Author Topic: Roll Call - 2013-14 Ski Season  (Read 789 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Roll Call - 2013-14 Ski Season
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:06:43 pm »
It's mid-September, the season approaches, and time to get our forum more active. I'm asking those who intend to remain active during the ski year to sign onto this post and offer any thoughts about how we can get back to where we were last winter. We took a very heavy hit at the end of the season when some very active members choose or were asked to stop posting. Then our web hosting site was unavailable for extended periods. Not a good place to be for an internet forum.

I don't want to assign blame for the issues that arose between members; I just need to ask what we can do to make it better. Mistakes were made, and, I burned some bridges myself with words that were less than conciliatory and not well thought out by this moderator. My life experiences with other skiers is we find a way to share the common joy of skiing, rather than choose to clash over differing opinions. Speaking personally, I do not wish to be at odds with anyone over how I think about turning my skis or how well I actually ski...which is not at a very high level, or how others ski. Life is too short for such trivia. 

In a conversation with High Angles last year in Big Sky, he commented that we had a really good thing going in our forum, and, he hoped we could return to where we were. I share in his wish and commit to doing whatever I can to further the forum.

So, I encourage all to start new threads and to comment on posts by others.

What do you think about any of the above?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Roll Call - 2013-14 Ski Season
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:29 am »
Living Proof:

I echo your sentiments about last years forum interactions going where no one needed to go.  I had heard of the religious fervor that accompanied discussions of ski technique, but I had never really experienced it first hand.  Like High Angles, I enjoyed hearing the different points of view.  I wasn't looking to be "converted" to either religion, I just enjoyed the interaction.

I haven't paid much attention to the forum performance this summer (other than to be amazed at how poor it has been) since I've have had lots of other concerns that were of greater importance.  I will check into moving the forum to a site where performance isn't an issue, but should be able to make that invisible to users.

However, I don't plan on being the judge while the factions argue about where EpicSki did this or didn't do that.  I don't see how that contributes anything to any forum at this point.  If we have to argue, let's pick some other inane topic like whether the earth actually revolves around the sun or not.

I thought Liam's kick off topics last year were excellent and quite well organized.  Perhaps someone has similar ideas.

Emotionally, I feel like I've turned a corner of some sort.  I'm just going to ski the skis that I have and not get "impassioned" about the latest and greatest ski gear.  ---  Of course I've heard JBotti say that in the past and then he gets the fever and buys a pair (or talks me into buying a pair) of skis a month later.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that primary among these is respect from their fellow forum members, even when they disagree."  :)
Treat others as you would want to be treated? 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:39:42 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:24:00 pm »

All,

Count me in for the new season.  Last season's quarrels are a distant memory, and I'm looking forward to a fresh start for a new season ... including a new hosting platform!

Treat others as you would want to be treated

Jim,

That sounds good at first.... But as I tally up all the boots, skis, trips to the Alps, and new bicycles I'd be buying everyone, I'm having second thoughts.  I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm not that good a man.

To be clear, my moral weaknesses shouldn't prevent others from treating me properly.  Who's picking up the tab for my new pair of Raptor B2s?  An admirer has already paid for my 3 season passes, so there's no need to pick up that expense.  I do, however, still have available an opportunity for a noble soul to sponsor the cost of my spring skiing trip to Hintertux, Austria.  Opportunities are limited, so don't delay.

Highangles,

A quick calculation based on the chair 1 weather station at your home mountain shows that the wetbulb temp is 24.6* and rapidly falling.  Guns may be roaring tonight.  The summer heat is breaking and it's time for you to come out of hibernation and help us get started on an even keel for the season.  I'll be out your way at least twice this season.  Would love to make a few turns with you again.

Todd

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:19:02 pm »
Tell us more, pray tell, about this benefactor who has provided you "multiple" season passes??
And can I get an introduction?

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 03:28:19 pm »
Jim,

I have no desire to disturb your domestic tranquility.  Would Fischer Ski Babe respond favorably if you were to acquire a younger benefactress?

8)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 06:11:55 pm »
Hmmm.. Love  or free skiing. Hmmm.
Fischer Ski Babe might be in trouble (or I might be once she reads this).

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 04:37:27 pm »
Nah, you got a better offer than what I have, go for it.

Yes, I hope this season on the forum  is filled with conversation, passion and fun, but not the rancor that ensued.
We all participated in hot headed responses and no one is without fault. Including me.

Some posters may not return, but new posters may join.

At the end of last season, I felt that  I had enough of all forums and the attendant lack of civility generally prevalent.
Or the lack of freedom of topic.

It seems that PMTS is just too combustible a subject for anywhere but it's own site.

I look  forward to the last months of biking, the first days of skiing. I hope to take a lesson or two this winter and improve.
Hell, I might even be in the market for a big fat off piste ski for me!
(the beautiful wood skilogiks were not for me, too stiff).

Looking forward to ski 13/14.

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »

I look  forward to the last months of biking, the first days of skiing. I hope to take a lesson or two this winter and improve.

Watch out for that minefield Lynn.  PMTS was the inflammatory topic of the last decade.  Lessons are the new topic.  Take a look at the epicski.OnTheSnow.c om site.  Disputes over lessons have run a thread up to 15 pages in very little time  :o 

That thread reveals the secret to gaining passholder status quickly at OnTheSnow.  Find a fault line running through the ski line with many skiers on both sides.  Start a thread by implying moral superiority for one position.  Feed the fire occasionally with new posts.  Each post will produce many thumbs up from your "co-religionists."  Voila, passholder status in days.  I'm thinking of joining that site to see how quickly I can rack up passholder status  ;)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 07:17:52 pm »
Oy vey
"Play it Sam"

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 08:04:11 pm »
Welcome back to the posting life, Lynn.  I lured you into posting twice in one day!  Stick around, please.  The place is more fun with you around.

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 08:18:53 pm »
Snowhot, philpug, et al:  I was just joshing.  I'm not gonna start a mega helmet or my pass got pulled for speeding in total control in a slow zone thread on your forum.  At least not to collect prestige points  ;D

I'll be on snow in a few weeks ... Can't wait!!!!  Peace, snow, and wicked angles be unto all skierdom!  (And save your foul tempers for the iPhone auto spelling mangler tool)

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 05:05:45 pm »
I'm lurking...

< please get this site hosted somewhere that can provide decent performance! >

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 07:37:23 am »
^^^^^^

High Angles....I hear ya and share your frustration. Performance of this site has been much worse than Obamacare rollout, but, we don't get the national publicity to fix it. I know Gandolf, our sole IT guru, has attempted to contact the hosting site to determine how and if we can get our data moved as is co-mingled with a much larger database. Not sure they have been responsive at all, so Gandolf, can you give us an update.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 12:29:06 pm »
REVELATIONS!!! :o I'm feeling all Joan Biaz..and actually very relieved!

Civility.....respec t....and the Golden Rule!

SO simple!

G