary Look icon).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:55:16 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
When with the girls, it is VERY hard to shop without purchasing.
Last saturday, I went with my sister, the executive, to get her some clothes. I acted as her personal shopper.
Damn, I'm good! Went thru $3500 of her $$$$. ( she hadn't bought much in 3 yrs and looked it).
We got her some excellent combos. Spending other peoples money is very, very satisfying. Hmm, maybe my next career.
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts

Now, how about a little Thank You from your buds who created a thread just in your honor and in appreciation of your contributions??? ? :-\ (remember, that's the Gary Look icon).

Thank you very much, Buds. :P
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
You guys crack me up. ;D ;D ;D ;D

BTW, the Orage jacket I bought last season end is teal with white and green khaki inserts. I have some khaki pants that are close enough, but tell me my fellow fashionistas, will brown pants with a him of green undertone to them also with the jacket???

I like the brown!