Author Topic: Skiing in Maine Video  (Read 311 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Skiing in Maine Video
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:41:07 am »
Hey all,

As I said in an earlier thread--I'm now a big fan of Saddleback ski area.  Incredibly friendly, pretty, and challenging place to ski (some of the best glades I've ever skied...some are wide a easier, and some very snug and steep-but all have a really great flow-the mountain ops are directly involved in creating and sustaining the glades-as a priority and not an afterthought-and it really shows!).

Anyway, here is a brief video of Myself (in orange) and Greentrails son (skiing some smooth tele-turns on my old Icelantic Nomads) skiing a typical steep and interesting saddleback run called Warden's Worry (last open pitch before the Casablanca glades for those who have skied here).

Snow was spring like, and really deep (In fact, I trip over the top of a small pine about mid way...I save the fall, thankfully  ;D).  There are lots of great runs like this at saddleback, plus the copious glades and a decent amount of basic bluecruisers.  As you can see in the film, the views of the mountains and Rangeley lake ae wonderful as well, and ever present on most runs.

This is a great, economical place to ski-and I hope every easterner gives it a try in the near future (I'd wait until after next week's snowstorm...)

Enjoy:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/95775438/GOPR1278.MP4

FWIW, this is actually fairly steep and tricky-ish terrain, and the Shamans allowed for easy, mellow cruising--which, is what I like.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Re: Skiing in Maine Video
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:46:36 am »
Looking at the above video and contemplating the refrozen surfaces of western mass, those delightful spring surfaces seem a Long time ago and not merely 4 days ago!!

Variability is a delightful euphemism for New England skiing!!