Author Topic: Bike Recommendation...for you  (Read 108 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Bike Recommendation...for you
« on: October 15, 2013, 08:21:26 pm »
Hey Liam,

Sounds like you're in the market for a new 29er? Or 650B perhaps? There are sure some nice bikes on your short list.  You are right about Norco build quality -- solid stuff.  Banshee too, of course. 

If you can find one, take a hard look at Devinci bikes.  Their full suspension designs are by Dave Weigle, and use a split pivot design that is really cool.  My brother rides a Dexter model from a couple of years back, and it is a really sweet ride.  Very well made - as solid as Norco.  Snappy acceleration, too, for a full-suss bike.  FWIW, their downhill team won the World Championship cup this year, so good cred in their lineup.  For 2014, they have done away with their 26" XC full suspension designs and have gone to 650B.  Interesting....

If you like Norco, take a look at their Fluid 1 29er.  Some good value there, given the spec package and price.  I have not kicked the tires of one, but that bike comes from a long line of very high quality all-mtn rigs.  My father-in-law rides an older 26" Fluid 1, and it is just a great bike.  Built like a tank, and very natural feeling handling.  Horst link suspension, I think...

As for myself, no need for a full-suspension 29er in these parts.  I do just fine with my Fisher hardtail.  Local trails are pretty smooth and flowy, so rear suspension would be overkill.  I've spent quite a bit of time lately getting the fit of my bike dialed (shorter cockpit, wider bars, etc.) and am very happy with the handling now.

Have fun with your test rides! Keep us posted on how things are going....