Skis and Gear Discussion > Gear Garage

Boot Questions/Heel Lift??

(1/7) > >>

byronm:
As I was doing some dryland tipping drills in my boots the other night I kept getting the sensation of being bumped into the back seat as I would flex my knees into an athletic stance over my toes. My  boots are Salomon Impact 100 cs and at room temp. when I put all my weight on the tongues there is zero flex. Which would be ok if I felt like I could "get athletic" bend and get my knees out over my toes without ending up in the back seat. This feeling presented itself last year as I was skiing. I really believe my boots are working against me. Has anyone had this sensation or is it my imagination?

The next thing I did was undo the backbone of the boot which theoretically is supposed to make the boot easier to flex. This helped slightly. Then it occured to me that my custom footbeds might be exacerbating the problem as there is cork under the ball of my foot and toes. I took the footbed out and standing on the floor, all weight was generally distributed to me heel.

So I got to thinking...since I have the 2nd  mtg. paid off that I used to pay for them initially, naturally, it might be time to cut them in half... ;D I am thinking about using the heel part of the footbed as a wedge/lift since they do help to secure my narrowish heel in the boot and I believe I could use a bit more angle. Has anyone tried this, thought about this or am I way off base here?

Generally, I think that if I get the boot mod done to give me some slight flex and utilize the heel wedge, my boots and I can get along better.

Thoughts appreciated.....

[old attachment deleted - file maintenance]

epic:
Be aware of binding delta. In all likelihood, your toes are down when you are on skis relative to when you are standing in just your boots. Be careful about making an adjustment without accounting for that.

byronm:
Thx Epic....Will do....If I snap in the skis on level ground and get the same sensation as I flex downward, would that be a reasonably good litmus of whether I need more angle? I cut some cardbard that maybe I can experiment with before I invest in lifts. With regard to the corkvac footbeds some opine that the superfeet trim to fit are better in terms keeping the foot more natural in the boot and giving the most feedback.

Gary:
B...a thing i do with new boots besides struggle at least 1 ski season, is when in my boots clicked into my skis, poles in hands, in my ski stance, knees relaxed...whew..I like to feel as if I'm centered right over the arches of my feet. This feeling allows my pressure on the front and the rear of the cuff to feel equal. Meaning, I'm not leaning against the cuff in this stance or feeling pressure on the back of my calf.

If you already feel like you're in this position, there might be another issue.

I find that I need to be able to provide just enough force forward (moving my center mass) to charge the shovels for turn shape. Also, moving fore and aft equally allows me to use the entire ski tip to tail.

If your boots are too stiff, when you pressure them, the flex motion kicks you back onto your heels...in other words, you can't hold the pressured upper cuff forward enough to keep the energy generated to the front shovels.

Given your svelt 139 lbs....you might consider softening the boot flex. As there is no standard in how manufacturers establish their boot flex, "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"...finding that right flex patten for me at least....is critical. Me at 150 lbs is in a pair of "highly"modified Lange RX Pro 130. I had to soften them up significantly to give me the right flex. A wee bit at a time but I got er done and they're are spot on for me.

Hope this helps, Best, G

jim-ratliff:

--- Quote from: byronm on December 25, 2012, 12:06:20 am ---Thx Epic....Will do....If I snap in the skis on level ground and get the same sensation as I flex downward, would that be a reasonably good litmus of whether I need more angle? I cut some cardbard that maybe I can experiment with before I invest in lifts. With regard to the corkvac footbeds some opine that the superfeet trim to fit are better in terms keeping the foot more natural in the boot and giving the most feedback.

--- End quote ---
Byron:
I would go slow and not rely too much on "feelings" and wait until you get some feedback from another set of eyes, or at least until you get on snow feedback.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version