Author Topic: SuperShapes 4 Sale  (Read 176 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
SuperShapes 4 Sale
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:35:31 pm »
Some call me mad, but I assure you, this is not the case...well at least not in this matter.

I purchased  in Jan 2007, a pair of Head SuperShapes, 170 length. I first tried Rons 170 SS (Ron weighs in at 175lbs and 6 foot) at Beaver Creek where I had been on a pair of Fischer RX8's. I fell head (no pun) over heels for the SS and purchased a pair 2 weeks later.

At 5'81/2" and 155 lbs, I wasn't quite sure when I ordered whether the 170 or the 165 length was the right ski so given? my RX8's were 170's, and I have solid PMTS skills....I went with the 170. And here's what I found out: at Deer Valley last week I demoed the 165 length and could truly appreciate the difference.  I can tell you that both lenghts are outstanding but the 165's allow me to achieve the desired results  with LESS intensity of input for my height, weight, and skill set....KEY!

My new 165's came? in yesterday and I worked feverishly Saturday afternoon to get them ready for today, diamond and ceramic stone work and multiple waxing.  My time with them on the mountain today reaffirmed my great pleasure in downsizing.

Now I'm sitting with 2 beautful pair of Head SS, both might I add, tuned and waxed to perfection.
My 170's have been skied about 15 times out and are in excellent condition, as I said, got them early part of January.

Ron was kind enough to post them on Epic for me at a price of $525 including shipping.? I would consider a lower price to my Real Skier friends if anyone is interested, make an offer. I just can't have 2 pairs of the same skis in the house.

Pretty darn impressive skis that ski supurbly on ice, groomers, bumps, soft snow, boot high powder, hard pack, and spring corn snow, all conditions I skied them in. If you're say 165lb and up range, you  have strong carving skills or are working on them....this ski is an outstanding choice. This ski with the binding set in the stiff range will handle you big plus boys as well.
Looking at the sidecut, I  figured in would be a great short turn ski, but man, in the spring corn chopped up snow at high speeds, medium and long turns, this ski won't even shake it's head...(ok, pun time again)....very stable.

Well if anyone is interested.....I've got pictures I can send.

Hope all have had a great ski season...me....I'm still chasing snow!

Best,
Gary

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: SuperShapes 4 Sale
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 04:32:17 pm »
Gary, too bad it you didn't come to the realization sooner. I got SS's in a 170 last season and in my first 5 days of skiing this year I took 3 different chunks out of the edges. They are now my rock skis!! I went back and bought a new pair in January which I only break out when the conditions are rock and pebble less. I will say it is nice to have SS's as rock skis even it the edges suck for ice.

I'm sure you will find a good home for them. It is a tough year to sell skis. The snow was so bad all over the country that all the shops are blowing out new skis at ridiculous prices. Good if you are a buyer, bad if you are a seller.

I know two guys that have been looking for SS's in a 170. I will mention these to each of them.

I'm glad you love the 165 and that you found the right size. I'm 6 3" and 190 and the 170's are great for me. I can see how they would be a lot of work for you. JB.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: SuperShapes 4 Sale
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 09:18:03 am »
Thanks JB...you know I did demo the ski and found it to be more performance oriented than my RX8's.....and still, there was more to be had with the 165 length. Well, live and learn.

YIkes on your 170's and the rock event...would have brought tears to this mans eyes...

Since we don't have rocks in our area, I think if I go to a mountain like Jacskon Hole or Big Sky and they have a thin base...I might better rent a pair of skis.

You know, it's not that I found the 170s more work....it's that the I got more response from the 65's with the same amount of effort. I think primarily for my height, I feel more centered over the 165's so working the ski tip to tail becomes easier.

Hey, anything you can do to send someone my way is much appreciated.

Don't know what your travel plans are but keep in mind we are trying to get as many as possible from Real Skiers out to Steamboat December 15-20th.

Best,
Gary