Author Topic: Head IM82  (Read 1040 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Head IM82
« on: April 17, 2006, 11:15:44 am »
SKI: IM82 w/LD12's set +15
Skier, level 8/9 
Weight: 175
height 6

Overall impressions: It's not a hardpack ski but it thinks it is.  The 82 with the laminate construction is a real blast. At 122-82-108 it just like a SuperShape but with an addtional 16mm underfoot. You would swear the ski is much thinner and it is much quicker edge-2-edge than you would think. I found it to be very adequate on hardpack and of course it wa truly at home on loose wet spring piled mashed potatoes. Ater about an hour on this ski, I was able to rock it over and carve some serious trenches. It does take more effort and the boot to ski trasnsmission aren't like with the SS's but I was truly impressed. I did demo the 77's and I felt the 82's were a much quicker and more energetic ski.  IT is rock solid at speed (40mph) and a lot of fun. Short turns were more work but if you let the edges work and really used up and down hil edges, it wasn't a whole lot of work.

Piled up stuff:  what? what Piles? That's all I have to say! Turn em' on edge and watch the snow spray all over.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Radare

Re: Head IM82
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 11:59:55 am »
What Length? And, if 172, how short did they feel?
What lengths do you usually ride?

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 12:11:05 pm »
oopps, Yes, 172, forgot!  All other skis are 170.

rob

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 12:00:12 am »
As I posted in another thread:

"Having purchased a pair on M82's with a railflex plate late in the season, I can second what Ron has said.
These babies can carve.
They are also great, and I mean great, as crud busters.
Of course, with an 82 mm waist, one would expect them to do well in powder. Well, having skied them at Park City Mtn and Snowbasin in 8-12" of fresh, I can tell you that they didn't disappoint.
I was also quite impressed with them in some soft bumps. Haven't had them on hard bumps yet but hey, that's what next year is for."

DavisGentry

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 07:40:58 pm »
I spent a day on the i82 last week at Whistler - about 12" of fresh on top of a good base.  I've been skiing my Volkl Supersport 6 stars - 161 cm for two+ years.  I'm 5'5", 130 lbs, level 8 or so.  Found my 6 stars to be a bit challenged in the heavy stuff and the last day decided to demo something else.  The i82 (also 161 cm) has changed my life - gonna buy a pair in the next month.  Great in powder, decent on bumps, good on groomed.  MUCH less energy involved in deep snow than the 6 stars.  We ski mainly Snowshoe in West Virginia, with trips out west once or twice a year.  I'm gonna keep my 6 stars in WV, and use the i82s any time I head west or Europe.  Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my 6 stars - and wouldn't think of getting rid of them.  But the i82 is far more versatile, especially where you can get into the trees and have some fun in snow more than ankle deep.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 08:40:48 am »
Just finished sking on the 82's in 10" of pow, broken, crud and soft groomed and soft bumps. The 82 truly excelled in all conditions. It was expecially excellent on the soft groomed where it was a pure fun to carve at high speeds. This ski is nearly as fun as the SuperShape or any other groomer ski on softer conditions.