Author Topic: Boots for average woman's foot: HELP PLEASE  (Read 198 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Boots for average woman's foot: HELP PLEASE
« on: January 02, 2008, 01:51:55 pm »
My soon to be daughter-in -law has been away from skiing for 10 years. Since I have a vested
interest in all family members being ski-ready, I am buying her boots for the holiday season.
Hoping to hit some sales, but most important is a decent non-rotary boot. Will, of course, do a shell fit with her.
(Don't know too much, but did impress the sales guy at Princeton Ski when I did this for my daugher's new boots last year)

Any suggestions on a mid-level boot? Anyone know what HH and company feel are the models to look at currently?
BTW, she is 5#5 and weights 120. Shoe size 7.5, medium width.
THX for any info.
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Boots for average woman's foot: HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 02:25:34 pm »
I would suggest Dalbello, Head, Nordica.? (and then whatever looks cute)? ;D

I have always been impressed by Dalbello as a high value boot, and I think all of the above have been recommended at one time or another by Harald as not rotary.? The mid-level Heads got pretty good reviews by SKI magazine.

I now believe (maybe Gary/someone can corroborate this) that you can discern some of the rotary characteristics yourself (even without measuring the relative heights of the rivets on the side).? When I last bought boots I was looking at the Head S12 and? Lange (don't remember model).? I was neutral in both boots when standing up, when I flexed the Lange I was a degree or so out on both knees, when I flexed the Head I stayed neutral.? The boot fitter didn't call that rotary (in fact he argued with me that there was no such thing), but I believe that was the result of the rotary nature of the boot, the boot driving my knee to the inside when it flexed to help edge/turn.

When the shop checks alignment, if your alignment changes from when you are standing tall and then flexed, then I believe that is a function of the boot.

Happy New Year, by the way.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 02:34:06 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Boots for average woman's foot: HELP PLEASE
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 12:52:11 pm »
I would add another brand to the mix..Salomon.

Jim, I actually had the same experience going from Lang (where I needed cant strips under the bindings) to my Head boots where the alignment problem went away.

What I found when I applied pressure to the shin, my knees tracked straight ahead with the Head boot and with the Lang, the knees tracked inside and I could feel my heels push to the outside...rotary.

Good boot fit and alignment are are critical to moving in the right direction...LITERAL LY!

G
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 02:37:17 pm by jim-ratliff »