Author Topic: Knee pain in skiers and cyclists  (Read 546 times)

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Knee pain in skiers and cyclists
« on: March 09, 2013, 11:37:56 am »
So I saw my ortho guy yesterday.  He really is a wizard with knees.  He took a history, did a very thorough exam, and demonstrated for my what my exact problem is.

Turns out that in the past 7 - 10 years almost all my activity has been skiing and cycling with a little golf thrown in.  These activities ( esp cycling) really activate and build the lateral aspect of your quadriceps muscle.  Mine started to pull my knee cap laterally and I started getting cartilage irritation and damage from that.  (the bad news ) The good news is that if I work my VMO muscle, I can balance that out and fix the problem with rehab. ( you also have to check your flexibility, stretch IT band if tight etc - as always it is all about balancing muscles that are appropriately stretched.)  My flexibility is good, muscle balance not so much!

Doing some VMO work can prevent this.  Tons of good stuff on web.  My guy said that it mostly works in the last 10 degrees of extension and that is where the rehab works best.  So here is a good link to one simple exercise anyone could do.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/02/video/monday-minute-vmo-dip_2064

Hope this is helpful to others.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Knee pain in skiers and cyclists
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 06:07:28 am »
Perry, this is very interesting and most helpful.  I've recently had a few discussions (usually initiated with my moaning about my sore knees  ::) ) with other avid skiers and cyclists who have experienced exactly the same problem.  Like they and you, I have done little else in the past few years except cycle and ski.  Not exactly a well-rounded fitness regimen.  The guys I've talked to have all alleviated this problem by taking up other activities in addition to skiing and cycling.  Trail running, squash, nordic skiing etc..  The idea is to use different muscle groups and balance out the forces on the knee.  Adding some variety, as it were.

Until your post, I did not understand the physics (biology) involved, and why this was happening.  In the absence of any immediate plunge into another sport, I will start doing some exercises to work the VMO.  YouTube has at least one good video on this too ().

Good one - thanks for posting Perry.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:11:40 am by Svend »

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Knee pain in skiers and cyclists
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 01:17:08 pm »
Svend,
I like that video.  One of the things that you start to pick up is that part of the solution is developing a neuromuscular habit of activating the VMO during knee flexion which keep tension on the patella.  This enables the patella to track on center. The squat while pressuring the ball develops that habit.