Author Topic: 04/05 RX8 Question  (Read 434 times)

triculis

04/05 RX8 Question
« on: March 31, 2007, 10:53:56 am »
First time on skis at age 50 and found a new love.
3 years later, I consider myself a solid intermediate (6/7) working to improve.  Looking to conquer bumps next year.
I am in the market for new skis and demoed 06/07 RX8.  Wow, was that fun!
I have come across a pair of 04/05 RX8s that look like they have never been skied at a very good price.  I am concerned they not the same construction  as the 06/07's.  Have read the past threads, but see nothing on 04/05 construction vs. the 06/07s.

Can anyone help?

PS  After reading the forum comments on the Supershapes, I was considering these also, but concerned if they are too advanced for my level at this time.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: 04/05 RX8 Question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 12:01:11 pm »
These should be nearly the same as the new model. Fischer will make minor improvements in the RX8 from year to year. I have two pair of 04/05 RX8 and the changes from then to now are not significant.

The SS is more of a race carver than the RX8. The RX8 is a great ski for a wide range of skiers. I ski my son's 175cm, I'm 230 lbs.

Buy & enjoy!

Michael
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 12:04:28 pm by Barrettscv »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 12:01:55 pm »
Hope this doesn't come across like a sales pitch..but...I know Harold Harb likes to put his students on the SuperShapes.

Although the SS can perform like a race carver as Michael stated, if you're a solid 6/7, and have good carving technique, the SS could be a good choice.

I am selling a pair of 170's (see post). Be happy to answer any questions. Don't know your height and weight which might help.

I also skied the RX8s and it is an excellent ski. The last 3 years of the RX8 are virtually unchange except for the graphics.

If you're interested, drop me a line.

Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:19:52 pm »
ctric- What is your weight and height? The Rx8 is a great ski but if it's not the right length, its not the right ski.

PS- Take all posts to the Length site. ?Too much spam here.

triculis

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 05:15:38 am »
I am 5-11 and 200 lbs. (expect to be 190 next season)

Classified myself at 6/7 based on what I have read.  Put it this way, when I demoed the Fishers, I comfortably skied any black at Stratton that did not have moguls.  I can work my way down "easy bumps" on greens and easy blues.  Next years target is to really learn how to ski bumps and to ski really cruddy conditions better with speed.  Perhaps you can tell me if 6 or 7 is the right level?

I probably made every mistake possible (technique and gear).  Started reading Harald's books last year and this really made quite a difference. I ski PMTS and am working my to becomong a true "Harbivore".

Being on a good carving ski really let me know what it is all about.  Gear wise I am looking at skis and new boots.

Thanks for all the advise.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 08:49:41 am »
Well if you're interested based on what you have described...the 170 SS I own would be a great fit.

Boots, well...now that's where the real magic is. Don't know what you're on now but Head, Salomon, Atomic are all great boots I think, but having said that, whatever the boot, it has to fit the natural shape of your foot. If you want to improve, then get a good high performance boot,  one step below a plug (race) boot.

Get a good high performance fit. Depending on where you live, find a great fitter. Have alignment checked..KEY...and footbeds made if necessary.

If you want to see pictures of my Head Supershapes...send me your email address.

Let us know your home location and maybe we can come up with a great bootfitter nearby for you.

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 11:57:34 am »
Ctric, the SS are fine for you! If you are a growing 7, then you would be well-positioned with the SS's I am 6' 175 and ski the 170. Not knocking the 8, but the SS is a better ski hands down. The SS offers more precision, more stability and more versitile turn shape. For my .02, the SS also holds an edge better, The SS is a more demanding ski but this is good as it does not reward poor form and will help make you a better skier, This is why HH loves them. I have skied them for two seasons now and IMHO, they are the best on-piste ski out there, hands down, no contest. I actually own 2 pairs, one for home (east coast) and the other is in Steamboat along with a pair of Mojo90's. I know that Gary's pair is in near perfefct condition and is a very fair deal. I woud give it some serious thought.

triculis

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 10:34:22 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.
I will look into the SS skis.  I have read lots of good things aobut the SS's.  My concern was that the ski was not rated as forgiving and required very good technical skills.  Am correct to assume that as long as you control your speed (which I found I was much better at with a good carver) then this ski is good for an intermediate?  How is this ski at medium speeds?

As for boots, I have the Lange 90's which feel like they have gotten a bit sloppy this past season.  My plan is to focus on models that are given positive reviews on this site and settle on one that fits my foot shape best.  Any reccomendation you can provide is appreciated.

I live around NYC and ski primarily at Stratton, Okemo and Killington with Stowe and Sugarbush thrown in. One of the fitters I was considering is GMOL at Stratton.  Again any reccomendation is appreciated.  Boot are my top priority in terms of skiing investment for next season and I am willing to travel to get the job done right..

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 12:34:57 pm »
Well on the SS for different speeds...personally, I have skied them ski slow along the trail edge where it's cruded up and steep, and medium speed when skiing with the younger slow crowd and flying flat out when skiing with Michael and Ron.

All seriousness, this ski is the complete ski....the "bomb" as Randy Jackson from American Idol states. This is not a stiff "got to hammer it to make it turn" ski. It is very complianat, loves to help bring you into a turn and will let you sneak out of a turn if you don't won't to stay in a hard charging turn.  But if you get over the ski and use good edgeing and weight distribution....wow ...this ski is rock solid at all speed.....slow teach your buddy to ski to eyeballs back in the socket speed!

You've got some great resorts near by and they're getting more snow as we speak...awesome!

Email me so I can get your email address and I'll send you some photo's if you're interested.

Boots...oh yeah...glad to hear you talking that way. They are the magic in skiing. Green Mountain Boys are pretty knowledgeable. Just be sure the shell fits your foot correctly before the liner goes in, whatever boot you try on. But again...stick with the upper end high performance boots. Ron's guy in PA may be close enough for you to visit. He's a boot wizard according to Ron.

Best,
Gary

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 05:03:53 pm »
Just to throw another wrench in there-Both the RX-8 and the SS are great east coast skis--of a similar skind-very carvy and quick--the ss being more capable (in the right hands) and more demanding.  You should also try slightly different type ski as well-still narrow and more on than off-piste focused-just with a medium turn radius design--like the Dynastar Contact 11, or Fisher RC, just to get a different feel--especially if you struggle in bumps! These skis tend to tolerate skids and scarves (intentional and otherwise) a little better and still have a very high performance envelope.  I got to ski a Contact 11 the other day--darn great eastern ski. 

Honestly-at your level (getting down stratton groomers looking to learn some bump skills-recent learner) all of these skis would be fine- you should probably just scoop up whatever appears to be the best deal.  How much (with bindings) are they asking for the 05 RX-8's??  How long are they??

triculis

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:41:10 am »
The RX8's are 170 cm., appear unused and have the Railflex 2 bindings.? Price is $300.

Barrettscv

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 01:57:44 pm »
Great deal. The best I've seen for new is $350 with bindings for a 175cm and a deal for a 160cm, no bindings, for $200.

I purchased them both.

Michael
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 01:59:20 pm by Barrettscv »