Author Topic: New boots - what should I get?  (Read 323 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: New boots - what should I get?
« on: March 14, 2007, 06:34:56 pm »

I have very big feet ? duck shaped, wide across the toes (115mm at the widest point - which is 20mm back form the base of the big toe), my shoe size is US 12.? Also my second toe is longer than my big toe.

Brendan:  I ski Head S12's and do like the Head line.  However, if your 115mm width measurement is pretty accurate, you will probably need advice from a real bootfitter.  The S10/12 are, I believe, a 103mm last (the measurement of the forefoot width) and it comes with the cradle thingy that can be inserted to make it about a 100mm size.  The RD/RS series are a 97 mm last (I think).  Also, you will probably need a relatively narrow heel (my interpretation of duckfoot).  The longer second toe isn't that unusual (unless you and I are the only ones) so it's probably a minimal problem, but you may be looking at a fair amount of grinding to get the width without getting an overall too large boot.  I think you'll need to check with bootfitters to make sure that 1) your way of measuring is the same as the manufacturers last measurements, and 2) that there is enough plastic in the side to grind 5mm or so on each side.

I didn't get my boots from Harald, but I was very impressed with the overall assessment and the modifications they made to my footbed.  I would suggest going to them (or, as a minimum, get some boot suggestions from them).
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."