Author Topic: Bought first new gear of the season  (Read 1839 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
weighing in here......
« on: August 07, 2006, 09:51:14 am »
Ok you cowboys....leave the poor pigeons alone for a minute..

Michael, really not sure why you need the 3rd ski, well maybe to support our economy, to have more stuff at home, to expermemt with a new carry system for 3 skis...keep up with your wifes shoe collection...

If you have a good not so serious race capable ski or skis....and a pair of 88's or B3's or B4's.....what else do ya need.

3  years ago I skied boot to knee high powder on a pair of Head 163 Im 75 chips...this past year I bought and skied in simiilar conditions the IM77's. Now, I'm prettys sure I'm trading those for the 88's just because I'm finding more opportunities to ski deeper snow (I hope) and  my experieince in the glacier at BC this year tells me, wider would be nicer.

I know width is a factor somewhat related to the skis waist but a persons height, skiing ability and preferred terrain are important as well.

I've skied my RX8's in boot high powder in a 170 length and they were smooth and very responsive. At 5'9 153 lbs...I was amazed how well they performed. At your weight, maybe going longer like the 175 or 180. Still think if you like skiing broken snow, crud and powder, the RX8's might be a better choice.

Not sure I would agree with you about the 180lb skier and going wider than 88mm. In the glacier, our guide had the B4 in a 195 length. He was 5'10, 175lbs. He asked if I wanted to try his skis, I said sure. He got on my 170, Im77chips and me on his big ole fat boards. I skied behind him and I noticed he was more active with his body but virtually had no problem skiing. Me on his, well, those babies love staying on top...nice skis. Convinced me I wanted the 88's. I think there are factors that should be used as a guide, but think about it , many years ago when skis were 210's, skiinng waist, they skied powder with those bad boys. It was the length that helped keep the ski tips on top.

Now having 3 pairs of skis is very cool, but hey, lugging those babies around all the time...? Besides, Ron might me looking to sell you one of his shotguns.

Best,
GC