Author Topic: Bought first new gear of the season  (Read 1811 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Bought first new gear of the season
« on: August 08, 2006, 07:27:59 am »
Hmmm,...220....yuz? big fella...although a buddy of mine end of last season, 5'10, 240 lbs bought a pair of RX8's and with what he lacks in ski finesse he gains in jumpin all over those skis to make turns. He's happy is a lark...came off a pair of K2 Fours.

Having said that, I was surprised at your thought that the RX9 would be less demanding than the RX8's. I can only reason that you're thinking that at your weight, the RX8's may be too soft for a skillful skier not standing up to the kinds of pressure one can transmit to a board...or is it something else? Peters test state that the RX8 was more manageable.

Having said that, the RX9 might be the ticket for you and only a test drive will tell. What's an interesting sidebar is that when I skied on the guides 195 B4....95 at the waist I think, it really didn't feel like a ski that was longer than my 170, 77 chips. The conditions gave me free rein in the kinds and shapes of turns I wanted to make but they were comfortable. Still, I do find something like the 82's and 88's very appealing. For me, if I'm going bigger and only looking for that 2nd ski, it's got to be the 88. If I can get a deal, I'll be bringing the 88's and for sure the RX8 out with me.

Man, I'm sooooo looking forward to Beaver Creek and the interesting conversations we all will have. Can't wait to turn em!

Michael, our local ski shops are having their pre season ski sales and the big Dome Sale....If you want, I'll check out the prices on some 82's and get back to you...what length? Let me know what you're looking for and I'll find out availability and best pricing.

Best,
Gary