Author Topic: 2nd Annual Real Skier Trip Update  (Read 1443 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: 2nd Annual Real Skier Trip Update
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2007, 01:55:26 pm »
the new lift (6 pack) should be in for this season and the regrading of the beginners slopes will be finished as well. Not exactly sure of the location of the new lift but I blelieve it dumps out at the top over where the Maverick pipe area is and where you would can access the race runs like Vodoo and those runs. It will very useful, just not sure where exactly it ends.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2007, 06:55:19 pm »
bump
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2007, 09:15:22 am »
I actually stumbled across a great deal on radios this weekend. I got a pair of Midland GXT600's for $65 including the two rechargeable batteries and two ear/microphones. ?These are 5 watt units so I am thinking that you may get a 2-3 miles on the mountain which should be fine. The nice part is that they are VOX capable so you have the hands free ability. We will have to see how well they work with wind blowing, unless they are shielded mic's (which I doubt) they may not work well. This way one group can have one. I would think however, that it will be useful to have a few up there so if som ego in for a break or get separated, we can meet up.

I will get more info on the lift status for you.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2007, 10:01:48 am »
With your 3 watter's, we shoudl be in great shape. That should be plenty. Take a look at the crappy trail map and look over at Sunshine Peak. This is the ideal place for AM warmup runs and it offers a lot of vaired terrain, pitches and runs. There are 3 lifts that merge there. You can ski anyhting from greens to blacks to awesome trees from that area alone. Most will be very happy camping out there. Look from Kuss Cruise over to the right. The center portion over by the Storm Peak lift, that's another gret area that provides access to some really nice groomers (marked as blacks but very doable) great trees and natural terrain.

Going to the left is Buddy's run. this is a favorite run. Big, wide steep in some areas but with great views. on pow days, this is a great run.

Morningside park, which is off the back of Storm Peak, has a steep (did I say steep) headwall that goes into awesome natural terrain with some fantastic trees. This is incredibly beautiful!

On the front of Morningside, you will see the chutes, I don't go into them as they are true 2x blacks with 20' plus drops. however, to the right is a section called "Crowtrack" and "the ridge", its a open area steep, treed and rocked with some really fun terrain. Follow this down in to the are over by the meadow. This is all ope terrain, no lifts. ski down to Flying Z and over to Pony express lift.  You will find really fun but challenging terrain over there. Rocks, trees, a bit of everthing. I have to be careful in that area, my enthusiasm is greater than my ability! :)

http://www.steamboat.com/summer-int.aspx?CategoryId=565#improvements

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 01:52:49 pm »
Ron,...nice web link. They put 16 million into the mountain...heck that's about as much as your ski and wardrobe annual budget.

Ok...don't need to go there on this post.!

So...they really cut the chair time it takes to get up the mountain in the Christe area which was the biggest draw back to the old lift. There are some nice cruising areas over there plus isn't that the area where the "park" is?

The "Headwall" area they're talking about.....not sure what they're referring to. Shed any light here?

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 02:06:28 pm »
Gary, that;s the old lift area where the Voodoo and the other race runs are. The headwall area is just to the left of the gondola over where the beginners lift is and that whole base area ski zone. Its all beginners. ?Christy 1 & II are the lifts over to the far left, over by the slopeside grill (where Lynn and Jim are staying) those lifts are the ones that were painfully slow and dump you to the right of where you enter to get to Vodoo and vougue (that killer blue). Straight ahead of the lift is the entrance to Maverick park. The new lift will help to better access that area of the mountain that right now takes a bit of work to access.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 02:35:26 pm »
Yep...thank goodness they're upgrading that chair lift cause Voodoo was a fun warm up run and the park had great snow in it.

Still the Headwall area...didn't recognize it as a problem area but we didn't spend much time there either.

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 08:28:04 am »
The headwall was problematic for beginners, not a nice gradual slope. The grade sloped forward and to the side (not explaining well) so a beginner coming down the slope straight would have to deal with the slope grading to the left or right as well. This is not a good situation for beginners as you can imagine. The slope over by the Christie lifts are also a bit steep for beginners. Good point about the timing, if everything was torn up , its a good time to do everything.  That's one aspect that Steamboat was really lacking, it really didn't have any good beginner terrain at all. This will make a significant improvement to the overall quality of services offered.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 08:41:18 am »
Well sounds like you two Steamboat information addicts are just full of cool stuff.
Hmm...snowmaking:
It is nice to see that the resort is planning ahead, (for dryer winters, boo hoo?) and putting the money in to the resort to accomodate all skiers and lconstantly improve the experience there.

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 09:21:51 am »

Gary:

It's a construction thing Gary, not just information.  You know 'real men' like Ron and I like to know how things work, how are they put together.  Maybe it's as Midwif said, it's a guy thing.  Maybe Ron is right, do you "girly-men"   ;D  ;D pay attention to such things, or is wax and smoothness all that's on your mind?

Ron:  I think the word for what you were describing is a "double fall line" slope.  Tough for beginners (and for me) to figure out which way is down and which way to turn to slow down.

Sorry Gary, not serious just picking up on ron's earlier comment..    ;)
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2007, 09:34:21 am »
That's the term!  Thanks. imagine a skier on the snow for the first or second day......"which way to do i lean, how do I angle my skis?

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 11:59:58 am »
Yep Jim, got me pegged...."Wax and smoothness" is what I'm about. Finally, someone that really understand the real me.

As anyone who has ever skied with me, I am always waxing my skis and try and make every turn smooth and silky. Like that "silky" word I'll bet.

Knowing you two construction oriented skiers will be turnn' em with us at the boat brings a whole lot of relief to me.

Now do something constructive...go home and wax something!

I know with this crew, the belly laughs are going to be flowing!

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2007, 12:21:26 pm »
This is going to be a heck of a trip!? I am already planning a menu for the week

I am shipping out buffalo fillets and Buffalo bone-in ribeyes

Pasta night, rotini's and hot italian sausage,

good chiantis with both.

I am after some good elk tenderloin.....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 12:27:19 pm by Ron »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 12:55:33 pm »
He would love to this akin to shaving afterall.

We will have the tools there for sure. I will most likely bring out my iron for waxing as well.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2007, 01:55:05 pm »
This is going to be a heck of a trip!  I am already planning a menu for the week

I am shipping out buffalo fillets and Buffalo bone-in ribeyes

Pasta night, rotini's and hot italian sausage,

good chiantis with both.

I am after some good elk tenderloin.....

OMG, I am feeling pressure to come up with a menu at least as good.
"Play it Sam"