Author Topic: The Little Hill that Could!  (Read 434 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
The Little Hill that Could!
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:49:50 am »
We just got in from 2 days of skiing at Holiday Valley...a 700ft vert that for some reason the "Lake Gods" seem to smile their lake effect snow upon.

Yes, we had to drive 1hr 45min to get there....easy driving. We arrived Wed with family to the Purple Palace, a great 1920's home that sleeps many. The snow started coming down our drive up morning and by the next morning...there was 9 inches with wind drift pockets shin high. Now it's not overly steep, some nice head walls but I didn't care the least....swivilin, carvin, smilin...the whole day we were. THAT was sooo much fun we were on snow all day...nealy 6 hours.....AND it snowed all day. Just amazing.

Had fun working with my son and two close friends who were working wayyyyyyy to hard in the pow. After 15 min "get off the hard edge, find the bases, relax, no need to rush, enjoy the float" moments....they were lusting after the deeper pockets. The following day we were treated to another 3-4inches and heard lots of whoops and hollars from powder pigs all over the Little Hill that Could!

It's just lucky if you plan that ski trip and the timing conincides with dumps....perfect. Sharing it with the fam and friends... ;D

Hope you guys are getting some too!  Best, G

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Re: The Little Hill that Could!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 12:01:52 pm »
How much snow did you get? Sounds awesome--you know, those little places are sometimes the best on Pow days because you usually have it to yourself wire to wire.

You're stealing my tag line for Berkshire east, you know ;)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 12:10:33 pm »
Hey Liam...the mountain posted they got 9 inches and then I know we had another 3 to 4 the next day that fell in the early morning.  AND those wind drift pockts.....ooooeeee!

Hey bud...not stealing your tag line....only your snow!!! :P

AND....there were NO crowds....lapity lap lapity lap!

Wish you all were there but I suffered through with out ya~   ;D

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:32:11 pm by Gary »

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 05:00:32 pm »
Gary,
Elliocotville has been good to and for the Cassara's this year in terms of new snow. Glad all had a great time and I'm sure all are grateful for Papa Cassara for bring this together. As my children are not skiers, it's an experience I miss.

Holiday Valley is a very unique area. Big in all ways, except vertical drop, a very modern, first class lodge facility. They have so much terrain plus an expansive lift system. Would have loved to ski it in powder. Earlier this month, skiing there was a great contrast to the very groomed Holimount. Holiday Valley, while groomed, left large and small rollers all over the trails so we had to be alert to this while skiing, especially in flat light on the north facing trails. Philpug called HV the best small mountain in the east.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 06:01:08 am »
Hi Mike....it was a wonderful way to enjoy family and ski..hard to get much better.

For what terrain the resort has to work with, they do an amazing job...they even have a ski cross area to play on.

They have 3 huge and beautiful lodges all very modern. They have a high performance rental shop with some great gear.
They also have a luge type tracked bob sled run through the trees, fast and fun!

I wish the lifts were faster, the runs were longer and the food was cheaper..but hey....it's 90 minutes from my home and they get great snow!

Looking forward to seeing you back in this neck of the wood next Feb Mike...I know Svend will be there and hoping more from our PS family can join.

Best, G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 06:35:10 am »
Gary,

Did Jason take the S3's in the powder day? Is so how did he like them? At Holimont, he skied his Fisher's in the powder during the morning, and, the S3's in the afternoon packed out stuff. Not his father's son in that regard! Then again, it was still only boot high.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 06:43:48 am »
He Mike...Jason stayed on the P9's the entire 2 days of pow and crud. He REALLY loved those skis.

He's a solid skier and he had no prob with the boot high and when we were out of that, he loved the edge hold in the crud and scraped off.

I think another factor was that the snow was SO light and fluffy...blower pow again...go figure.  ;D

G

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 08:27:39 am »
Just a fun shot of what we had to ski on Wed last week at Holiday Valley...

"Can ya see me now?"   :o  Yes....I like bright colors!   :D    g