Author Topic: New Ride - Elan Waveflex 12  (Read 634 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: New Ride - Elan Waveflex 12
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:17:33 pm »
Hey guys, I had a good chance to experience the Elan Waveflex 12's at Lake Louise. We had 2 days there with conditions from hard pack to granular to 4 inches of crud along the edges. One day I even had 4 inches of fresh pow to play in. ( Perry, I did not have a chance to demo the RX12's, although I considered them, I didn't think they would have enough versatility for my liking.)

There's something very smooth and co-operative about the Elans comapred to the MX78. The Elans crave the turn, the edge angle while the MX78 needs a little more proding to get er there.

But I think I covered most of that in my initial review...here's what I didn't know then that I know now.

The only thing I felt there was a shortfall on the Elans was it's ability to remain stable in the crud where I would want to drift, scarve or float the skis a wee bit more. Coming out of those conditions,  the Elan's hooked up like to Bud Horses sensing mares in heat...
But a solution was at hand. I figured out how to make them more co-operative in the crud and bumps. A simple fix actually....I took out my gummy stone and smoothed out the tails about 3 inches back..and things got better but not totally what I wanted...the shovels still felt like they wanted to pull me out of the drift or float as soon as the front edge made snow contact. (not good in the bumps) Knowing that each foot specific ski had a baby toe rockered edge, I gummied that edge to point of snow contact...and that's all she took. I have't noticed any adverse affect for carving but the skis become way more versatile and I still love the way they carve.

Are the right ski for everyone ....probably not...but for me....I've got that carving feeling, hold on to your shorts "we're rippin' turns here"!
As always...give um a ride and let me know your thoughts.

Best, G
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:31:32 pm by Gary »