Author Topic: Looking for ski for a bump novice  (Read 367 times)

abc

Looking for ski for a bump novice
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:22:53 am »
I just found myself gravitated to bumps even though I do it badly. I keep going back to them whenever I see them. But I'm still bad at them.  :(

I've taken a few lessons specific on moguls and it helped a lot. Now I'm actually "doing" them sometimes instead of being "done in" every time.

I've demo-ed a few skis and can tell I like the softer ones. But apart from that, I'm not sure what else to look for. I'm not looking for a mogul specific ski to do tricks or finish fast, just an all around ski with a friendly manner on bumps to help this bummer wannabee to improve.

Skier: 5'4, 110 lb female. I ski the bumps via the "slow line" at the moment.

I'm not restricted to women skis. I'm pretty athletic and ski at least semi-aggressively.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Looking for ski for a bump novice
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 01:23:30 pm »
The guys here are great and may give you some good options, but also consider posting at 'the ski diva.com site. A fair number of gear savvy woman skiers there to poll.
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

abc

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 02:08:19 pm »
The guys here are great and may give you some good options, but also consider posting at 'the ski diva.com site. A fair number of gear savvy woman skiers there to poll.
Lynn

Can't figure out that site.

Where's the forum?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:13:43 pm »
   theskidiva.com
You have to join, but it's free.
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 01:55:29 pm »
Hey abc..don't know if you got the info you needed but thought I'd add a thought here.

My daughter lives in Colorado and skis the K2 Burning Luv as her all mountain ski. She is a very aggresive skier, skis all terrain,  likes speed, and absolutely luvs her Luv.

You might consider the Burning Luvs sister the One Luv..Peter stated on our forum that most liked the One Luv better in the bumps.

Could be a good one to demo so go get your "Luv" on!

Best,
Gary

abc

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 02:09:12 pm »
Thanks Gary, the One Luv is indeed on my "to try" list. Glad to hear another positive vote on it, move to the top of the list.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 08:07:54 am »
I/m going to a different direction here. learn to ski them from an expert. I coudn't ski them worth dog-crap! I skied with gary this season and he taught me what he learned from John Clendenden and I am much improved. Not as good as Gary for sure, but I can get down some nasty double black runs now that I would traverse out of just last season. I only tell you this because some time we look to improve technique through gear and not through good lessons and practice. (Like I have)

abc

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 02:28:06 pm »
Gone skiing for a week (lots of powder, no moguls, go figure). Come back to pick up on the trail...

some time we look to improve technique through gear and not through good lessons and practice. (Like I have)

Not my case at the moment.

I've been away from the snow for some years (not too many, fortunately). I no longer have a usable ski, period. So I'm not "buying ability" per se. I'm just researching and demo-ing for my primary ski.

Most people's first ski isn't a bump ski because most intermediaates are afraid of bumps. But I've been there. I'm a solid intermediate who enjoys a challenge the bumps provide.

I've been steered by shops to advance/expert carvers, which works as advertized. But I just wasn't all that excited about going fast down the groomers. The "light bulb moment" came when they ran out the ski they thought I should try so they gave me a lower level ("intermediate") soft ski for free just to pass the time. I loved it in the bumps!

But I can't afford to have a 5 ski quiver. So a do-everything-but-nothing-great ski will have to be, just with more leaning towards the bumps.