Author Topic: The pursuit of quiver harmony  (Read 276 times)

Barrettscv

The pursuit of quiver harmony
« on: April 01, 2007, 07:48:32 am »
Well, this season ain't over? :P.

I finally pulled the trigger on a hardsnow SL ski. My quiver is in balance, with a 66mm SL race carver, 72mm versatile GS carver, 89mm all-mountain ski & 125mm wide deep-snow-only ski assortment.

I purchased a new 2007 165cm Fischer Worldcup SC. This is the first time I've purchased new-at-retail in years. Scott, aka Dawgcatching at Epic, is a ski shop manager from near Bend, Oregon. He was blowing these out for $400 with DIN 17 bindings installed, a factory warranty and a hot wax. I was not going to find a better deal.

The Worldcup SC is a 118-66-99mm cheater SL ski with a 14m turn radius. It replaces my 175cm Fischer Worldcup RC (112-66-97mm). I want to work on my short & medium turn radius carving technique, I tend to overly depend on GS turns & speed. Plus, the Contact 11 really fills the GS race-carver spot in my quiver very well, while being excellent in crud and bumps.

I considered the Head Supershape & a few FIS legal for SL race stock skis. I think if I had a two-ski quiver assortment, the Supershape, the '08 Supershape Magnum or the '08 Fischer Progressor would be a better choice. However, I have a two-skinny-skis, two-fat-skis quiver philosophy. I also like the challenge of trying to master highly specialized skis; skis like this Fischer SC and the Spatulas. However, the real world of variable snow make a ski like the Contact 11 or one of the "88's" much more usable than anything else.

So it came to the Worldcup SC. I like the feel of Fischer's, more lively than most, and the SC is a real powerhouse, Scott considers it to be "more race ski than recreational, and exactly what I'm looking for".

I'm planning a trip to Mt. Bachelor in April to pick up the ski and get a day or two of skiing in before the season ends.

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 09:24:20 am by Barrettscv »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: The pursuit of quiver harmony
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:49:22 am »
Michael. I'm sure you will love the SC's. They are reasonably stiff, but with a softer tail then the Head SS. Your purchase brings to mind my thoughts for the upcoming season and the current buying season whihc is upon us already with so many good deals.

My current quiver (not counting skis that I just don't take out anymore) consists of the Head SS 170, Fischer WC SC 165 (the older version with the tighter turn radius), Head IM 88, Fischer Atua 186 and the Lotus 138 192 (I also still own a pair of Nordics Blowers 185 used once and I never got them out this season due to the lack of snow).

The obvious missing link in my quiver is a midfat. Everyone knows that I generally dislike midfat skis. The time to use them that comes to mind is that day after a big powder day at Squaw. Having said that I generally really enjoy skiing the SS's in those conditions. Still, the IM 82 does call me at times. I often feel it is stupid to own a ski that I will use only 4-6 times a year, but if I see a giveaway deal on them you never know. I wouldn't mind demoing the IM 78 as well.

It's interesting that you are selling your RC's. This is the part of the quiver that I would like to expand. I think that I would like to get a race stock Slalom ski to use in gates and on days when the mountain is empty and a cheater GS ski to use at the same times. The cheater GS skis that I am considering are the Head SS Speed (and I am happy to buy the 05-06 XRC 1200 and save money), the Fischer Rc's in a 180 or 185, or possibly the Elan GSX (not a cheater ski but Scott says it is quite manageable).

As for powder, whereas I love the Lotus 138, I'm not sure it's a very good or practical resort ski (best for the backcountry and heli trips). I am intrigued by the Lotus 120 which has progressive rocker on the tip, no camber (I believe on the tail) and sidecut with a 120mm waist. This hybrid approach (which we are starting to see more and more of) seems to be the right balance for resort skiing.

As well, I own the IM 88's in a 175cm length. I would like to find a trade for the 186 length.? For me at my size and weight 6 3" 190, to use the ski as a charging ski in crud and chop and a powder day or powder afternoon, it just needs to be longer. The 175 is great on hard snow as a wide GS ski.

In the end, I just love my SS's and I skied them over 30 days this year. I use them in everything but 12 inches or more of fresh.? I also absoultely love my Atuas and they are great powder skis and versatile enough to use even after the pow is totally tracked out. I know I don't need any new skis, but I would never say that I won't end up picking up a few pairs, because as well all know, when the calling comes, so do the skis!!!

Barrettscv

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 10:21:31 am »
Hi JB,

Trading the RC for the SC was a little bit of a surprise for me too. My old RC is the 03/04 version with the Vist like race plate. The ski had tons of grip but, like all skis of this type from a few years ago, the sweet spot is small and the turn-in was a little sluggish. The biggest reason for trading at this point was the overlap with the Contact 11. Both of these models excel at higher speed GS turns and tighter SL turns were limited. The SC will allow me to work on my tighter turns and will be ideal for the tighter trails and crowded slopes of Vermont.

The 2007 RC with the FlowFlex plate is quicker feeling and has a larger sweet spot than the older model, while retaining its huge grip (according to trusted testers).

The Contact 11 also functions as my midfat. The ski was great in the natural & ungroomed snow of Lake Louise & Sunshine Village. I think the SS & and the Monster 82 make a good non-overlapping pair in the quiver. But the 88 would become the odd man out, too much overlap with the Auta & 82.

I might eventually trade my Inspired By Nobis with something like the Auta or Legend Pro. But not anytime soon.

Cheers,

Michael

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 01:32:31 pm by Barrettscv »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 07:36:47 am »
My prediction is you will be buying the IM78.......  Just remember I said that! ;D