Author Topic: Bought first new gear of the season  (Read 1803 times)

Barrettscv

Re: Bought first new gear of the season
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 08:01:37 am »
Hmmm,...220....yuz? big fella...Having said that, I was surprised at your thought that the RX9 would be less demanding than the RX8's. I can only reason that you're thinking that at your weight, the RX8's may be too soft for a skillful skier not standing up to the kinds of pressure one can transmit to a board...or is it something else? Peters test state that the RX8 was more manageable.

... Still, I do find something like the 82's and 88's very appealing. For me, if I'm going bigger and only looking for that 2nd ski, it's got to be the 88. If I can get a deal, I'll be bringing the 88's and for sure the RX8 out with me.

Michael, our local ski shops are having their pre season ski sales and the big Dome Sale....If you want, I'll check out the prices on some 82's and get back to you...what length? Let me know what you're looking for and I'll find out availability and best pricing.

Best,
Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes my "RX9 is more forgiving than an RX8" is a little confusing. At moderate speeds on smooth firm snow the RX8 is better than the RX9, quick and tolerant of pilot errors. The RX9 comes into its own at speed where it is more dependable and a little less twitchy. A little more Audi S4 like and little less Porshe Boxster like. Ultimately the RX8 is more fun than the RX9, but at speed and in chop the RX9 should be more dependable.

I am looking for a Head Monster 82 in a 183cm (?) length. I am also looking for a flat Volkl AC4 in about the same size. If I find these in the $450 price range I'll grab it.

Cheers,

Michael Barrett

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 09:27:32 am »
Michael, Phil Pugliese may be sellin his AC4's, I left him a message

Barrettscv

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 12:31:23 pm »
Michael, Phil Pugliese may be sellin his AC4's, I left him a message

I'm hoping to find a seller who has a 184cm AC4 Flat from last year. Often a shop will unload the longer skis during summer just to get rid of them. The 06/07 AC4 is stiffer with a better binding system, but since I want the flat version for soft snow, the 05/06 model is better for me. An new AC4 with look bindings sold for $320 in June, should of jumped on it. I also will consider a Monster 77 flat from last year, one sold for $225 and again I was unwilling to bid properly.

Phil is a skilled seller, his price might be too high for me.

I have found a used Elan 777 with Tyrolia freeflex bindings in a 184cm for $225....

Cheers,

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 12:57:39 pm »
well, you are correct about Phill but it turns out it was a 724 and he's keeping it. Did you try  Dawgatching? Scott's got killer deals.

Barrettscv

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 01:04:06 pm »
well, you are correct about Phill but it turns out it was a 724 and he's keeping it. Did you try? Dawgatching? Scott's got killer deals.

Ive been PM Dawgatching, but I do not get response! Maybe he takes the summer off?!? Can you contact him for me?

Besides the Flat AC4, I will also consider a Monster 82 in the same size.

Cheers,

Michael

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Dawgcatching
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 09:08:31 pm »
Michael:

Scott was the same way last year.  I don't know whether he is a racer or not, but seemed like he does a lot of biking in the summer. 

All of his stuff is done through the store he works at, so it may also be related to some restrictions at the store (i.e. it's summer time, focus on bike stuff, there will be time for skis later).

JIm
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 08:26:21 am »
Scott is setting up a new e-mail account just for epic and real skier users. He is a bike racer and has been training and racing all summer. He really doesn't monitor his epic account during the summer. He is getting back to it shortly. Here's his number (541) 593-2453  and e-mail for now scott@villagebikeandski.com  he doesn't carry volkl althoug he may be able to later as the seson gets closer. he's out of 82's and has a few 88's in 175 and 186.  he quoted me 439 flat and 160 for FF14 bindings. The flatter Mojo's maybe a better choice for bindings (thanks Gary)

Barrettscv

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 11:07:00 am »
Well I haven't found a midfat for me yet, But I pulled the trigger on a pair of 04/05 RX8 160cm flat for my oldest daughter ;D. The skis have never been mounted. A fellow bear purchased them in Europe two years ago and offered them to me for a very good price (which is like waving a red flag before a bull.).? He explained that Fischer offers both a Railflex & a flat versions there, we only get Railflex versions here. I'll sell her Atomic SL 9'16 and she will have something more versatile.

The burning question now is what binding? I'm tempted to remove the dealer installed Railflex plate & bindings from her Big Stix 7.2, or maybe just install a Tyrolia freeflex binding?

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 12:48:09 pm »
Hmm, tough one, I will say this, You did say the word "versitile", so my thought is that the Rf will allow here to shift the binding to adjust for conditions. You can always leave them forward for 90% of skiing, especially if she's aggressive and race/carve oriented but yo can't sfit them to neutral in crud or moderate powder with the FF.  I don't know if she would really be missing anything with the RF over  the FF, Final comment, go for the RF.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 11:01:01 pm »
Don't know how your daughter skis and how the RX8 skis, whether she needs to be forward or not.  If you have the freeflex, check the binding mounting holes.  her foot may be short enough that you can still move her around a little bit (if you want) just by mounting the bindings in a different set of holes in the plate.

Barrettscv

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2006, 10:29:46 am »
Hi Jim and all,

I'm going with the Railflex, good quality and very adjustable. Plus it's the factory "matched" binding that does deliver good results. This binding is the best all-around choice.

I considered the Free flex with the CP13 or other Tyrolia "race" plate. This would be ideal for me since it should improve grip and responsiveness compared to the Railflex. I would mount it 20mm forward to allow some versatility in binding position.

Maybe if I find a flat RX8 for me...

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 11:47:30 am by Barrettscv »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 01:58:25 pm »

I would mount it 20mm forward to allow some versatility in binding position.

Michael:? Maybe you already have, but I would do some research before mounting the CP13 20mm forward.? The setup on my i.SL Chips is the CP 13 plate with LD12 bindings.? I asked jbotti to do some research and he asked Harald/Diana and their recommendation was to stay with the default mounting position with the CP13.? After skiing it last year, I would agree, although it's hard for me to know if its the plate or the ski.

I surmise that the CP13 plate does a better job of projecting force forward (especially as the the ski flexes) than the railflex.? With the railflex, the force is just weight pressing down on the rails.? With the CP13, the front plate seems like it might distribute the weight better and the rubber damping bumper under the toe of the plate would compress and increase forward pressure as the ski flexes (sort of like the piston arm on the Marker bindings).

Anyway, Harald/Diana's general recommendation was +15 for railflex and factory mount for the CP13.

By the way, I think the SuperShape comes with the CP13 carve plate as well and I don't hear anyone having problems with the mounting position or any discussion of moving the plate around.? Ron??

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 04:41:11 pm »
Michael and Jim, I beleive what Diana actually said was that they mounted all race and recreational race skis in their factory position. All of these come with the CP 13 carve plate. Pretty much all else coming from Head comes with the railflex binding and with all of these they put them in the 15mm forward position. They did mount my IM 88's with a Mojo 15 binding and this is also in the factory positon (and not forward).

This doesn't really answer the question about mounting an RX 8 with a carve plate. My guess would be that starting it in the factory position would be right, but I know that I don't know the answer. I do think that the forward 15mm position on the railflex and the 13mm rise on the carve plate seem to accomplsih somewhat similar things (in different ways). Just my thoughts. JB.

Barrettscv

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 05:19:58 pm »
Thanks JB & JR,

Installing plates can be tricky.

Cheers,

Michael