Author Topic: Boot Questions/Heel Lift??  (Read 1779 times)

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
Re: Boot Questions/Heel Lift??
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 11:14:53 am »

Interesting you used the "cam angle" anology. In a previous post I set about desribing my shin "feeling" like the apex of an inverted camshaft lobe, my back and mid torso the larger mass of the lobe, each time I flex at the knee and press, the apex engages the tongue and moves me into the back seat. The feeling being reciprocol in nature when skiing. Ultimately, I omitted that part of the pior post to save space.

[snip]

Just fyi....the paper I was reading...not sure how current it is...but I found it very interesting in terms of alignment, fit, etc. Have to admit....quite alot of it was over my head. Link at bottom of each page takes you to the next.
Thanks guys.

http://beckmannag.com/alpine-skiing/alignment/01overview

I saw your reference to a cam earlier, and knew exactly the feeling you meant.  I spent a few years in the wilderness before discovering great bootfitting, and that feeling is one I remember distinctly.  :D

I read through some of that link, and he seems to use a lot of words but not say very much.  I disagree with his approach to footbeds though, and think his focus on bootboard angle is a bit odd.  Maybe it would make more sense for people with no flexibility in their ankles, who can't adapt to a degree or two difference inside the boot...or perhaps it becomes necessary when you lock the foot up with a rigid footbed, like he advocates doing?

I think it's a great example of what I see as the biggest problem with bootfitting, to be honest--namely that there are a ton of incredibly nice and very well-intentioned guys out there who each have their own take on the timing of when the patient should be bled relative to the mandatory leg amputation for patients with an ingrown toenail.  Guys doing the bootfitting equivalent of this get tons of recommendations from skiers who've never experienced anything better, and don't realize that the bootfitting equivalent of "modern medicine" already exists.

So, how do you find the really, really good ones?  I know the Harb-trained fitters are outstanding, and all use "modern medicine".  If I remember right, jbotti has spoken highly of Jim Schaffner at Start Haus in Truckee, and jbotti's had enough experience with Harb-trained guys that I'd consider him a qualified reviewer.  Aside from that?  I have no idea.  I've been through a couple of fitters who were on the super-highly-recommended list on other fora and magazines, and they were still practicing Civil War-era medicine.  I've also seen boots from a few others that were brought to my fitter to be fixed because they never skied right, and heard the explanations of what was wrong, and why.  I wouldn't go to any of those guys, either.  It's a really tough situation all around.

Jim, isn't that the photo Lynn carries around in her wallet of you?  ;D