Author Topic: Head RS 100..they get stiif when it's cold! How to sften them up?  (Read 363 times)

roof867

Hey guys, this is Adrien. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

So,Does anyone else deal with boots that are perfect one minute, but then the temp drops and you feel like you stepped into a pair pro GS dogs?

Is there anything I can do to help this? I sport a customized pair of RS 100's. these are the best boot I have ever skied in. I had the shells heated, the liner molded, custom footbeds, etc. In short, I could seriously sleep in my boots (although that boot fitting review that Ron left sure made me a little jealous!). There are times when my wife comes home in the summer, and I am sitting in my underwear and ski boots watching t.v...happy as can be ;D....but maybe I could've left the underwear out of it :-\ I'm sure you get the picture!

Anyway, I wear them without any of the extra plates, and they are switched on the less stiff mode. But when it gets cold, like 15-20*, man they get stiff, and I feel like its hard to really get on them and fell them give as much as I'd like. I am an aggressive skier, strong level 8/may 9 in some areas, and I weigh 145, or less. Should I have the cuffs shaved a little, or is there something I can do ???
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 08:02:38 am by roof867 »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Head RS 100...boy, they get stiif when it's cold!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 05:19:02 pm »
Adrien, the question is how tall are you? It's really about leverage here. But you're saying they're stiff in the cold, and that's got to be worked out.

Im 5'81/2, 155lbs and ski pair of Head RS80's...and that's why I went with the 80s.

YOu might just need to soften them a bit..some boots they can put a "V"cut on the back of the inner shell. They might drill a small hole at the point they want the "V" cut to stop. Now keep in mind this was the process I went through on a pair of Salomons I had. WIth Heads, there may be a different method.

You can check with your fitter and attemt it yourself but you might be better off having it done if you've never done one before.

I know it can be done. Rest asured, it will make life in th cold much easier if you can get to your "attack" position with out feeling your fighting with a cold boot to get out of the back seat.

Have them do a bit at a time..take them? out and try them in both the warmer and colder temps.

Your patience will pay off and your romantic relationship with your boots will continue unphased!

Best,
Gary

roof867

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 08:30:45 pm »
Thanks Gary. I am only 5'6", 145. I went with the RS100 because they weren't getting anymore RS models from anywhere. Then Head told our ski shop they were sold out of the RS80's in the US, and the minute I put them on I wasn't leaving without them! I figured with the boot on the lowest setting it would be fine. I found the RS 80 on ebay, brand new for $165, and last years S10's for $65-brand new, but there are so many other things I need, and my boots are only season old.

Mt techi told me he could shave the cuffs. Do you know anything about this process? I think I just need to move out west :-X
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 08:33:21 pm by roof867 »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 07:35:34 am »
Head does make a great boot for sure....obviously, it's got to fit the individuals foot properly.

I went through some grinding, got the foot beds in and just love the performance and response their boots provide. I can understand why you didn't want to leave without those boots.

As I mentioned in the prevoius response...I know with my Salomons I could drill a hole on the rear of the inside cuff down 3 or 4 of inches, then starting at the top of the cuff say about inch wide, make a "V" cut to the drilled hole. I haven't looked lately inside my Heads but sometimes the manufacturer actually puts in a dotted line where this work is done. Now this was the process for my old Salomons.

Is there a good Ski shop where you live? If so, their boot fitter should be able to give you advice on how to do this for Head boots and maybe do the work for you.

You can also get on line at Head.com....call the Head people here in the states. If you decide to do it yourself, they should be able to walk you through it.

If you do it yourself...take it slow and test it out before going softer.

Let me know how it works out.

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
you can also cut the bottom of the shin flaps (brain fry on term) Any fitter will know how to do this.