Author Topic: Another plug for plugs  (Read 242 times)

Barrettscv

Another plug for plugs
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:03:06 pm »
I was able to ski Mt Snow today with my Tecnica Icon XT24 and I was surprised how user friendly they were.

These boots were used a few time by a previous owner who had some very minor fitting work done. Who ever did the work must of known that I would be using them eventually, the fit is that good! Yes it's snug, putting my size 12 dogs in a size 28 plug boot is going to result in a tight fit. But no pressure points.

The cuff and boot soles are unmodified and I will need 1 to 2 degrees of canting before they are correct.

The performance on the snow is remarkable. As Peter noted, the boots are light feeling and the direct link between the skier and the ski is so sensitive that the already lively Fischer Worldcup RC at first began to act like twitchy SL skis. Fortunately the body and mind adjust and the skiing becomes more settled but with much greater response to the smallest input. I had been considering a cheater SL ski like the Worldcup SC or Supershape, however the RC now is so lively and responsive, I'll just stay with these.

The fit was tight enough that removing them at lunch was a good idea, but I do think I could stay in them all day. Yes they are colder than normal boots but again not a major issue with temps in the teens.

The boots are not way stiffer than my Salomon Course 130's IMO. The XT24 is the stiffest Plug boot made by Tecnica, but with my 225lbs they could be flexed with no issues. Mostly the link is very direct. Snow feel is excellent. edge-grip is only limited by desire.

If you are thinking about taking the leap into plug boots; consider doing it, but first find a fitter you trust. My good luck will never be repeated...

I'll update this info as soon as I complete the boot mods.

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:34:07 am by Barrettscv »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Another plug for plugs
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:04:20 am »
AWESOME!  as a fellow plug owner, there is no comparison tot he fit and responsiveness, just a bit colder!