Author Topic: Saddleback Maine is a damn great ski area  (Read 480 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Saddleback Maine is a damn great ski area
« on: March 12, 2013, 02:53:02 pm »
Man,

we've had two great days (one pure spring, today wet, but still awesome in terms of coverage and snow surfaces) so far in Saddleback.  The kennebago steeps and glades are really impressive, as are the other glades and bump runs (and they have some really wonderful, lazy fun groomer cruisers).

FWIW-These are some of the best glades I have skied anywhere..some are gnarly expert, some are downright parklike, but they all ski and flow great...seriously, when the snow is in this place rivals Jay Peak (I like it better).

The lodge and restaurant are beautiful, staff friendly and price is as cheap as you can ski in New England!

If you get some spring temps and some time be sure sure to check this place out prior to the end of the season.

Oh, new admission, the Icelantic Shaman 161cm is the best new england tree ski I've ever used (this coupled with a true carver would cover 99.9% of all my skiing in New England).

Head Rock n Roll (2013, 180cm, Rossi Axial 140 XL bindings) are for sale.   Seriously.
Liam

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:55:50 pm by Liam »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Saddleback Maine is a damn great ski area
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 02:12:40 pm »

Oh, new admission, the Icelantic Shaman 161cm is the best new england tree ski I've ever used (this coupled with a true carver would cover 99.9% of all my skiing in New England).

Liam,

It's great Maine is working so well for you. I've almost never been to Maine, and, should schedule a mini-trip to ski the major areas....someyear. Your wet day up there was some very serious rain here, my local mountain shut down for the day. A friend was taking day 2 of a Level 1 PSIA certification and they made her ski for the full day in a downpour. Good news is she passed.

Are the new Shaman's really 161? Seems very short.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:27:18 am »
It was my first time skiing in Maine as well. 

The 161cm is the original length of the Shaman.  Ben Anderson only made longer versions (up to a 184cm) because people were too skeptical about purchasing such a short all mountain ski.

Truthfully, If I were primarily a big mountain western skier, I'd want a longer length as well.  Though, green trails other Son spent 10 days at Big sky on the 161cm Shaman, and he loved it (though, he admitted that the other guys on long, rockered skis could go quite  a bit faster in really long off-piste sections over 3000ft of vertical descent-in Narrower chutes he said he skied as fas, if not faster than most).  But I have a Ski Logik Howitzer in a 186cm length for filling in big spaces at speed.

For the typical east coast all mountain skiing I pursue, the 161cm is a the perfect ski. It's easy to ski, handles reasonable speed, and the tip is just unflappable in varied snow.  The short length (with a 110mm waist and 160mm tip!) is part of the magic.

Check out this go pro video -take a gander at the speed, air time and terrain being negotiated by the camera wearer...he is 6'1" and on the shaman 161cm:

This is a hike-to-ski back country run in the Adirondacks.  I would fast fwd to about the 3 minute mark to get a sense of what this ski can handle.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:30:51 am by Liam »

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 04:33:27 pm »
Liam,

Unfortunately the wet you mentioned for your 2nd day ended up being about 1 inch of rain for the Maine mountains. I can not speak to Saddleback but it kicked the 'loaf hard. Saddleback and Sugarloaf are only about 10 miles apart as the crow flies. Trails and glades such as you were on at Saddleback (Wardens Worry) are closed (boilerplate moguls) on both mtns. Luckily there is a storm on the horizon for Tues/Weds. That should right the conditions problem for glades / moguls at both mountains. There is still plenty of snow on these 2 mountains that at least should allow good skiing into mid to late April. Should you get up to Maine again, give me a hollar. Love to do some turns with you.

Glad you enjoyed Saddleback. Great "little" mountain but it ain't the 'loaf. (I feel it coming, Saddle does have 2000' vert but it still ain't the 'loaf).

Cheers

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 05:36:17 pm »
Hey, have no doubts Sugarloaf is da bomb! My travel companions have skied Sugarloaf quite a bit, and conditions being what they were (and the price was right) we were content to stay put at Saddleback.  We had originally planned on Hitting S-Loaf on Wednesday, but after the rain, I felt it would be paying a lot for frozen groomers.

I just loved the whole Kennabago steeps and glades set up at Saddleback (and the coverage plus surface conditions rocked Monday Tuesday!).

I will be back up that way in Early April it looks like, I'd be happy to meet up then and ski just about anywhere up that way.  I think Greentrails and his sons will be up there in a week as well.

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 02:33:52 pm »
12-15 inches of fresh pow cures a lot of problems on any mountain. The locals (that includes ME  :P) had the trails skied out by ~9:30. Still lots of powder in the trees. I killed my legs on the 'loaf so I can't speak to the status of Saddleback - BUT - suspect this snow will have opened up the glades/trees at the saddle. Sweet skiing in Maine. ;D

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:11:38 am »
Saddleback is talking two feet....Maine had great coverage already, but now it looks like an April to remember...I'll get up there again, soon.