Author Topic: Bought first new gear of the season  (Read 1804 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Bought first new gear of the season
« on: June 22, 2006, 05:32:00 am »
Although mentally, my seson never ends, I did pick up a Spyder warmup race jacket this week, ITs the black quilted jacket with a hood.  Couldn't resist, snowshack had them on sale 40% off!  Anyone else keeping their habits alive?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: Bought first new gear of the season
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 05:56:03 pm »
My search for a wide ski has been truly frustrating. I failed to pull the trigger on a pair of new Head Monster iM 77 (flat version) for $225. THAT WAS I THINKING!

Then I passed on a pair of new Volkl AC4 with used Look bindings for $318. D'OE!

Now I'm consodering a pair of Gotoma's for $500 :o. As the models get fatter, the price keeps going up!

I should go back to buying skinny skis at low prices.

Cheers,

Michael

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Just be patient
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 11:22:41 am »
Michael:

You're just early in the game.? For most people, skiing is very seasonal.? Wait until SKI comes out with next years 'skis of the year'.? There will be plenty of people that just HAVE to have the latest and the greatest, and then you can really look for your type of value (good skis at great prices).

And, really, does the world end if you have to ski next year on what you have right now?? I don't think so.? ? :)
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 12:55:23 pm »
Skiing is seasonal, my mental season is basically 11 1/2 months long. There is no bad time to buy ski gear except for November, and that's only because they don't discount enough!  That said, Michael, go for the 82's bud, 82's!!!!!!

Barrettscv

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 07:10:58 pm »
Hi Jim & Ron,

Well I'm stymied. I have been unable to decide on a wide ski for western skiing. I understand that a 95mm or wider ski will be needed to float my over-sized carcass. I also refuse to smeer or feather-edge a turn unless I need to dump speed immediately or its the end of the run. Can a big ski carve? No, and I know the question misses the point. Big skis are meant to be skied like a snowboard in soft snow. A ski floating in powder forms a shelf of snow underfoot, and the skier surfs the fluid powder. Turns are the product of ski flex, not sidecut. OK, I get it! :-[

But what about those hours or sometimes days when no new snow exists? I am I supposed to slide around like an unschooled intermediate and never carve a turn again?? :'(

And I'm undecided If I should own an all-mountain midfat and rent a wide ski on powder days or own a wide ski and rent a carver on hard snow days? >:(

I'm going back to Vermont where I don't have these problems. ;)

Cheers,

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 01:27:43 pm »
Old beat up subject but why do you think you must have 95mm underfoot?

Barrettscv

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 07:40:30 am »
Old beat up subject but why do you think you must have 95mm underfoot?

Hi Ron,

Well, the conflict I have comes down to theory verses experience. Here is the theory: If the skier is above 180 Lbs, he will need more than 88 mm underfoot to float in soft snow, including crud. This implies that the midfat ski will not perform as intended in the kind of off-piste conditions found above 8000 ft.

Also, the midfat is not providing the quickness or edge-grip of a recreational ski-cross or race model on hard snow. Wider skis loses responsiveness on hard snow.

So, the midfat can be criticized for being neither ?fish nor fowl?, so to speak.

However, I have skied powder on a variety of narrow and midfat skis with very good results. I even consider my old Salomon Supermountains (110-78-100mm) to be a great powder/crud/bump ski that can carve long turns easily. When I tested the AC4 & Monster iM88 & iM77 last year at Alta, they all were great fun.

So my personal experience conflicts with theory.

Given my size, I may need a 3 ski quiver. I would travel with 2 pair out east (Fischer WC RC & Dynastar Intuitive 74) and two pair out west (Intuitive 74 & some 95mm plus fatty).

It all seems a little excessive!

Cheers,

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 01:04:14 pm »
Excessive, NO WAY! Sounds like a solid plan. You expect a different answer from me or Gary???

FYI- I have the same buying habits with Shotguns this year! Just bought a beautiful Caesar Guerini 12 guage. Absolutely a sweet gun. Sporting Clay is my off season habit.

Barrettscv

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 01:11:16 pm »
Excessive, NO WAY! Sounds like a solid plan. You expect a different answer from me or Gary???

FYI- I have the same buying habits with Shotguns this year! Just bought a beautiful Caesar Guerini 12 guage. Absolutely a sweet gun. Sporting Clay is my off season habit.

I had a great time shooting clay at the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio! I was given the choice of golf clubs or Shotguns during a business event. Most fun I've had in a long time, and clearly better than golf!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 07:15:06 am »
Highly addictive sport, Sporting Clays! I shoot twice a week now. Totally mental game and you get to shoot stuff and watch it explode. Much more fun than golf but the guns can get very expensive. If you think a pair of skis is steep, try a good quality 12 gauge over/under!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
weighing in here......
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 09:51:14 am »
Ok you cowboys....leave the poor pigeons alone for a minute..

Michael, really not sure why you need the 3rd ski, well maybe to support our economy, to have more stuff at home, to expermemt with a new carry system for 3 skis...keep up with your wifes shoe collection...

If you have a good not so serious race capable ski or skis....and a pair of 88's or B3's or B4's.....what else do ya need.

3  years ago I skied boot to knee high powder on a pair of Head 163 Im 75 chips...this past year I bought and skied in simiilar conditions the IM77's. Now, I'm prettys sure I'm trading those for the 88's just because I'm finding more opportunities to ski deeper snow (I hope) and  my experieince in the glacier at BC this year tells me, wider would be nicer.

I know width is a factor somewhat related to the skis waist but a persons height, skiing ability and preferred terrain are important as well.

I've skied my RX8's in boot high powder in a 170 length and they were smooth and very responsive. At 5'9 153 lbs...I was amazed how well they performed. At your weight, maybe going longer like the 175 or 180. Still think if you like skiing broken snow, crud and powder, the RX8's might be a better choice.

Not sure I would agree with you about the 180lb skier and going wider than 88mm. In the glacier, our guide had the B4 in a 195 length. He was 5'10, 175lbs. He asked if I wanted to try his skis, I said sure. He got on my 170, Im77chips and me on his big ole fat boards. I skied behind him and I noticed he was more active with his body but virtually had no problem skiing. Me on his, well, those babies love staying on top...nice skis. Convinced me I wanted the 88's. I think there are factors that should be used as a guide, but think about it , many years ago when skis were 210's, skiinng waist, they skied powder with those bad boys. It was the length that helped keep the ski tips on top.

Now having 3 pairs of skis is very cool, but hey, lugging those babies around all the time...? Besides, Ron might me looking to sell you one of his shotguns.

Best,
GC

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 10:56:19 am »
Hmm, I am selling my beretta silver pigeon II 20 guage... But I'll never sell the Guerini!

OK, ski's. I skied last season on my supershapes in 8" and they were great. No problems at all. I also skied on the Nordica tops 74mm waisted skis in about a foot with no problems, I'm 6' and 170-175 (depending on wine and how good the food is) I can't imagine that my 82's in 170 aren't going to give me enough float in pow up to 2'. I think an overlooked factor is the tip and tail. Looking at these ski's it's interesting to note that all are relatively equal in tip and tail dims. Eve Haraold Harb skis the SS's in boot high powder with ease.

look at some dims:
Supershapes @ 170 : 121-66-107
Head 77's  @ 170    : 119-77-104
Head 82's @172      : 122-82-108
Head 88's @ 175     : 126-88-112

Barrettscv

Re: weighing in here......
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 01:42:42 pm »
Ok you cowboys....leave the poor pigeons alone for a minute..

Michael, really not sure why you need the 3rd ski, well maybe to support our economy, to have more stuff at home, to expermemt with a new carry system for 3 skis...keep up with your wifes shoe collection...

I know width is a factor somewhat related to the skis waist but a persons height, skiing ability and preferred terrain are important as well...

...I've skied my RX8's in boot high powder in a 170 length and they were smooth and very responsive. At 5'9 153 lbs...I was amazed how well they performed. At your weight, maybe going longer like the 175 or 180. Still think if you like skiing broken snow, crud and powder, the RX8's might be a better choice.

Best,
GC

Hi Gary,

Many normal sized guys can use a two pair quiver and cover all conditions much easier than an over sized guy like myself. I really like your RX8/Monster 77 combo, one versatile carver and one versatile midfat. At your size a 77mm wide ski will take you into truly deep powder with more float than an Volkl Gotama will give me at 220 Lbs. Also, your 170 RX8 probably provides as much in the way of carving thrills as my 175cm Worldcup RC and is much more versatile in crud and softer snow.

My current Worldcup RC & Intuitive 74 quiver is perfect for Vermont. The wall to wall ice that is common in Vermont is a joy on the RC and softer/warmer conditions are easily handled by the Intuitive 74.

However, the snow above 8000 ft is really too soft for the RC. It's like using a Velodrome fixed wheel bicycle for light off-road use, doable but not great. The RX9 is perfect for variable groomed snow carving with a little crud thrown in. Its more stable and less demanding than the RX8. The Intuitive 74 does not float well enough for truly deep snow and is not really a responsive enough to be used as a hyper-carving ski. If I can find a AC4 or Monster 82 at a good price I will probably bring one of these to Colorado in December. I might just pop for a RX9 and demo a wide ride if conditions dictate. Part of the fun is considering the options!

Cheers,

Michael

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 07:27:59 am »
Hmmm,...220....yuz? big fella...although a buddy of mine end of last season, 5'10, 240 lbs bought a pair of RX8's and with what he lacks in ski finesse he gains in jumpin all over those skis to make turns. He's happy is a lark...came off a pair of K2 Fours.

Having said that, I was surprised at your thought that the RX9 would be less demanding than the RX8's. I can only reason that you're thinking that at your weight, the RX8's may be too soft for a skillful skier not standing up to the kinds of pressure one can transmit to a board...or is it something else? Peters test state that the RX8 was more manageable.

Having said that, the RX9 might be the ticket for you and only a test drive will tell. What's an interesting sidebar is that when I skied on the guides 195 B4....95 at the waist I think, it really didn't feel like a ski that was longer than my 170, 77 chips. The conditions gave me free rein in the kinds and shapes of turns I wanted to make but they were comfortable. Still, I do find something like the 82's and 88's very appealing. For me, if I'm going bigger and only looking for that 2nd ski, it's got to be the 88. If I can get a deal, I'll be bringing the 88's and for sure the RX8 out with me.

Man, I'm sooooo looking forward to Beaver Creek and the interesting conversations we all will have. Can't wait to turn em!

Michael, our local ski shops are having their pre season ski sales and the big Dome Sale....If you want, I'll check out the prices on some 82's and get back to you...what length? Let me know what you're looking for and I'll find out availability and best pricing.

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 07:36:05 am »
Michael, you should try some Nordica's as well. They are fantastic skis. Lots of pop and energy. I have found the snow in the Vail area is perfect for cruising, especially on those 4-6" of fresh powder days. True hero snow. It's soft enough that it won't hold up a narrower ski but not too light to prevent good edge-hold. Once it gets skied and broken up a bit, its still soft enough that even a ski like the 8 or the SS will plow right through it. I skied the Nordica Hot Rod, Modified, 119-74-104 in several days of fresh powder ranging from 2" to 10" and had no issues at all. A friend was skiing Atomic GS 11's and skied it with equal ease. ?I still contend that a wider tip and tail has more effect on float than simply looking at the waist. Length will aslo effect the float. But I digress, One western ski for multipurpose use? Hmm, I would have to go with the head 82 or the Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous http://www.nordica.com/ski/scheda.php?s=3&target=448

I am still bringing out my Supershapes!