Author Topic: Boot Questions/Heel Lift??  (Read 1727 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Boot Questions/Heel Lift??
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 08:47:39 pm »
Dan.....100 flex for one boot could be totally different for another. Byonm is a light man and flex patterns so vary boot to boot. I've found it's not about the number it's about the results.

This is so true.  Somewhere in the Gear section here I posted about the dramatic differences in flex between different brands, and even different models within the same brand, of various 130 flex boots that I recently tried as a replacement for my Tecnica Inferno 110's.  Most were significantly softer, at 130, than my present Inferno 110's.  This included a Tecnica Cochise 130 boot that was so soft that it basically collapsed in the instep area upon flexing and offered almost no support whatsoever.  OTOH, at least one boot, the Salomon X3 130, was rock solid and was an absolute bear to get it to move even for me at 220 lbs in a warm shop. 

Byron, my point is that your boots may simply be too stiff for a guy your size and weight.  Not sure if all Salomons are generally stiffer than other brands, but if my quick test holds true for other Salomon models, then your 100 flex may be the same as another's 120 or 130.  The flex index number is basically almost meaningless, in other words, and should serve merely as a very rough approximation, if that.

I hate to say this, but if you can't bend the boot, and you can't get centered by modifiying forward lean, then this is a serious impediment to your skiing and skill advancement.  I'm a firm believer in getting the gear equation spot-on correct (boots, skis, tune....the works), so that all you have to do is focus on the skiing and let the gear fade into the background and get out of the way of having fun and getting better.