Author Topic: 2nd Annual Real Skiers Trip....dates  (Read 420 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
2nd Annual Real Skiers Trip....dates
« on: February 26, 2007, 11:48:14 am »
Hey Gang...
Setting up for the next trip of our Real Skiers Adventure...Plans are for Steamboat, CO....great early season snow averages, 35 minutes from the airport, Steamboats awesome champagne snow, excellent grooming and just a terrific mountain. Ron is now an owner there and I'm going to see if he can get us discounts pending the number of people that have interest in going.

The dates: Dec 15th-19th, 2007

All are welcome...we had such a great time on our last outing at Beaver Creek. Ron knows the mountain well and Steamboat offers such a wonderful variety of terrain.

Come join in for our annual early skiing adventure!
Hope to hear from a bunch of you!

Best,
Gary

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Brendan

Re: 2nd Annual Real Skiers Trip....dates
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 03:37:29 pm »
Hi Gary,

I don't usually get to North America until around Christmas but this sounds like a lot of fun, thanks for puttting it out there.  After a month in BC I am already thinking snow.  I won't know until later in the year if I can swing it but have pencilled in the dates jsut in case. 

After seeing the latest ski outfits in a recent post my only question is whether I will be banished from the group if I do not turn up in an orange ski outfit?  Does Harald hold camps on ski outfits or do extreme makeovers (insted of boot alignment)?javascript:void(0);
Grin

All the Best

Brendan

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 05:36:48 pm »
Brendan
I hung out with the guys a couple of days at BC and i have no orange (yet). Peer pressure is mighty powerful, however. I was eyeing an Skea orange jacket in Sierratradingpost.

Really, Ron is the true fashionista of the group. Everyone else just tries to look respectable. :D

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:25:07 pm »
Gary:

Thanks for posting the dates so early.  Do you have to be a RealSkier to attend, or can WannaBeeSkiers attend as well?

Count me in. 

This will also give me time to look for better color coordinated outfits (but I don't think I can do orange).
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 07:25:25 am »
We need a name for our crew.  Since most of us ski PMTS or some variant (blasphamy to some) I think that might be a good theme.  I think we should invite HH and Peter Keelty as well. We are real skiers in that we all have the same sickness that the "others" don't share. (Others are normal people who can't recite ski dimensions or understand our obsession with snow).  Clothes-wise, Steamboat is laid back, no pressure to "Style" there. Come as you are. Well, leave the football jackets at home please! 

Any ideas?

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 08:30:40 am »
Hey guys Orange maybe in...but having all you show up for that trip be the way better than "in"!

ROn....how about "Real Skiers"!

Hey Lynn...orange could just be you!!!

Harold or Peter showing up....not likely but heck,...I'd ask, no problem.

All level of skier soooooo welcome...

Thanks all,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 09:26:28 am »
Depending on how many show, maybe HH could do a group lesson of sorts. That would be a lot of fun. Lynn, think bright green,its the new orange  ;) 

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 12:25:07 pm »

Will have to see what comes up on SAC and Sierra Trading Post in lime green. ;D
Ron, I need your fashion advice. I got a Salomon jacket, brown with light blue insets from SAC. What color pants?? I can't find any brown ones around!

I am planning on joining you guys again barring the unexpected.
 Oh, bought new composite poles 2 weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but am looking forward to feeling the difference. Originally were ~$150, on sale for $85.

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:34:11 pm »
Hey Ron...I could check with Harold when we know the number of skiers going and see if he could do maybe a 4 hour clinic..

Right now we have Lynn, Jim, Ron, and Gary...maybe Brendon....4+ and counting.

Lynn....Not that I'm as fashion conscience as Ron and Jim...but why not try and match the blue insets from the Salomon jacket?
Also, they have some very cool plaid pants out there that might pick up your colors....and if all else fails...
orange pants!

Best,
Gary

Brendan

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 05:25:38 pm »
Based on all the posts above I have decided to start an intense training regime to prepare myself for this trip.  I am flying to Milano to study the latest colours in the world of fashion and meet with Giorgio Armani for his definitve take.  The latest word from the catwalks in Europe is, "orange, OH that's so last season!"

Best

Brendan

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 08:12:26 pm »
Lynn....Not that I'm as fashion conscience as Ron and Jim...but why not try and match the blue insets from the Salomon jacket?
Also, they have some very cool plaid pants out there that might pick up your colors....and if all else fails...
orange pants!

Best,
Gary
I cannot do PLAID! No how, no way! Also, the idea of light blue pants is...embarrassing.  Orange,hmmm, now there's a remote possibility.

On another note, the idea of group day with HH is great!
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 07:50:22 am »
Lynn...I beg your pardon...BUT..you would look smashing in the cool plaids they have out today for skiers...

Just ask Ron....he was foaming at the mouth for a pair but couldn't find the right colors after trying on a gazillion pairs.

G

Barrettscv

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 09:24:26 am »
Hello to the gang,

I always have a hard time planning next season while I'm still hoping to get more turns in this year? ;).

The good news is that I have two long weekends planned in March; I'll ski Banff & SLC.? ;D

Do I want to be at Steamboat in December?

:D YES :D
Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 08:19:30 am »
AWESOME! I am going to see what rates I can get for us. Here's info on my condo http://canyoncreek.trcdirect.com/ its a less than 5 minute walk to the gondola and has great views of the mountain. There are shuttles if you are weak......I walk over in my snow clogs with my transpack, They have great lockers right under the gondola. Sorry, not ski-in/out! If you want ski-in/out there are a couple of properties that offer, they may actually be less $ per night. Everthing is walking distance there as well and constant shuttle to the old town, down town area.  Also, check this out!  I think we shoud give it some serious thought!  ---Michael, my unit has a grill!  Bring on the Elk, baby!

http://www.steamboatpowdercats.com/ability/advanced.htm

Gary and I scoped this out. Click on the links for tree skiing and the 3rd link to the right called "Snowcat adventure videos" http://www.steamboatpowdercats.com/videos/index.htm

I think that we could all do the advanced.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 09:25:45 am »
Just want to keep the word out there and visible to we Real Skiers. Plan ahead...I know it seems like a long way down the pike but putting Dec 15-19th on your calendar for our 2nd annual trip will give you something to keep smiling about through the summer.

Jim...still hoping there's an outside chance you can make it.

Steamboat usually gets great early snow....light and fluffy.

Men, woman, and changeling's....it doesn't matter....if you have the passion for skiing, gear, technique, and clothing, we have a real blast.

Steamboat won't dissappoint anyone either with a great variety of terrain. Additionally, Steamboat Airport is a 30 minute shuttle ride to the mountain.

Once we know how many, we can start working on finding accommodation deals. (Lynn, we'll be looking for help from you in that area cause you got such a great deal at BC)

We hope to hear from more of you.

Best,
Gary