Author Topic: Young Rippers_ The Future of Skiing is bright  (Read 604 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Young Rippers_ The Future of Skiing is bright
« on: March 04, 2013, 04:16:45 pm »
One great thing about Patrol, is that it is often a multigenerational family affair.  We have have a significant number of adult patrollers who grew up on our mountain as the children of patrollers (many of whom are still active). It's not uncommon to share the patrol house with three generations of Patrollers on a saturday morning.  These guys and gals (ranging in the late 20's to, in some cases, mid 50's) embody the best in our sport.  Not just as very strong skiers, but people who made skiing a permanent lifestyle choice WITHOUT becoming ski bums.  They work at fitting all of it in, including family and friends, and link it together with some high-minded volunteerism and sweat equity.

It's that passion for skiing, that desire to be part of a larger community in a very hands on way that got me into patrol in first place (and sustains my love of the sport).

This year, I have had a great time watching my own 10 year old begin to really step up his skiing with some of the other budding hotshot patrol-kids (the best of whom are girls right now).  They've all participated in the excellent race program at B'East and they have really begun to push the boundaries of skilled free skiing, and I must say, as an old bull watching their growth (and having become friends with adults who grew up this way), I find it extremely pleasing and inspiring.

These kids get it, they're not punks, or bums, but they have a passion for the sport, a pursuit of skill, and a great sense of responsibility and belonging to something bigger in their ski experience. 

And honestly, they rip.  And everyday they rip more.  Although I wouldn't put up videos of mine or anyone else's kids (I respect the privacy of minors) I would love for any of us jaded older skiers who lament the disappearing advancement of technique and general skiing joy among the general skiing public to see this group of kids just laying it out on a steep groomer or a field of cruddy bumps--You'd get a good feeling that all is not lost and hard core skiers of the future won't just include the reckless, self-inulgent daredevils. 

Just something I thought about this weekend...must be the signs of Spring creeping up on me.

Been a good winter, by the way!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:03:06 pm by Liam »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Young Rippers_ The Future of Skiing is bright
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:28:53 pm »
I say ask permission, shoot some video and post it.  Who knows they may get curious and come visit the site.  Couldn't hurt!

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:42:34 pm »
I say ask permission, shoot some video and post it.  Who knows they may get curious and come visit the site.  Couldn't hurt!

The Father of one of the skiers in question (a girl I consider the best kid skier on the mountain...free skiing) is a member here.  And even with permission...I don't think a minor can give permission, so all video either feeds a parent's vanity...or depending on the response, jabs at a parent's inflated referential ego.  Neither is a good outcome.  Though, maybe I'll soften on that stance...what do you think Greentrails and xcskier: A Vid of the two girls and shorty on Grizzly? It looks cooler in person.

My buddy Luke (who learned to ski at 16, spent 5 years living in Tahoe as a full time instructor and then two in Taos, and one in the French Alps) marveled at these kids this weekend:  Not that these kids did something unusual or were 'off the charts talented', but he pointed out they were already using skills that took him years to really understand, and he noted the benefits of youth coupled with opportunity and the perfect socio-cultural environment for learning. It's like language immersion as a kid I suppose.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:05:22 pm »
Liam, you might put up a video online but only invite a few people here to view it via PM, providing a select few with the link.  Ask only those you know will be respectful of both the parents and the kids.

Nice post, BTW.  Well spoken.  I've often thought and felt exactly the same things.  Good to hear that someone else is seeing the same things I am. 

beastieboy

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:34:22 pm »
Hi Liam, I'm fine with you posting video of the kids - I just tried to post a video of Heather skiing Escapade, but the file is too large and I don't seem to be able to compress the file enough to work for the website.  I missed the opportunity to get Jordan and Michelle skiing liftline over the weekend as well.

It was a great weekend - hopefully we'll have many more like it before the end of the season.  By the way - Jordan has spring break the week of the 18th if you want to spend a couple of days with us up north. Don't know which days yet...

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 06:43:26 pm »
but people who made skiing a permanent lifestyle choice WITHOUT becoming SKI BUMS-in fact, they are all far from that slovenly reality.

Maybe you could have found a less insulting way to say this. I am surrounded daily by people who have made the choice to be SKI BUMS.

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:14:44 pm »
Nice post Liam!

Interesting how skiing tends to meld the young and old(er) together. Not many sports can create that kind of multi generational participation and "vibe". Skiing (again) wasn't even on my radar until one of my kids, now grown with a career of her own, jumped into the sport and urged me to come along for some father daughter time.

Just last week during chairlift chat, we were talking about "getting Bug (neice/grandaughter now 3 yrs old) up here with us". While none of us are patrol or likely to be considered "rippers", it will be amazing to have all enjoying the snow together. The makings of great times and memories.

A tribute to a great sport....!!

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 12:01:56 pm »
Beastieboy..sorry, I forgot your handle here.   Escapade has long been one of my favorite runs (and most overlooked runs) at K-Ton.  I'd be interested in seeing how she did (I'll assume Jordan/ paul blasted it).  Hey Green Trails, I count jeff (and Andrew H) as the elder statesmen of the next generation as well.  It's great seeing you, the boys and the girl all skiing as a family-some with red coats and some not.

Epic--sorry, I did not mean to be irresponsibly offensive there-I'll delete the comment.

Byron, that's what i'm talking about--you know no other sports really enable this...I won't be playing a serious game of basketball against my teenage grandson some day (assuming I live that long), but I know we'll ski together.    The ability and desire to really share at a trans-generational level the joy of this sport--and that it is something equally accessible to children, adults and older adults alike (concurrently) really sits at the heart of why we are all so passionate about this recreational pastime.  And why we get in a dander of technique, and a lather when defending our favorite trails, ski areas or pair of skis.

But, looking at the gang of pre-adolescents, tweeners and teens who haunt the patrol lodge and roam the slopes in varying packs, I got a good feeling this passion will survive in the hands of folks who have learned the best of the sport inside and out (from the technique to the adventure to the larger community that surrounds it).

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 08:25:05 am »
Liam's OP causes me to stop for a minute and be grateful for those who give up their time and do the volunteer Patrol work at all ski hills. We take them for granted, until the need arises.  Sadly, service to others is a diminishing value in our society. The Patrol is semi-invisible at most resorts, ever though they wear the very distinctive jackets. Patrolers seem to ski in a like manner: very controlled, very stable, constantly checking out what's going on with others. Never pushing the limits like jibbers or racers.

From a parenting standpoint, I think it's great that their children get to experience a real-world working environment where cash payment does not exist. You do it out of love for the sport and the job, great values to demonstrate to youth. Looking back, I'll always remember the days on the golf course with my dad, and, someday Liam's children will have the same memories. Put kids in the right environment and good things happen. It's what families should be about.

From a skiing perspective, the families of patrollers get a fantastic start. I don't think adult learning can ever duplicate what they just absorb in their youth. Philpug grew up in the Pocono area of Pa and spent his youth at Camelback, doing whatever adventures young people do. Those experiences are so clear in his skiing today, he just goes on auto-pilot, leaving me way, way behind. Riding chairs and looking at the quality of skiing, it's clear who came out of racing programs or was raised at mountains. HelluvaSkier is a similar story at Greek Peak. At Holimont this year, Greg had a friend from his youth who just ripped. Watching those two was a treat, but, in this lifetime, this body will never do what they do on skis.

On a little bit of a downside, while the Patrol may have a bright future, there is a lot of self-centered, negative behavior demonstrated by youth while on the mountain. We all had unpleasant experiences with "other side of good parenting" coin about whom Liam speaks.  >:(  Maybe it's just the few bad ones give all a bad reputation, but, that group seems to be growing. Never generalize!

GreenTrails

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 04:52:49 pm »
Liam - my vote is to not post video of the kids - just seems wrong to me.  The mountain is open for a couple more weeks, these kids will be around and are easily recognized as the best young talent on the hill.  If people are interested in seeing them, it isn't hard - if they can keep up.

Sure makes a dad proud to see the kids ripping around the hill. 

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 10:49:27 am »
Liam's OP causes me to stop for a minute and be grateful for those who give up their time and do the volunteer Patrol work at all ski hills. We take them for granted, until the need arises.  Sadly, service to others is a diminishing value in our society. The Patrol is semi-invisible at most resorts, ever though they wear the very distinctive jackets. Patrolers seem to ski in a like manner: very controlled, very stable, constantly checking out what's going on with others. Never pushing the limits like jibbers or racers.

From a parenting standpoint, I think it's great that their children get to experience a real-world working environment where cash payment does not exist. You do it out of love for the sport and the job, great values to demonstrate to youth. Looking back, I'll always remember the days on the golf course with my dad, and, someday Liam's children will have the same memories. Put kids in the right environment and good things happen. It's what families should be about.

From a skiing perspective, the families of patrollers get a fantastic start. I don't think adult learning can ever duplicate what they just absorb in their youth. Philpug grew up in the Pocono area of Pa and spent his youth at Camelback, doing whatever adventures young people do. Those experiences are so clear in his skiing today, he just goes on auto-pilot, leaving me way, way behind. Riding chairs and looking at the quality of skiing, it's clear who came out of racing programs or was raised at mountains. HelluvaSkier is a similar story at Greek Peak. At Holimont this year, Greg had a friend from his youth who just ripped. Watching those two was a treat, but, in this lifetime, this body will never do what they do on skis.

On a little bit of a downside, while the Patrol may have a bright future, there is a lot of self-centered, negative behavior demonstrated by youth while on the mountain. We all had unpleasant experiences with "other side of good parenting" coin about whom Liam speaks.  >:(  Maybe it's just the few bad ones give all a bad reputation, but, that group seems to be growing. Never generalize!

All very well said LP.

Good point about the racing program background--my littlest guy spent 3 years in the race program and it did wonders for him--Greentrails and Beastieboy's kids have all grown to be fantastic skiers and spending formative years racing (or at least part of a dedicated racing culture) is indispensable.  I'm like you--I learned to ski at age 30, and I see the effortless gaps the kids who grew up racing have on the rest (a gap I just can't close).

GreenTrails, I was already with you about video, I was just ruminating out loud about seeing these kids.

Damn great day of skiing yesterday by the way!   We'll be up in Maine Monday-Wednesday (I've never skied in Maine before-so I'm pretty stoked!).

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 05:55:40 pm »
I'm like you--I learned to ski at age 30, and I see the effortless gaps the kids who grew up racing have on the rest (a gap I just can't close).

Sure you can!  At least, that's what I keep telling myself.  I tripped over an old email the other day that put my start on skis in 2007.  I guess I've currently got about 6 years in, which gives me 3 more to catch up to the 12 year olds who started when they were 3..  ;D

beastieboy

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 12:04:54 pm »
"Patrolers seem to ski in a like manner: very controlled, very stable, constantly checking out what's going on with others. Never pushing the limits like jibbers or racers."

Hi LP,

This touches on a conversation that Liam and I were having a couple of weeks ago - a red coat with a cross on it makes you less likely to want to embarrass yourself by wiping out in front of a crowd (for example under the liftline).  In addition there is a feeling of visibility and a need to set a good example.  A lot of us ski fairly aggressively on bump and tree runs, but try to make really sure that we don't put anyone at risk by skiing fast around other people. 

In addition of course, the patrolling population is probably a little more 'mature' than the general skiing public.  It takes longer to recover after a bad crash, so that is a deterrent to risky behavior as well!

Another great time this weekend!  Hopefully the spring skiing will last well into April.