Author Topic: New boots - what should I get?  (Read 326 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: New boots - what should I get?
« on: March 14, 2007, 08:51:28 am »
Brendan, although I agree the S12 is a good boot..sounds to me given your current ski skills and your interest in PMTS....maybe the Head RS line might be the way to go. Still, if it's Head, make sure the shell fits your foot anatomically without the liner in it. Heel to toe is one check point but also side to side. You should not have any side play between the sides of your feet and the shell. Yes, there will be some grinding and heating of the shell to custom fit it, but the RS / RD series are their upper end boots.

Having said all that, there are some great high performance boots out there. I would reccommend not getting anything that is too stiff. The upper end Head boots are their version of plug boot. Although you may not find a companies upper end boots labled "plug boots," those upper end boots still may need some heating, grinding etc to fit your fit properly. They will also give you the versatility to ski "all mountain". Even some of the new plug boots, like Rons Atomics, give him the flex and versatility to ski all mountain.

Start with one that fits the same shape as your foot keeping in mind that some grinding will make minor adjustments, find one without too much forward lean, and one that fits snugly around your lower leg cause a lot of PMTS action happens here around the ankles.

I'm a big fan of the Head boots today cause they really fit my foot. Seek out the upper end boots, keeping in mind not too stiff, and go "Cinderella" on them.

Best,
Gary