Author Topic: flex me baby!!!  (Read 1550 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
flex me baby!!!
« on: August 24, 2006, 01:39:11 pm »
Hey Gang,
I can feel the change of season coming. The external cue is our local ski shops are having their early season, "get out of the way, rush to the door and buy new gear" ski sale.

And watch me now here I go...

Well, I've decided to trade the fairly new IM77's for the IM88's . Was talking with Ron who owns the IM 82s about the listed manufacturers flex of these skis. He has? the IM82 with a 16.10 and my IM 77's flex is 15.29. The flex is marked on the tails of the skis along with the turning radius and ski diimensions.

Does anyone know what the flex on the IM88 would be in the 175 length? Does the ski length have any bearing on the flex?

Also, does anyone know what these numbers actually stand for....one could assume on a sliding scale that the higher the number the stiffer feeling the ski might be.

We've got Beaver Creek planned in December where Michael, Ron and myself will be attending and all you real skiers are invited to join us. Then my wife and I hit Jackson Hole, our first time, in Jan for our anniversary celebration....yes, I know I'm a lucky guy. Got a great deal on some Head Wild Thang's for my wifes powder ski. She skied them in knee high last January in Aspen and loved them.

Hope to get those 88's in some knee high powder this year!

Here's hoping for an awesome ski season for all!

Best,
Gary

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

stekan

Re: flex me baby!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 02:24:42 am »
I have M72 and there is a mark for f-index on the tail. I'm positive that f-index stands for float index and represents number of square centimeters of gliding surface.

Regards,
Stevo

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 07:28:04 am »
Are you sure that's not flex index?

stekan

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 07:55:11 am »
98.7% sure

Without drawing in AutoCad it's a bit difficult to calculate exact area, but let's try something simplified:  iM77 in 177cm have gliding length of about 165cm and average width for 119/77/104 of let's say 93mm (9.3cm).

165 x 9.3 = 1534.5 cm2

That is very close to 1529 (if that is the number from your skis).

The longer or wider the skis are, the number is going up.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 08:28:19 am »
Yeah, now that i think about it, the flex index is for their boots. It would make sense that the number goes down as the ski narrows but in reality what is the purpose of the index? I mean, do we really have to have a calculation to show that a 72mm ski will have less float than a 77 or 82?

Thanks!

stekan

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 08:44:39 am »
Maybe if someone wants to go on shorter skis but to keep the same float. It is theoretically possible to use f-index to choose shorter and wider skis with similar float.

Search on Google didn?t show explanation of f-index. Then, after checking old files in my Ski folder, have found on 11th page of 05/06 Head skis catalogue this:
F-Index = ?The area of surface contact greatly determines the skiing properties of a ski. The higher the F-Index the more distinct are the off-piste and deep snow properties of a ski.?

It's now 100%.

Have a great ski season.

Regards from Bosnia.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 09:33:05 am »
WOW, ain't science wonderful...you da man stekan!!!!

Upon re-examination of my skis...it does say F-index...My assumption it referred to flex seems flawed where yours makes perfect sense.

Mystery solved....well at least in? part.

Still would like to know what the F-index of the IM88's would be in a 175 length...126 88 112 dimensions

So let me see...175 with glide of 154 ( I used 13%) with average width of 108.67 so...154  x 10.87 = 1673.

Hmmm, curious to see how close this might be.

COme on Stekan...get out the slide rule and do the calcs!!

Thanks again,

Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 12:06:31 pm »
the answer is more than an 82 in a similar size!   :D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 12:29:04 pm »
Amazing how simple things can be....

Come on Ron, work with me here......I need exact sceintitic prognosticatoin here so when I'm floating in bottomless powder, and the averages, and glide length caluculations start buzzing through my mind...my confidence will not be shaken, yes, my skis will float cause the math says so.

And there it is!

stekan

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 03:11:33 pm »
Still would like to know what the F-index of the IM88's would be in a 175 length...126 88 112 dimensions

So let me see...175 with glide of 154 ( I used 13%) with average width of 108.67 so...154  x 10.87 = 1673.

Hmmm, curious to see how close this might be.

COme on Stekan...get out the slide rule and do the calcs!!

Gary, after some drawing in AutoCAD and calculation in Excel the result can't be far from 1750 (between 1735 and 1765).

I don't have chance to check it anywhere, so please let me know the number as soon as you get the skis in your hands. I'm so curious.

F-index on my iM72 177cm is 1535.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 07:04:12 am »
Amazing how simple things can be....

Come on Ron, work with me here......I need exact sceintitic prognosticatoin here so when I'm floating in bottomless powder, and the averages, and glide length caluculations start buzzing through my mind...my confidence will not be shaken, yes, my skis will float cause the math says so.

And there it is!

Shut up and ski ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 09:38:02 am »
I'll be sure to post once I have the actual F-index..

Stekan..forward me your auto cad format...chuckles.. ...very cool!

AND RON.....while you're tossiing and turning away valuable sleep time, Stekan and myself are comforted in the fact that "we did our homework" and can ski with wreckless abandonment!

Ok...I'll be quiet,....I WANNA SKI NOW!!!!!!!!!

AndrewR

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 09:30:22 am »
So what is the f-index of my Stockli Rotors 179cm (124-76-109) please?

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 10:36:08 am »
I'll be sure to post once I have the actual F-index..

Stekan..forward me your auto cad format...chuckles.. ...very cool!

AND RON.....while you're tossiing and turning away valuable sleep time, Stekan and myself are comforted in the fact that "we did our homework" and can ski with wreckless abandonment!

Ok...I'll be quiet,....I WANNA SKI NOW!!!!!!!!!

Gary, Although I never sleep much anyway, I just ski, I don't need to worry about what the ski can do for me, i am confident about what i can do on the ski!  :)  (sounds of "oohhh" are heard in the crowd!)  We need to get out there baby, December just around the corner,

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 08:30:08 am »
Ok you sleepless, plagiarist, non believer of magical ski gear appropriately dialed in skis...( of course Ron, we ALL know for sure, cause like me, "I do believe, I do believe, I do believe!")

First, there's no night skiing at Beaver Creek unless your scalping a few hikes up, ski down runs with your head lamp on...so get some sleep, you'll need it!

and 5th....Gear Matched to our skiing styles, terrain skied, and Visa Gold cards.....RULES!!!!!!