Author Topic: realskiers length/type guides  (Read 229 times)

pleasecallinstead

realskiers length/type guides
« on: March 25, 2007, 12:41:03 pm »
I seem unable to ask a question on realskiers.com (http://www.ts2003.com/members/index.html), so I thought I'd post my problem here.? I love the site (benefited from Peter Keelty's ski reviews and testing links from onthesnow.com 7 years ago, prior to my first ski trip in awhile.? Just joined, as techsupportforskier s.com didn't have enough information, and I was happy to spend some money here, as even the advice there helped to select reasonable skiis to demo.)

I can't figure out the translations from the ski types used for 2007 ski reviews to the ski types listed on the length suggestion page (http://www.ts2003.com/members/sizing.htm).? For example, I'm interested in demo'ing the Head Fast Thang and Hot Thang; and the Volkl Attiva S5, but I can't figure out--are they race carvers?? slalom recreational?? The topic comes up because a short, light woman skier like me has trouble finding shorter skiis to demo!? I'm wondering how long I can reasonably go, based on what's available for me to demo.? The actual questions are moot, as I'm skiing tomorrow . . . but could the 2007 (& 2008) ski reviews specify the ski type for each ski, and could the length suggestions page be updated to fit with the current classification schemata (e.g. technical, tactical, etc.)?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: realskiers length/type guides
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 02:23:02 pm »
Just joined realskiers . . . happy to support Peter Keelty's (and others) work!? Here's the feedback:
I'm not spotting a way to provide feedback about technical problems unless my browser is linked to an email client by default, which it isn't on the public computers I have access to.
I couldn't submit a question from http://www.ts2003.com/members/index.html . . . and on techsupportforskier s.com, that's touted as a benefit of subscribing!

Some of the other guys may know better, but there are two levels of membership.? One is a subscriber and I believe just provides access to the reviews, and then there are members and they have "personal consulting" to Peter via email.? I'm not sure about that latter because I am just a subscriber.? By the way, this is the time of year when ski retailers are testing/reviewing new skis so Peter is ususally pretty inaccessible.? However, some of the regulars (Ron, Gary, Michael, Midwif) can give some pretty good information.

Oh, and here's a gripe about Eastern Pennsylvania retailers:? they are offering skis to demo like the Head Cool Thang and the Nordica Olympia Fox, and the K2 Commanche 2com as a high performance rental!!? Even the Nordica site made it clear that the Fox was for beginners!!!? It's a jungle out there without techsupport and realskiers!!!? I did waste some time on the Cool Thang because techsupport had no info on it . . . and it wasn't clear that realskiers would have more 2007 skis listed.

The sad fact is that the number of skiers really wanting to ski better is MUCH smaller than the group that wants to ski the "popular" skis and to "feel" like they are demoing "performance skis".? Providing beginner level skis is probably a wise choice on the part of the ski shops.? When I first joined realskiers a few years back (three now, I think) I was amazed at the information and how much it differed from talking to people in the shops.? I have since come to find that RealSkiers is almost always the most accurate.? Of course, you need to understand your skiing style and preferences vs. the styles and preferences of the reviewers.? Michael, for example, is an ex-racer so he prefers different skis than I do.? Peter's system does a pretty good job of differentiating the skier types.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: realskiers length/type guides
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 02:48:06 pm »
I can't figure out the translations from the ski types used for 2007 ski reviews to the ski types listed on the length suggestion page (http://www.ts2003.com/members/sizing.HTML).? For example, I'm interested in demo'ing the Head Fast Thang and Hot Thang; and the Volkl Attiva S5, but I can't figure out--are they race carvers?? slalom recreational?? The topic comes up because a short, light woman skier like me has trouble finding shorter skiis to demo!? I'm wondering how long I can reasonably go, based on what's available for me to demo.? The actual questions are moot, as I'm skiing tomorrow . . . but could the 2007 (& 2008) ski reviews specify the ski type for each ski, and could the length suggestions page be updated to fit with the current classification schemata (e.g. technical, tactical, etc.)?

Some information may be in the ratings.? For example, my analysis just based on the reviews.
Fast Thang:? Recreational slalom.? carve rating of 5, but skid (soft edge) says its not demanding like a race carver.? Also, skill level suitability of green, blue, and black indicates a very versatile skis suitable for a wide range of skiers.? Good to grow with.? A good ski.
Hot Thang:? Similar to Fast Thang, but not a turny and not as much upside.? Ratings of 4-4 for carve/skid.? For comparison, look at the review and the ratings for the Wild Thang and note the absence of the green skill icon.?
Attiva S5:? Looks more like that Hot Thang than the Fast Thang, not quite as quick a turning radius (15m) as a rec slalom, but less sidecut usually leads to better stability ratings (ski doesn't feel as much like it wants to wiggle back and forth when skiing flat on the bases).

FWIW, a waist measurement of less than 66mm with small turning radius is a slalom sidecut,? 66-75 is more of an all-mountain ski.? (Greater than 75 is ski manufacturer's current focus on selling new skis, IMHO).? I'm still a little confused by the technical vs. tactical, Peter just started this classification this year.

All three of the ones you mentioned are good skis (as are the K2 Burnin Luv and One Luv) but the Heads are more slalom like than the others.? Length should be in the range of your chin to your nose, I would focus on a ski in that length from the group that you have identified rather than "going longer".? Some of Peter's articles say that differences in length may in fact be more noticeable than differences from one ski to another.

Post your height and weight.? Midwif may have some specific thoughts, and Michael has two college age daughters that he buys for so he might have detailed recommendations.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 02:51:09 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."