Author Topic: Aspen/Jackson  (Read 319 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Aspen/Jackson
« on: January 29, 2013, 12:35:09 pm »
Just returned from skiing 7 days,..2 days in Aspen and 5 in Jackson.
Our 2 days in Aspen were in a bump clinic...of which we bowed out of the 2nd day due to the rocks in the bumps almost everywhere. About mid day, I hit a rock, skid out, recovered and headed for a 5 foot boulder covered in snow to ski over to catch up with the rest of the group. Well my skis hit the snow at the base of the boulder, speared the snow right to the boulder and I ejected out of my left ski rag dolling 2 times down the bump field. My ski still stuck and hiding from plain site was recoverd by the instructor.....than k goodness for knowing how to relax when tumbling....gesh... .anyways....we decided it was smarter to just ski where and what we wanted with those conditions and got a rain check.

Jackson has had great snow and awesome coverage. I gotta say how humbled I am  when I see the quality of the skiers at Jackson Hole. I mean...I think I'm a decent strong skier...Gesh...they make me look like amatures watching them skiing some really steep and narly stuff. We took the tram up one day and enjoyed some wind blown pow at the edge of Rendevous Bowl....We had some clouds one day that obscured 100% of the mountain....we made a couple of runs, had pizza at the Bridger Bowl Rest.....waited 1 hour and it was worth it....most people went home...the sun came out and we had awesome conditions...some 2 inches wahhoooo...to play in....but virtually felt like no one was there.

After skiing the kastle 84's for the better part of the trip I was waiting for condtions worth to take out the Rev 105's...and I got them. We had about 4-5" of fresh...not the boot high I was longing for but I wanted to see how the skis performed on the big mountain. I was thrilled with their turning ability, the stable but not back slapping tail, how easy and absorbing they were in the bumps. My wife was watching me ski the edge on Wide Open and she thought I was on the 84's...they are that easy to turn...fun fun fun. So far....for me...this ski is just awesome.

Of course, the day we left, it started snowing and in 24 hours, they got 10" of fresh.....man...I gotta get a break here. Living near the big mountains....gotta be the way to go. ONE of these days!

Over all....we just love skiing consecutive days....I was working on timing and more effective pole touches, and  working the uphill heel in the bumps....some really cool stuff. Just need a little better weather timming to hit the boot high snow.

Enjoyed some in condo crock pot meals as well as some outstanding restaurants. We did meet some great people from Australia and Copenhagen, sharing beer and great conversations.....Y a just gotta love ski peeps.....they be the best!

G
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:43:26 pm by Gary »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Aspen/Jackson
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:48:02 pm »
..Ya just gotta love ski peeps.....they be the best!

And thank you for the compliment, of course we are!

Glad Jackson worked out for you after the low snow Aspen experience. Sounds like the Kastle's took a beating, a lotta love is upcoming in the G home tuning shop.

Any pic's coming.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Aspen/Jackson
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 05:38:02 pm »
Hey Mike....it's "Have Files Will Travel".....had the diamond files and stone on them every nite...even had to hit them in Aspen with the metal file. :o

Anyways....they're ready to go....the edges came out great ....and the bases...well..... :-X  I keep telling myself...they're a tool.

Looking forward to skiing with ya this weekend....weather is looking great....see ya soon
G