Author Topic: Bought first new gear of the season  (Read 1834 times)

Barrettscv

Re: Bought first new gear of the season
« on: July 13, 2006, 07:40:30 am »
Old beat up subject but why do you think you must have 95mm underfoot?

Hi Ron,

Well, the conflict I have comes down to theory verses experience. Here is the theory: If the skier is above 180 Lbs, he will need more than 88 mm underfoot to float in soft snow, including crud. This implies that the midfat ski will not perform as intended in the kind of off-piste conditions found above 8000 ft.

Also, the midfat is not providing the quickness or edge-grip of a recreational ski-cross or race model on hard snow. Wider skis loses responsiveness on hard snow.

So, the midfat can be criticized for being neither ?fish nor fowl?, so to speak.

However, I have skied powder on a variety of narrow and midfat skis with very good results. I even consider my old Salomon Supermountains (110-78-100mm) to be a great powder/crud/bump ski that can carve long turns easily. When I tested the AC4 & Monster iM88 & iM77 last year at Alta, they all were great fun.

So my personal experience conflicts with theory.

Given my size, I may need a 3 ski quiver. I would travel with 2 pair out east (Fischer WC RC & Dynastar Intuitive 74) and two pair out west (Intuitive 74 & some 95mm plus fatty).

It all seems a little excessive!

Cheers,

Michael