Author Topic: Head Rock N Roll  (Read 1604 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Head Rock N Roll
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:45:25 am »
Let me start by saying that I love this ski! When Max first skied this and told me it was great my first thought was that a 94mm waisted ski with tip and tail rocker is the last thing that I want to own. Throw in the graphics (motorhead with skulls) and you have a ski that few buy and even less tend to demo. Wow, Head has made a huge mistake with this ski starting with the graphics but most importantly with the way they describe the ski on their website. If this ski has any tip and tail rocker it is so modest that it is hard to notice. Perhaps it is just enough to make the ski release just a little easier which it does. Again the 94mm waisted thing is a real tweener, not really a pow ski, clearly not a carving ski. In reality though, this is as close to a perfect one ski quiver as exists (and i hate the idea of a one ski quiver). Amazingly this ski does really well in reasonably large amounts of fresh snow as it floats quite well for a 94mm waisted ski. For crud and chop I think it is my favorite ski ever, as it is plenty stout enough to be aggressive in crud and chop. It also is pretty nimble (due to the minimal early rise tip and tail) and soft bumps it skis great (it would not be my first choice for hard bumps but on the few that I have skied with it the RNR does amazingly well for 94mm waist). When you get to groomers the ski just shines. Probably took me 2-3 days t really get used to it and to be able to fully lay it over. The flex pattern is perfect and I can bend the ski and tighten the arc. I can carve tighter arcs on this than I can on my Kastle MX 78's (18m tr) and I love that ski. The ski just rocks tight GS turns and is ultra stable at speed (fun, fun, fun!!). When I attempt slalom flushes, the ski is just a little too slow edge to edge to crank these (a better driver might be able to). But brushed carved turns can be snapped off at a quite fast tempo (again perhaps due to how easy the skis release). I have never been able to say this about any ski but i could ski this ski all day in most conditions and not be wanting for a different ski. I think this is more true in the west (rockies, Montana, Sierra's etc) than would be the case in the east and I have not skied it on blue ice although with a 3 degree side my guess is that it would hold fine.

I bough this ski at the end of last season for $329 as two different sites were blowing them out. I think it is one of Head's worst selling skis (due to the graphics and the confusion over what kind of ski it really is). Almost every review I have read about the ski (other than the revised one on Expertskier which is essentially mine) has been wrong and not just a little wrong but crazy wrong about this ski. I think this ski is a real sleeper and my guess is that Head will not bring it back next year. If they do they should change the name and the graphics (which I really could care less about). Most that see it just hate the graphics however a lifty saw my skis yesterday and came up to me (looking like he had spent the last two hours with a bong) and said "hey dude where'd you get those skis. Motorhead skis, is there anything more Rad! I am definitely getting a pair." As you can see not what most people want on their skis!

Again, it's a tweener width so many may have no need for a ski like this, but I can tell you I am skiing this more than several other great skis. Absolutely the perfect ski for 2-4 inches of fresh or later on the day on a pow day or the day after a pow day.

Lastly anyone from intermediates up will find this ski enjoyable. It is amazingly user friendly.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Head Rock N Roll
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:16:49 pm »
Hey JB....stoner dude...ride on man.....ubrockn' with those planks!

Great review JB...now stop looking down at the graphics. It so weird with Head. They've made some great skis...I mean great...and for some unknown reason..they loose their way and then BAM...back again....such is the way of the ski industry I guess.

Sounds to me like you maybe even closer to the one quiver ski for your area. I still find boards above 90mm can be a bit more wearing on the front side groomers than those with a more trim waist but the receipe for versatility many manufacturers are cooking into skis is outstanding.

SO DIMS please: ????

I remember when we did some testing for Ski Press 10 years ago. Alice got on this board with a buxom blonde in a bikini on the shovels.....loved the performance but wouldn't buy it cause she didn't want a chick on her board. I on the other hand...might have just skied the  :o  :o well that's another story.

Thank goodness there's just skulls on yours...ha!   G
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:18:36 pm by Gary »

pbuddingh

• <100 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 12:47:42 pm »
Thanks John, agree wholeheartedly,  the few inches of snow we seem get at WB almost on a daily basis so far this season,  and the skied out powder and soft bumps hat are left, make the rock n' roll great fun. Also picked up pair last fall for a song, but there's plenty left out there.

More of a challenge to get them up on edge on the harder stuff, not as effortless as the head 78's (or SS's) - more work necessary on the essentials.

The standard  Lift line conversation on the graphics is "borrowed them from my son".  - and he likes the graphics.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 02:58:58 pm »
I love mine...and I love the MotorHead themes (I mean, how obscure is that!?!)...

Maybe they could do them as a Duran Duran themed ski next season...call them the Hungry Wolf or Saved Prayer :o

I'll be skiing them tomorrow in 6 inches of new  snow at the B'East...

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 07:44:59 am »
Well,

After a long day of tree, powder, soft mogul, and crud skiing-I have some thoughts.

For general skiing, resort-based off-piste-the Head RnR's are exceptional. However, I do have to invoke the Ghost of Bushwacker Past and mention there suitability vs. a fatter/ rockered ski in deep snow in New England Trees....I spent the morning finding untracked lines in many of our 'local's' glades-in some spots the drifted snow was as much as 2 feet deep.  In these areas the RnR's were a little over matched, without enought float to make the quick stream bed and tree trunk avoiding maneuvers necessary to ski these areas confidently and with flow.  If you head into these areas without a bigger modern ski, you really are bringing a knife to the gun fight (but maybe you're bruce lee and that knife will be more than sufficient).

I switched at lunch to the Howitzers to explore these glades more fully, and, yep, they were money in that terrain. I skied with much more confidents, flow, less gross motor avoidance maneuvers.   BUT, once out of those glades and into crud and soft bumps again, I found myself wishing the Howitzers would morph back into the Head Rock n Roll's as those were better everywhere else but deeper powder/crud Glade skiing.

I also found the Heads handled peculiar features much better (stream hopping, water bar and bern launching, etc). 

Both good skis, but JB is dead on about the versatility of the RnR's.  The Graphics are cool by the way, don't let anyone tell you different!

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:17:17 am »
More of what I wanted to hear, though the idea of a 94mm ski not being a powder ski still cracks me up.

As you can see, I already have a spot for a pair, once I find the right size on a good enough sale to make my yankee cheapskate happy..

[old attachment deleted - file maintenance]

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 11:00:24 am »
Golf Caddy anyone?   ;D

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 02:31:55 pm »
More of what I wanted to hear, though the idea of a 94mm ski not being a powder ski still cracks me up.

As you can see, I already have a spot for a pair, once I find the right size on a good enough sale to make my yankee cheapskate happy..

Dan,

Come ski with me at The B'east in the next storm...You'll see what I mean.  In more open spaces the Rock n Roll is a fine powder ski (as are a lot of skis) but for slicing and dicing tight, deep trees in New England...bigger and wider pays off huge dividends.

Again, that said, if I'm up at Stowe in a snowstorm with only the Head RnR's, I won't cry myself to sleep ;D

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 05:01:34 pm »
the majority of people who think that a rock and roll would be a great east coast tree ski.

would rather ski groomers than the trees
do not know how to find deep snow in the woods
and probably do not ski woods like me and Liam ski

If I owned one it would be for when the trees were skied out or lighter powder. Right now we have 2-3 feet of unsettled snow nearly everywhere in the BC. The RnR wouldnt be awesome at all.  Its been WAY to cold to film or video it.

Josh

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:38:07 pm »
That's my thought Bush....though for clarification, I ski similar to terrain as you, but I doubt I ski it anything like you do  :D  I'm just a strong intermediate with a taste for East Coast off piste skiing-who finds himself chasing more talented, younger rippers through the real terrain.

On trail powder or open slope powder, the RnR is fine, but so are a set of slalom skis.   IN True glades with deep powder, skis like the RnR augur in too much and restrict movement, and that restriction can be more than just nettlesome, it's down right dangerous.   I tried to follow my friend Green Trails down a deep snow tree run on the RnR's, while he was on a pair of Bluehouse Maestro's (a big rockered ski), he floated through it and I flipped over and got turtled in a mini tree well.  I immediately went and got my Howitzers, and made him ski that trail again with me, and we both floated down it with aplomb.

The RnR is a great Crud and softer bump ski, solid as a rock on the groomers, and a great patrol ski as the tail is very forgiving and easy to run sleds with it.   I imagine it'd be nice on real steeps on a big mountain.  And As long as your powder preferences are out in the wide open, it'd be a fine powder ski as well.    For Powder and deep crud tree skiing-you'll want something wider.

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 07:36:44 pm »
I'll be happy to take you up on that, Liam!  I'm happy to try any ski somebody's willing to let me borrow for a run.

the majority of people who think that a rock and roll would be a great east coast tree ski.

would rather ski groomers than the trees
do not know how to find deep snow in the woods
and probably do not ski woods like me and Liam ski

If I owned one it would be for when the trees were skied out or lighter powder. Right now we have 2-3 feet of unsettled snow nearly everywhere in the BC. The RnR wouldnt be awesome at all.  Its been WAY to cold to film or video it.

Josh

I don't think you intended it this way, but I think your list describes me pretty well, actually.  I spend all spring/summer/fall going slow in a kayak and, when winter comes, I want to go FAST.  I can understand open trees that don't slow you down much, but don't really understand the fun in the tight stuff you guys enjoy so much.

That said, I'm happy to try any ski you think might change my mind about that, if you think it's an equipment problem.  For the kind of soft-snow skiing I do, I get by just fine with a ski that's 78 underfoot, so a similarly-behaved ski in the 94mm range sounds positively luxurious..  ;D

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Re: Head Rock N Roll
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 08:28:28 pm »
The only time I need more float than you'd get from a 90-100mm ski is when I'm dealing with deep snow on low angle slopes.  Let's face the fact that most skiers who gravitate toward really wide skis for deeper snow, clearly don't have a release that works for them in deep snow (or crud for that matter).  If you must twist your skis at the top of your turns then you need your skis to be "free" from the snow to be able to turn.  So the added float of really wide skis puts those skiers "above" the snow enough so that they feel in control.

I'm interested in what Bush is skiing as his daily driver these days (and why).  I've found that as my skills in PMTS have improved, my appreciation for narrower and narrower skis has increased.  I skied my 92mm underfoot Scott Crusades last week and had forgotten just how much slower they are edge-to-edge compared to my 78mm waist stuff.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:29:49 pm by HighAngles »

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 09:32:54 am »
JB
What length did you ski these?

Johnny2R

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
Re: Re: Head Rock N Roll
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 12:04:49 pm »
I skied my 92mm underfoot Scott Crusades last week and had forgotten just how much slower they are edge-to-edge compared to my 78mm waist stuff.

How highly do you rate your Crusades for deeper snow? I'm thinking of buying a pair. I've used them before on piste and in chopped-up powder and crud, and loved them, but I've never used them in deep snow.

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 04:25:12 pm »
I don't rate the Crusades very highly for new deep snow.  Where they excel is as a crud buster for chopped up snow that has begun to set up.  A better ski of similar dimensions that is fine for fresh powder and still does sufficiently well in cut-up is the Atomic Savage Ti.  It has adaptive camber (kind of like early rise) and better ability to float up on the snow.