Author Topic: back from the dead - just saying Hi  (Read 1042 times)

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
back from the dead - just saying Hi
« on: February 02, 2013, 09:27:49 am »
Signed on to get some ideas before my trip to Steamboat in 3 weeks. I have not been on the snow this year  >:(  I sold my Watea 98 and looking to demo my next western ski.  Been reading some of the threads and realized how much I like this internet community. Been busy with my practice and getting kids through college.  Just added a PA so ..... next year should be different  ;D

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: back from the dead - just saying Hi
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:09:03 pm »
Miss ya "Big P".....

I understand the repsonsiblity issuess....but hey...we're your family too. Steamboat should be a blast.

Let us know what skis your considering to replace those wooden hull Wateas with. Kudos to the new PA...hope they know they're going to be busy every ski season.

G

ps..Rossi Exp. 88.....Kastle LX92...Kastle MX83......Head Rev 85, on sale here at Ski Co.  for $525 with bindings.

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 06:44:19 pm »
Welcome back, Perry.  I hope you and G. have a great time at Steamboat. 

And as Gary said, give us a report on your ski search.

Tell the Mrs. that Todd from the Solvista camp said hi.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 09:54:42 pm »

ps..Rossi Exp. 88.....Kastle LX92...Kastle MX83......Head Rev 85, on sale here at Ski Co.  for $525 with bindings.
Well that is a good start at what I am looking at.  They have the MX 83 for that price?  If so I would buy without demo.  but I assume that is fort the Head only. still a great price.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 10:14:51 pm »
Whhat Gary said, welcome back.   :)
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:17:33 am »
Hey Perry....yeah....it was....hoping you have a chance to jump on some demo boards...if you find "the" one....we can all start the $$$ search.

Let it snow!

G

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:51:43 pm »
I will be skiing the Rev 85 when I demo. So you like the 105?  What characteristics do you like the best about that ski.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 12:45:49 pm »
Hey Perry, just put a very good ski buddy on a pair of the Head Rev85's today. He'll be skiing them out tomorrow. He's about your height and weight and he's on the 184's.

I have not skied the 85 myself....

The thing I really like about the 105 is how versatile it is...It's very doable on groomers, awesome on crud, bumps and in the 6inch of pow I've had them in. It's very stable, easy to initiate, holds edge extremely well,, and oh so quick edge to edge. I'm skiing them in the 181.

I have heard the 105's work best with lighter guys so I'd demo it first if I were you to be sure. Also, I've mounted mine 3cm forward of the factory mount...and it rocks for me there. In the factory mount position, the ski felt so much less repsonsive but the plus 3, it cooks. The rocker tip is oh so co-operative in crud and pow, just planes up nice, no flopping around, and the tail is solid for all kinds of turn shapes.

I hope you get a chance to demo both....let us know your thoughts.
Best..G

ps....send my your email address plez

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 04:43:53 pm »
Sent the email to you Gary.
Copied this from my other thread along with some edits - very quiet over there

Need something I can take out West that will perform on groomers since my wife doesn't like to venture off much.  Also soon to be 57 and my right knee is acting up.  The Watea 98 caused pain that some other 98's didn't so I sold them.  Great off-piste ski but not so much on groomed.

I think that given the fact that I am usually either on groomed or crud skiing I am going to stick with something in the 80's.  I would like a ski that I could venture into the bumps with and would help me get better there but the fact is that I am not a very good bump skier and as a result don't spend much time in them. 
Here is what I have narrowed my list to. 
Head Rev 85 and 90 184cm - maybe the Rock and Roll
MX 83 183cm
Outland 87 184cm
Blizzard Mag 8.5 181cm (Not sure whether it makes sense to spend time to demo this one)
I would love to try the Kastle Fx 84 and 94 but they don't have them to demo.  Curious Gary how you find them on groomers.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 04:53:56 pm »
Perry: The Head Peak 84 is a "last year" ski you might consider, especially since you could probably get a good price on them.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 05:31:36 pm »
That is an interesting option.  I thought I saw some mixed reviews about last years Heads.  I see that the expertskier website liked it.  I am going to google on that one.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 08:20:42 pm »
The Monster series lost it's mojo and wasn't so great for a couple of years.  The Peak 78 and Peak 84 of the past couple of years have gotten consistently good reviews.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:19:45 pm by jim-ratliff »

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 12:46:27 pm »
Found the Rev 85 with bindings - $499
               ipeak 84 with bindings - $449
               Rock n Roll with bindings - $499

Any of you that have skied these - comments welcome.  Would probably spend the extra $50 for the Rev 85 since its newer unless there are performance differences

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 03:07:06 pm »
Also curious about length - I see over at the PMTS site that people my size are skiing the ipeak at 177cm.  Is this just the shorter ski preference of the PMTS site.

Due to fewer ski days I am leaning towards the heads for cost.
Comments on ipeak 84 vs Rev85 welcome

jbotti - would love to here from you on this as we are the same height - you are in better shape and hence lighter  :D.  Particularly if you would be inclined to say just go for the RNR

Going to Steamboat on the 23 so I need to pull the trigger soon!  Yikes

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 08:10:38 am »
pulled the trigger on the REV 85 pro at 184cm and shipped them to Steamboat so I will only have to lug them on the way home.  $500 with bindings  ;D

I'll let you know how they ski.

Gary gave me great reviews from a friend he put on these.

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 08:21:16 am »
Gary,

How did you settle on mounting +3cm?  Just curious what path you followed to get there.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 01:32:44 pm »
Hey Todd...

I know your question is regards to my Rev's and not the ones Perry is buying (Rev 85's) ....I purchased the 105's in the 181 length. .....and here was my path.

Over the years I've found for me, the way I ski, what and where I ski, ( height 5'7", weight 148lbs) and more typically on Austrian made skis, I need to be more forward than the factory mounting.

So, when I had my Marker Scizo's mounted to the Rev 105's, I had them mounted at plus 1 to begin with. The Scizo binding allows plus and minus 3 centimeters. Next...head for the mountain,

With trusty screwdriver in pocket, I went out and started skiing the ski with all different turn shapes and speeds.  If I found I had to apply to excessive forward pressure to engage the shovels (my shins  taking a beating) I'd move the binding forward usually a few mm....little steps. If I find the tails start to wash out....I'm to far forward.  This has paid off in positive results on snow.....My Rev 105s are spot on balanced for me in all the conditions to date I have had them in. Skied them with Mike at Holimont in 7" or so of pow and crud....carve, float they felt perfect.

Hope this helps....G

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:35:05 pm by Gary »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 01:37:14 pm »
pulled the trigger on the REV 85 pro at 184cm and shipped them to Steamboat so I will only have to lug them on the way home.  $500 with bindings  ;D

I'll let you know how they ski.

Gary gave me great reviews from a friend he put on these.
Perry:
Congratulations.  Give us a report once you get some snow time on them.  Sounds like you made a good decision.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:00:46 pm by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 02:09:10 pm »
Perry...congrats... ..I know this is going to be your one quiver do it all ski especially out west.

I just put a friend of mine who is 6'1, 195lbs intermediate skier on that ski (Perry skis at a much higher level) and in a pair of Lange RS110's. I skied with him on Saturday and he was in 7th Heaven. We had a 4"pow drop and the conditions varied from untracked to pushed around soft piles to scraped off in between. He was coming off a pair of 172 Blizzards...now skiing the Rev 85 in the 184 length and the length was not even an issue. This ski is very user friendly and versatile. We did stop along the way and moved the binding up a couple of mm forward and he was baffled how that minor change had such a significant feel on snow. He left the mountain with a happy face! WHEW!

Can't wait to hear your on snow report P....Steamboats been getting amazing snow...hope it drops big time for you too.

Best, G