Author Topic: boot fitting experience - latest zip fit  (Read 257 times)

Brendan

boot fitting experience - latest zip fit
« on: July 16, 2007, 11:43:23 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just had some new boots fitted with Peter Stone, one of Harald's guys who lives in Australia during our winter here.

The big new is the new world cup zip fit, which I will get to in a moment.  I chose the head s12, which is the same boot as the RS line (according to head) minus a couple of non tech bels and whistles _ Peter reccomended this one for me.  A close shell fit - barely 2 fingers at the back and very close arond the forefoot.  The head liner that came with it was just too small.

Anyway after a zillion different alignement measurements (fortunately my alignment is good - about one to one and half degrees - zero is the ideal but less than 15% fit in this category), it was time for the liner.  He got hold of a head liner that was the next size up and a new 'worldcup' zip fit liner.  He told me that this has only just been released.  This is a low volume liner compared to thier other product and was an amzing fit.  I have had Strolz liners before - foam injected - insanely comfortable, but not a great technical liner.  This worldcup zip fit is very similar in comfort (not quite as good) - it is not foam injected but similar - they heat the boots and the liner and then fit you - the soft putty comforms round your foot.  This liner seemed much superior to the standard head liner.

So I am one happy, tail wagging dawg at the moment.  Funny how a big, pair of clunky uncomfortable "shoes" can light you up.  My wife, just smiles and shakes her head.  At least she knew I was ski nut before she met me.

Now I just have to get em on the snow AND it is snowing in Australia, so hopefully heading down soon.

All the best

Brendan

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: boot fitting experience - latest zip fit
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:17:02 am »
Hi Brendon,

I'm seriously considering the Zipfit liner. Superior Sports at Snowbird is the importer here and does an expert job fitting these. I have about the same alignment requirements as you; I need 0.5 degrees on the left foot but 1.5 degrees on the right.

My consideration is complex, I have two sets of boots, a Tecnica XT 24 plug boot and a Salomon Course consumer-race boot. The Worldcup Zipfit sounds like the way to go. Do these have the leather liner?

Did you eliminate the other Zipfit models from consideration and why?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Brendan

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 06:53:30 pm »
Hi Michael,

A lot of my decision was based on Peter Stone who works closely with Harald.  This new zipfit is a very laterally stiff liner, it is not leather. It is much more laterally stiff than the standard head s12 liner which is a pretty good technical liner.  The zip fit is way out in front in this department.  I have not seen the other zipfit but again this is apparently more advanced.

One of the big differences is the fit.  When you put you hand into the liner (after fitting) we are talking serious contours - really grabs you around the heel pocket and achilles.  There is just no way a regular liner could do this. The forefoot is neoprene -so low volume - which realy suits a guy with a very wide front foot - like me.   Another guy who was in the shop and has skied these says the more you ski them the more they conform to your foot.  Also he said they do not pack out, which I find really interesting.  As you know a regular liner will pack out after 20 days or so.  There are instructions on their wesite for fitting and it is pretty simple.  You just have to keep working the putty from different areas into the areas you want.  It isn't like fiiting a foam injected - you have to get those things right, one time.  The zip fits allow you to check it out and then reheat to keep working on it - much more forgiving process.

Hope this helps - obviously as you know, try before buy.

All the best

Brendan

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 08:41:15 am »
My atomic Ti's have a neoprene liner, No real pack out after 20 days. Just cold. FWIW, I am adjusted to within .5 degrees....billy kaplan rocks baby!

I am putting in boot heaters for this season. Thermic and Hotronic both have products that will fit in boots without changing the fit;even in race and plug boots. The batteries last a full day on the medium level. The price of a high performance boot is a frosty foot.....