Author Topic: Prayers for Doug  (Read 130 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Prayers for Doug
« on: June 25, 2007, 12:50:10 pm »
Our prayers and thoughts go out to Midwif...Lynn.....h er husband Doug passed away and I'm sure there's a great void in Lynns life right now. Doug was too young and really never had the time necessary to fight.....to young and gone to quickly.

I think of Lynn is our extended family and I know many of you do as well. I know she's having a difficult time right now. Any thoughts and kind words you can extend would be surely appreciated.

My best to all our fellow Real Skiers and a special Real Skiers Hug for Lynn.

Gary

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Prayers for Lynn
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:15:05 pm »

Lynn:

This is one of those times where there aren't really any words.  My condolences at your loss.
You are in my/our prayers.

Jim
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Barrettscv

Re: Prayers for Doug
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 06:59:03 am »
Lynn:

My condolences for you and your family.

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:04:55 am »
Here is the info on the services. They are having a "tell your story about Doug" service. I think this is a fantastic idea.

I asked if there will be a fund to donate to. I will post when I hear from Lynn.

The service is this thursday  at the Plaza Jewish Community Chapel at 90th St. and Amsterdam Ave  (NYC) . at one pm.

Brendan

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 11:42:29 pm »
Hi Lynn,

I know I have never met you but still feel very sorry for your loss.  You take care.

Brendan

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 06:00:02 pm »
Lynn, a good frined of mine who years ago worked with Doug regularly in NY sent me an e-mail about your loss.

All I can say is that you and Doug will be in my prayers.

I once said to a minister friend of mine who was diagnosed with prostate cancer, that I wanted to be there the way he had been there for me and my wife when she battled cancer but I wasn't sure if I could. His response was that "it is through the love of others that we experience the grace of God"

Hopefully the love that many are expressing towards you and Doug can help ease some of the pain and the loss.

Blessings to you, John.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 08:33:17 pm »
Doug died on monday morning at 8 am. I spent the last three days with him , sleeping at the hospital, as it had become clear that home hospice care was no longer a possiblility. His lungs had become saturated with fluid and oxygenation was critical. His service took place yesterday. My son, Zach, led the service. Multiiple people spoke. My husband was a cultural jew with no appreciation for religion per say, but a respect for the universe. There were over 350 at his service. I should have gone to a place that had more room as there were people in the lobby. He affected many, many people over the years. He had a positive way of looking at athletic endeavor/swimming that spillled over into peoples personal lives. John, you spoke with him briefly that day, you know that he could not help himself, if he saw swimming that needed help, he spoke up. He couldn't help himself .He volunteered? swimming knowledge over the years, because he felt that he had been helped? by many others along the way.
The years ahead seem quite empty without him. I am lucky in my family. My son and future step daughter will move in for the next few months, my step daughter and I are very close and shared many of these hard hours together. My 17 year old daughter has really shown her best side.
Doug was a force of nature, a great father and my best friend/lover. I look forward to getting my bike out and hitting the roads for my mind and body and all the memories I have of us doing this together thru the years.
With great appreciation of the realskiers community,
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 09:08:13 am »
Lynn, my bike has saved me many times!!!

My mother passed away in March of this year. I wrote this poem that day she died. Cycling can heal the soul.

The Resting Place

My Mom was born
In the hills of North Carolina

As children
We would ride up the
Blue Ridge Parkway
To walk and run up
The trails of Mt Mitchell

Excitement and anticipation
Ran with us
As we approached the top

My mom loved the mountains
And she knew them as home

After I moved west
She found her favorite spots
In the Headlands, Muir Woods and Mt Tam

It?s no surprise that
I often find my self
Pushing the pedals of my bike
Up these same hills

Anxiously awaiting the moment
The beauty, the glory and the wonder
And the peace that comes with it

She died this morning
Peacefully in her sleep
And again, I find myself
Pushing my pedals
Up the hills of Mt Tam
To the top

I am going to spend some time
With my mom
Surely, she?ll be there

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 08:41:47 am »
Lynn, Thank you for letting us know. Is there is a fund we can donate to in Dougs' name, I would like to do something.  It is a true testimony to Doug and his zest for life to have so many come to the service. I cannot imagine how you feel but I know you are also a strong, vibrant person and with family, friends and a lot of time, will heal. I am so happy that your family is near and you have some great shoulders to cry on and hold each up other with. Take care!