Author Topic: Ramp angle and toe lift  (Read 512 times)

oboe

Ramp angle and toe lift
« on: March 02, 2007, 12:00:46 pm »
I have serious "back seat" problems and find that lift under the boot toe helps. However, my boots are Langes, with interchangeable/replaceable heel and toe lugs. I have the lower heel lug and the higher toe lug - and it's better but not enough. Knowing that I have a "Lange MF 120 comp" foot, what boots can you recommend that will (a) fit like a glove and (b) allow me to increase the toe lift angle?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: Ramp angle and toe lift
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 08:35:07 pm »
Hi O.B.

Consider the role that the binding plays. I would measure the amount of lift in the bindings.

I put a business card between the boot and the binding both front & rear. Then measure the distance from the cards to the base.

If the heel is more than 3 mm higher, the binding might be part of the problem.

What bindings do you have? Are you otherwise happy with your boots?

Michael

oboe

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 11:30:40 am »
Michael, the binding is what it is. I can only modify my boot and my technique.

RiDeC58

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 08:06:05 pm »
Maybe so Oboe, but if you really need more toe lift, a riser can be installed under the binding toe piece.  This is easily done by a good ski tech so if you are otherwise happy with the boots, consider this option.  It will save you the pain of breaking in and tweaking new boots.  If you are not happy with the boots, then sure look around.  I find my Atomic boots to be very "low heeled".  But I would avoid the entire boot fitting process if you love the boots other wise.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 03:50:06 pm »
Oboe, why not go with a more upright boot. Perhaps you answered this when you said Lange's fit your foot. Still,  Head is making some very upright boots (RS 96 and RD 96) and it appears that next years new race boot the Raptor (3 flexes 120, 130 and 150 and 2 lasts 95mm and 99mm) will be even more upright than the current RS/RD boot.

It is also easier to add forward lean in a boot than to take it away. I needed some more in my Head RS 96 boots and it is very easy to do (adding a velcro attached spoiler gave me the amount I wanted and needed). Most seem to struggle reducing lean and ramp angle on Lange and Tecnica boots.

Just my $.02. JB.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 10:18:38 am »
Oboe, I would seriously think 100 times before adding more ramp angle.

If you have a ski where the binding can be mounted say 10-15 mm forward..that maybe enough to get you to a centered and more balanced position on the ski. In the past, I used to feel to far in the back seat and used to as a standard have my bindings all mounted 1/2 inch forward of the standard factory setting. Some new bindings today allow you to move the binding.

Too much ramp angles tires out the legs and presents a very difficult position from which to ski varied conditions on the mountain.

Best,
Gary

rlspalding

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 10:36:13 pm »
I have serious "back seat" problems and find that lift under the boot toe helps.

Please dont take the following statement wrong, but Is it the boots or is it the technique that is the issue? I too have a "back seat" problem but its because of poor technique. So when I ski I have to keep telling myself to pull my feet back and to get out of the "back seat".  In PMTS, pulling your feet back one of the movements that is focused on as "proper technique".  Its only natural human reaction to lean back when your skis are heading down a mountain, along with the fact that your skis/feet will naturally be the fastest part of your body, kind of like they are "coming out" from under you.  PMTS also stresses a more upright position, and some ramp angle if your taller maybe.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 12:13:12 pm »
Couple of other things come to mind....1) hands held up and out where they can be seen...easy fix. This helps your balance and staying centered on the skis. 2)binding location...this for many is often over looked. Finding your center on your skis I think is key. Too far back and you fight to feel centered on the ski and overwork the shins when only subtle fore/aft weight changes are all that should be required. This "feels" like being in the back seat.
Best,
Gary