Author Topic: Boot Questions/Heel Lift??  (Read 1676 times)

byronm

• 100 Posts
Boot Questions/Heel Lift??
« on: December 24, 2012, 07:33:31 pm »
As I was doing some dryland tipping drills in my boots the other night I kept getting the sensation of being bumped into the back seat as I would flex my knees into an athletic stance over my toes. My  boots are Salomon Impact 100 cs and at room temp. when I put all my weight on the tongues there is zero flex. Which would be ok if I felt like I could "get athletic" bend and get my knees out over my toes without ending up in the back seat. This feeling presented itself last year as I was skiing. I really believe my boots are working against me. Has anyone had this sensation or is it my imagination?

The next thing I did was undo the backbone of the boot which theoretically is supposed to make the boot easier to flex. This helped slightly. Then it occured to me that my custom footbeds might be exacerbating the problem as there is cork under the ball of my foot and toes. I took the footbed out and standing on the floor, all weight was generally distributed to me heel.

So I got to thinking...since I have the 2nd  mtg. paid off that I used to pay for them initially, naturally, it might be time to cut them in half... ;D I am thinking about using the heel part of the footbed as a wedge/lift since they do help to secure my narrowish heel in the boot and I believe I could use a bit more angle. Has anyone tried this, thought about this or am I way off base here?

Generally, I think that if I get the boot mod done to give me some slight flex and utilize the heel wedge, my boots and I can get along better.

Thoughts appreciated.....

[old attachment deleted - file maintenance]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:34:33 pm by byronm »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
Re: Boot Questions/Heel Lift??
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:33:37 pm »
Be aware of binding delta. In all likelihood, your toes are down when you are on skis relative to when you are standing in just your boots. Be careful about making an adjustment without accounting for that.

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 12:06:20 am »
Thx Epic....Will do....If I snap in the skis on level ground and get the same sensation as I flex downward, would that be a reasonably good litmus of whether I need more angle? I cut some cardbard that maybe I can experiment with before I invest in lifts. With regard to the corkvac footbeds some opine that the superfeet trim to fit are better in terms keeping the foot more natural in the boot and giving the most feedback.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 12:15:58 am by byronm »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 06:01:49 am »
B...a thing i do with new boots besides struggle at least 1 ski season, is when in my boots clicked into my skis, poles in hands, in my ski stance, knees relaxed...whew..I like to feel as if I'm centered right over the arches of my feet. This feeling allows my pressure on the front and the rear of the cuff to feel equal. Meaning, I'm not leaning against the cuff in this stance or feeling pressure on the back of my calf.

If you already feel like you're in this position, there might be another issue.

I find that I need to be able to provide just enough force forward (moving my center mass) to charge the shovels for turn shape. Also, moving fore and aft equally allows me to use the entire ski tip to tail.

If your boots are too stiff, when you pressure them, the flex motion kicks you back onto your heels...in other words, you can't hold the pressured upper cuff forward enough to keep the energy generated to the front shovels.

Given your svelt 139 lbs....you might consider softening the boot flex. As there is no standard in how manufacturers establish their boot flex, "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"...finding that right flex patten for me at least....is critical. Me at 150 lbs is in a pair of "highly"modified Lange RX Pro 130. I had to soften them up significantly to give me the right flex. A wee bit at a time but I got er done and they're are spot on for me.

Hope this helps, Best, G
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 06:06:05 am by Gary »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 10:30:19 am »
Thx Epic....Will do....If I snap in the skis on level ground and get the same sensation as I flex downward, would that be a reasonably good litmus of whether I need more angle? I cut some cardbard that maybe I can experiment with before I invest in lifts. With regard to the corkvac footbeds some opine that the superfeet trim to fit are better in terms keeping the foot more natural in the boot and giving the most feedback.
Byron:
I would go slow and not rely too much on "feelings" and wait until you get some feedback from another set of eyes, or at least until you get on snow feedback.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 11:33:26 am »
Yeah, what Jim said. I'd be very careful about going off of feel. Just as far as delta goes, I'd use a micrometer to figure out how much delta I have and then find a shim that thick to tape onto the toe.

Even then, I'd want any change at first to be non-destructive and reversible. Mostly because alignment can be counter-intuitive, often times what seems like it will move you back actually moves you forward.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 11:37:40 am »
Yeah, what Epic said.

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 11:31:31 pm »
Gary-If your boots are too stiff, when you pressure them, the flex motion kicks you back onto your heels...in other words, you can't hold the pressured upper cuff forward enough to keep the energy generated to the front shovels.

While I think Gary hit the nail on the head there....all advice duly noted....I can already tell that my unrelenting urge to engage in backyard mechanicin is exceeding the purview of my knowledge at this point. While I own and can use a mic, my delta angle is likely to turn into the bermuda tri-angle without some professional intervention... ???

Reasonable and sound advice fella's...I skied em last year sans fatality and my memory is shorter than my...well...I lost the post-a-note that was attached to my head at the end of last season. It had the notes about my skiing wishes and woes. Under further review, skier has decided to take a few runs...refresh the memory and potential for tweeks and changes....then get some professional help as required.

Thereby avoiding a scenario reminiscent of the guy who tried to sell me a car.  "Everything works like a champ, I just charged the AC so its cold, hold the steering column here with this hand and turn the key to start it, if a fuse blows, there's some in glovebox, other than that she's all good".....you know him, the guy that's always broke down on the side of the road.

I like my skinny legs and unique snout too much to be THAT guy.. Peter had referred me to the fella at Sport Loft in SL...I think perhaps the guy you mentioned Jim...I have to find the post a note.. :D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 07:27:11 am »
Byronm....instead of going Dr. Frankenstein on your boots...try this on snow test..

Buckle up your boots how you normally would..then loosen the top buckle so it just barely stays connected. Then fasten your cuff strap oh so lightly. This little bit of extra movement will facilitate enough motion to the upper cuff and allow you to become the "master of your shovels"!

Now, this only would  illustrate that with your boots normally fastened, you're not able to get into your "attack" position. My first encounter with this very same experiment was with Harold Harb in 2000....it was through his direction that I tried this and all of sudden, the front of the shovels responded.

If this test works, a good boot technician can soften the upper cuff in 15 minutes...

G

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 07:51:35 am »
Sounds like a plan!! Will do.....thx Gary

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 03:18:04 pm »
Erm, softening a 100-flex boot for an adult?  There very well could be something wrong with your setup, but I don't think it's that the boot's too stiff.  That's already pretty soft for a full-grown person.

When you flex into your "athletic stance", are you stacking your hip sockets atop your knees?  It sounds like you might just be lowering until your knees are in the right spot, with your hips going back as much as your knees are going forward, which would put you back.  You want the knees forward, and the hips atop the knees.  If you feel more tongue pressure come on as you flex, you're doing it right.  If you stack yourself this way, you'll find that nearly any boot will bend just fine, and might even be a bit softer than you'd like.  If you feel like you're having trouble getting your knees forward, a spoiler between the liner and the boot cuff might help get you across the balance point where it goes from "really hard" to "totally manageable".  That would also give you more leverage over the boot, making it feel softer.  In the absence of a spoiler, a folded-up trail map makes for a field-expedient substitute.

I'd be really surprised if the best solution was to soften the boots.  For reference, I'm 5'7" and 170lbs, and the only time my 130 flex boots are stiff enough is when it's below 0F outside.  I actually just picked up a pair of 150's..

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 06:02:08 pm »
So here's my question - why would you guys expect that a softer forward flex or loosening the cuff/booster would help you to engage the tips? If you move your body (shin) forward and your boot either moves out of the way, or isn't there, you won't be engaging the tips, will you? As I said before, often times this stuff can be a bit counter-intuitive. I'm also not saying that you are wrong Gary, I'm just asking you to tell me how that works as my experience has been the opposite.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 08:17:41 pm »
The idea behind the test if you are stacked correctly in a neutural stance, I've found for me that if I can't move my center forward stacked, then the butt pops out or the effort of trying to pressure the shovels with a boot that's too stiff keeps me from getting to   position that allows a center stacked body to apply enough energy to the shovels to get solid response.

The exercise of undoing or loosening the upper buckle allows the skier to stay stacked and move their body stacked fore enough to provide enough energy to the shovels.

Dan.....100 flex for one boot could be totally different for another. Byonm is a light man and flex patterns so vary boot to boot. I've found it's not about the number it's about the results.

Ideally, the least amount of fore aft movement in my book is ideal as long as the desired results (control tip to tail) can be achieved.

Guys, I do see you point..there are other factors that may be at play....This conversation makes me think of another possiblity....Byonm, not sure where you binding is located....it is possible the binding may be mounted to far back. There are skis like Head and Kastle that I typically have to mount the bindings 1-2 cen forward from center. But that's just me. To the point I now only use bindings that I can move the bindings to accomodate my preferred mounting point. The results for me of a ski mounted to far back is I just feel like I'm in the back seat all the time not being able to work the ski tip to tail equally.

My personal focus is to set myself up so I'm stacked vertically and balanced, working the ski tip to tail evenly requiring the least amount of fore/aft pressure. To achieve this it's been a combo of correct boot flex and binding mounting location.

Interesting stuff guys...g

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 08:47:45 pm »
Interesting discussion, but remember that Byron started this discussion just based on his work on a slant board.

Mr. Dremel Tool (aka Gary). Your point about some skis matches my thoughts.  I do the same.

Epic. In the general case, I agree with you.  In fact I've heard Harald saying that the plastic isn't there to bend, it's there to push against to get yourself back into balance.  Of course, I think that assumes a lot of other things about the alignment are already  correctly set up.

Byron:  File the information away, but wait patiently for a bit. Everything might "feel" differently on the snow, in the bindings, moving dynamically rather than standing statically.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 10:08:49 pm »
Byron -- I concur with Dan's suggestion of experimenting with shimming the back of the boot cuff to give you more forward lean.  Most of the boots made in recent years put the skier in a rather upright stance, which works for some, but not others, and definitely not for me. 

Last year I played with both increased binding delta as well as forward lean to achieve a more balanced stance.  I found that increasing the delta did little except make me feel disconnected from the tails of my skis.  But I really liked the effect of increased forward lean.  I grabbed a bunch of trails maps, and then started stuffing them down the back of the boots between liner and upper cuff -- first one map, then another after about an hour of skiing, and so on until I felt comfortable.  Final result was that about a 1/4 inch extra forward lean was the ticket.  It helped a lot to get my hips forward and make me feel centered. 

It's a simple experiment, and a cheap fix if it works.  Easily reversible too.  Some boots are sold with removable spoilers to so you can adjust this, but for others you will have to paste some bootfitters foam in there.  Most of the spoilers are wedge shaped to allow a range of adjustment -- the farther down you shove them, the more lean you get.  FWIW, the spoilers that came with my Tecnicas were too thin to give me the lean I needed, and I had to add some trail maps during my test day to push me even more forward.  As a final fix I used some thicker shims from Gary's Langes that he didn't need and donated to the worthy cause.  If your boots didn't come with shims, ask your shop if they have any Lange spoilers in their odds bin they can give you.  They taper from less than an 1/8" to more than 1/4", and are the best I have seen.

On the hill, use your spoilers (if you have them) or keep stuffing maps back there until you go too far, then back off to where it feels good and ski the rest of the day like that just to be sure you have it right.

BTW, Salomon boots seem to be stiffer than most.  I've tried a few over the years, and they always feel stiffer than most others of the same flex index.  I recently tried an X3 model in a 130 flex that was stiffer than all other 130's I had tried from other brands.  Darn solid boot.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:13:23 pm by Svend »

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 11:40:03 pm »
Thanks guys for taking the time and giving of your experience and insight to help. I am gleaning a ton of relevent information here.  My thoughts as they pertain to some of the dialogue;

Dan- Other than skiing last year....I tried a number of tests for stance and flex. Back of boot elevated .5", skis on/off, flat and on slight incline. Each test done with a lateral and front on view in a mirror I use to practice my stance, swingplane, stack, etc for golf.  With the boots buckled normally, at room tempurature, using both legs together, it is impossible for me to flex the boots forward noticbly regardless of the "angle of attack" or how I position my hips in relation to my knees. While in my bindings, with one leg, driving nearly as hard as I can, I can flex one boot at room temp maybe 2 to 3 cm.

I've found for me that if I can't move my center forward stacked, then the butt pops out or the effort of trying to pressure the shovels with a boot that's too stiff keeps me from getting to   position that allows a center stacked body to apply enough energy to the shovels to get solid response. 

Epic....Gary's description above reflects exactly what it feels like..(unable to apply enough leverage to get there or in wrong position from the git go to obtain a good stance) Everytime I "press" forward to engage my tips or initiate turns, either the angle at which my shin is contacting the tongue, or some other factor is causing a distinct feeling of weight shift or "bouncing off",  redirecting my balance and weight rearward to my glutes and heels. In fact, when skiing, it almost feels recriprocal. In otherwords, press>backseat>recover  >press >backseat>recover and so on. Not sure if that makes any sense...but that is the feeling. Granted, could be technique entirely, but I'm not so sure that accounts for 100%.

Jim - I did some posting last year about these feelings after skiing these boots, although I probably articulated it poorly. Spoke to some members, Svend, etc about the backseat feeling, tip control/wild tips, etc. and the notion of binding placement, a point also raised by Gary as a potential factor. I ski blizzard mag 76 and volkl kendo. Only the kendo's have fore aft ajustment capability at this time. While the slant board drills brought the issue back to forefront, my op was really more of a culmination to include last years skiing. That said, I only have about six or seven outings in these boots, which acounts for 80% of my outings since my return to skiing, and I did think they would soften some. To your point, definate need for more on snow eval and some good instruction.

Svend and Dan, in addition to Gary's suggestion, another good idea for field test in terms of shimming. Certainly the price is right on these tests and potential for more garnered info good. 

Again, thanks for the excellent feedback.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:40:09 pm by byronm »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 08:47:39 pm »
Dan.....100 flex for one boot could be totally different for another. Byonm is a light man and flex patterns so vary boot to boot. I've found it's not about the number it's about the results.

This is so true.  Somewhere in the Gear section here I posted about the dramatic differences in flex between different brands, and even different models within the same brand, of various 130 flex boots that I recently tried as a replacement for my Tecnica Inferno 110's.  Most were significantly softer, at 130, than my present Inferno 110's.  This included a Tecnica Cochise 130 boot that was so soft that it basically collapsed in the instep area upon flexing and offered almost no support whatsoever.  OTOH, at least one boot, the Salomon X3 130, was rock solid and was an absolute bear to get it to move even for me at 220 lbs in a warm shop. 

Byron, my point is that your boots may simply be too stiff for a guy your size and weight.  Not sure if all Salomons are generally stiffer than other brands, but if my quick test holds true for other Salomon models, then your 100 flex may be the same as another's 120 or 130.  The flex index number is basically almost meaningless, in other words, and should serve merely as a very rough approximation, if that.

I hate to say this, but if you can't bend the boot, and you can't get centered by modifiying forward lean, then this is a serious impediment to your skiing and skill advancement.  I'm a firm believer in getting the gear equation spot-on correct (boots, skis, tune....the works), so that all you have to do is focus on the skiing and let the gear fade into the background and get out of the way of having fun and getting better. 

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 10:15:48 pm »
Svend,

I wished I had initially went to a qualified boot fitter (none avail in my area) rather than a box store. Although I did spend quality time and tried on about 12-15 pairs of boots over a three day period, the absence of an experienced fitter and extra wise eyes has proven challenging and perhaps costly. 20/20 hugh?

Ironically, during my search, I tried on that Salomon x3 130 because my foot was swimming in everything else. It fit like a glove...AND....meta l mold... :) I have disconnected the backbone of my boot which is supposed to make it marginally more flexible but it does not make too much difference. I noticed last yr on HH site he was fitting lighter adult men and some women with the Head Raptor 90 for performance fit w/out being overly stiff. Something like that I think is perhaps where I need to be.

In a few days I will be trying the on hill tests/exercises suggested in terms of leaving upper loose, shimming, etc. to get a comparison/contrast and better line on what is happening and a way to articulate something quantifiable/useable to an experienced fitter.

Hopefully he can adjust my boots because in terms of  fit, overall support, warmth, end of day comfort, etc. they are stellar. If I can just get to point where they aren't working against me. Not withstanding operator error, if adjustments can't be made....well....we start over...."reboot" perhaps... :-\

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 11:38:21 pm by byronm »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 09:24:28 am »
Byronm...a word of encouragement...."hang in there".... :D It will all pay off. At least now with the kind of input that's been gererated here, you have some idea of what some of the potential factors are and you can speak the language when you get with a fitter.

I can say for myself and I know with Svend...it took us a full season and then some to dial in our boots. But once there, the feet stay warm, no sore spots and amazing performance. The rest....just getting on the snow baby!

OH yeah....make it happen!

G

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 03:31:31 pm »
Byron....

Don't try this at home:  If your boots are still too stiff even after removing the spine bolts, a good bootfitter can cut away some material from the inner cuff area to soften the flex.  Some boots even have scribed lines to indicate where to cut, meaning that the boot manufacturer is on-side with this mod.  You can get a peek at yours and see if they have these by pulling away the front flaps of the upper cuff and looking at the side areas of the shell beneath,  You will be looking for some U-shaped scribed or marked areas originating at the top edges of the inner cuff at the sides of where your lower leg would be.  If this is cut away (carefully) on both sides of the boot, then it will soften the flex considerably.  This surgery is irreversible, so be sure about this before committing yourself.

Good luck with all the tweaks and tests, and let us know how it goes.  As Gary said, it took me the better part of last season to get my Tecnicas dialed in, and now I am finally there and happy.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:32:38 pm by Svend »

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 08:52:56 pm »
Where do you live?

Getting your boots set up right makes all the difference in the world.  Getting the forward lean right, getting the cuff cut down to the right height, getting something that's got the right hole size so you don't have to buckle to tourniquet tightness is all really important.  While there's certainly some variation, I have a suspicion the big flex variances you guys are reporting are more due to boot setup issues than raw stiffness.  Svend's 220lbs should easily flex anything out there, if it's set up right.

If the boot's so upright that you can't get past that camming angle to the point where you can apply pressure to it, an 80 flex boot will feel impossibly stiff.  If the boot's set up right to let you get on it, a 150 flex boot feels pretty darned manageable.

If the spoiler doesn't get you past the bouncing point to one where you can flex the boot, I'd second Gary's suggestion of loosening the top buckle.  I'd only loosen it by one notch though, and I'd use a Booster strap against the liner tongue cinched pretty tightly.  That way, you're skiing mostly on the Booster strap (which is comfy and gives you a more progressive feel), but have the rest of the cuff there for support when you get really forward and want to drive the tips.

Okay, stepping off my soapbox now..  ;D

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 10:18:07 pm »
Hey Dan -- interesting comments.  No apologies re. soapbox needed.  Some very helpful insight into the relationship between forward lean and perceived stiffness.  It took me a minute to figure through what you were trying to say, but when it clicked it made perfect sense.  A simple matter of the physics of levers and torque.  Should come in useful for my next round of boot testing (whenever that is....).

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 01:30:23 am »
I am Az Dan outside of phoenix. I went back and looked at some dialogue I had with a professional bootfitter in Salt Lake via email the end of last season. I explained the issue and asked if they could tighten up the heel for me and address the flex issue.....His response was "we can do all that and more, however, the first step is making sure the boot geometry is right for you". 

Corroborating the point, I ran across a paper written by a fitter to other bootfitters and he spoke to "starting out with the right boot geometry", (paraphrasing) otherwise, the angles and design intent of the boot is made largely moot because it doesn't fit the skeletal nomenclature of the wearer.
Thus Dan, I think your point could be right on in that the angles, rather than the "raw flex" may be the issue. 

Interesting you used the "cam angle" anology. In a previous post I set about desribing my shin "feeling" like the apex of an inverted camshaft lobe, my back and mid torso the larger mass of the lobe, each time I flex at the knee and press, the apex engages the tongue and moves me into the back seat. The feeling being reciprocol in nature when skiing. Ultimately, I omitted that part of the pior post to save space.

Thx guys....I have a ton of excellent information here and chomping at the bit to get somewhere where I can do the field tests and more importantly get with a good bootfitter. I am sure I can get it worked out, even if I have to start over....I am inclined to think if the boots take a "ton" of work to "morph" them into something that works, it might be time to ebay'em and start fresh.

Just fyi....the paper I was reading...not sure how current it is...but I found it very interesting in terms of alignment, fit, etc. Have to admit....quite alot of it was over my head. Link at bottom of each page takes you to the next.
Thanks guys.

http://beckmannag.com/alpine-skiing/alignment/01overview
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:39:34 am by byronm »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 06:47:58 am »
Byronm...how did you get a picture of Jim for your avatar?

I'd say very generous of him...and Jim....nice way to keep the face warm! :D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 07:02:56 am »
Byronm...how did you get a picture of Jim for your avatar?

I'd say very generous of him...and Jim....nice way to keep the face warm! :D
Now that's funny. Well done my fellow octogenarian.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 07:13:59 am »
I'm falling off my chair laughing..... :D

AND your'e right....we both just might look like that given....ANOTHER 100 YEARS! :-X

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 09:11:53 am »
I found myself wishing for the strength and vitality of youth, the courage of a lion and the wisdom that comes with age to slay my vexing boot issue and start this new season with a bang.
Then I went to shave this morning....... :o 
Aaaaa...pparently I failed to articulate the full scope of my request..... :-X

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 10:38:35 am »
Go to The Emerald City and see the Wizard..... :-[

Wait....YOU ARE THE WIZARD.....!!!!  :o

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 11:14:53 am »

Interesting you used the "cam angle" anology. In a previous post I set about desribing my shin "feeling" like the apex of an inverted camshaft lobe, my back and mid torso the larger mass of the lobe, each time I flex at the knee and press, the apex engages the tongue and moves me into the back seat. The feeling being reciprocol in nature when skiing. Ultimately, I omitted that part of the pior post to save space.

[snip]

Just fyi....the paper I was reading...not sure how current it is...but I found it very interesting in terms of alignment, fit, etc. Have to admit....quite alot of it was over my head. Link at bottom of each page takes you to the next.
Thanks guys.

http://beckmannag.com/alpine-skiing/alignment/01overview

I saw your reference to a cam earlier, and knew exactly the feeling you meant.  I spent a few years in the wilderness before discovering great bootfitting, and that feeling is one I remember distinctly.  :D

I read through some of that link, and he seems to use a lot of words but not say very much.  I disagree with his approach to footbeds though, and think his focus on bootboard angle is a bit odd.  Maybe it would make more sense for people with no flexibility in their ankles, who can't adapt to a degree or two difference inside the boot...or perhaps it becomes necessary when you lock the foot up with a rigid footbed, like he advocates doing?

I think it's a great example of what I see as the biggest problem with bootfitting, to be honest--namely that there are a ton of incredibly nice and very well-intentioned guys out there who each have their own take on the timing of when the patient should be bled relative to the mandatory leg amputation for patients with an ingrown toenail.  Guys doing the bootfitting equivalent of this get tons of recommendations from skiers who've never experienced anything better, and don't realize that the bootfitting equivalent of "modern medicine" already exists.

So, how do you find the really, really good ones?  I know the Harb-trained fitters are outstanding, and all use "modern medicine".  If I remember right, jbotti has spoken highly of Jim Schaffner at Start Haus in Truckee, and jbotti's had enough experience with Harb-trained guys that I'd consider him a qualified reviewer.  Aside from that?  I have no idea.  I've been through a couple of fitters who were on the super-highly-recommended list on other fora and magazines, and they were still practicing Civil War-era medicine.  I've also seen boots from a few others that were brought to my fitter to be fixed because they never skied right, and heard the explanations of what was wrong, and why.  I wouldn't go to any of those guys, either.  It's a really tough situation all around.

Jim, isn't that the photo Lynn carries around in her wallet of you?  ;D

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 05:42:49 pm »
Just to clarify, Jim Schaffner at Start Haus is a great boot fitter and his work foaming my liners was also excellent. It is important to also realize that his alignment work is done with a very different approach than what Harbskisystems espouses and they do not do on snow alignment checks, which are necessary to dial in alignment. As well they offer two different types of footbeds and one of them is the rigid kind which does not allow the foot to articulate in the way it needs to ski at a high level.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
MOVED: Basic info for good boot fit
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 04:03:48 pm »
As requested, this topic has taken up residency in the Gear Garage.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:25:27 pm by jim-ratliff »