Author Topic: New Ski Advice  (Read 305 times)

Krivanka

New Ski Advice
« on: February 08, 2007, 11:35:49 am »
I'm looking to get a new pair of skis in the near future and don't really have the time or the ski resorts around me to go out and demo many skis. I live in Ohio and mainly ski in western New York, with a trip out west for a week every few years. I'd like something that will be suitable in both places. I'm 25, 6'1" 190 and ski about anything, albeit not always very well. I would say I'm an intermediate skiier that likes to ski all over. I'd like to get a ski that will suit me now, but also leave me room to grow into it as I get better.

I've tried to do as much valuable reading as I can and some of the skis that I've been looking at are below. If anyone has any personal experience or words of wisdom I'd appreciate it.

V?lkl
Unlimited AC2

K2
Omni 5.5

Dynastar
Contact 9

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: New Ski Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 11:46:35 am »
These all look like good choices. The Contact 9 in a 172cm will offer the highest performance and will be most useful when traveling out west. I would also consider the Head Monster 72 in a 177cm for what you describe.

Cheers,

Michael.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 02:14:04 pm »
Krivanka...rushing into a new pair of skis is risky..

But let me add a few other options.

Fischer RX8....hard snow, crud buster and powder up to boot high

Elan Magifre 8...not as nimble as the RX8 but tons of versaltility

and thinking outside the box...the Atomice Metron B5...truly a multi task kind of ski. Requuires getting used to the width...likes to turn alot at least from my ride on it.

Of the choices suggested I think the Dynastar Contact 9 and the Fischer RX8 would be my favorites.

Length for you...around nose high.

Best,
Gary

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 03:23:08 pm »
My first bought skis were the k2 escape 5500 which was the precursor to the 5.5.  The K2 5.5 is a great value ski.  I was recently back on my 5.5 and had a lot of fun.  They are actually a good bump ski because if you have to you can easily skid the tails.  That said here is the downside;
K2 doesn't give much rebound, the ski doesn't give back much energy.  It is very stable and will go at pretty good speed unless you really want to fly like a bat out of hell. 

The easy skidding has the downside that if you want to really learn how to carve, you have to concentrate to not let the tails skid.  This can slow progress you may get on a less forgiving ski initially.  These will carve though with the right technique. 

A better, (more expensive ski), may grow with you for a longer time frame.

That said, I really enjoyed my skis and they really helped me move from novice to an advanced intermediate.  They are competent on black slopes and will even go into 8" - 12" powder well.  The biggest thing I notice is the difference in energy/rebound.  If you like rebound, you may not like the K2.  Peter's rating of 3 for everything and 4 for forgiveness is fair.  They don't shine at anything but do everything adequately.  Basically comes down to passion and budget.
Perry aka skidaddle

John

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 07:00:13 pm »
I bought Elan Magfire 10's this year and skied Banff, Fernie, B.C. and Big Mountain in Montana. I love these skiis! They carve through crude, icy conditions, and are great on groomers. If I were a better skier I would enjoy them more. They tolerate mistakes and respond. I am going to add a pair of Fischer RX8's to my repertoire, but at this time I'll wait till next year before doing so since I feel so comfortable with the Magfires. As an advanced intermediate, I recommend them. Ten days from now I'll be back on Inspiration at Big Mountain. My goal is to ski 30 days this year and I'm at 20!