Author Topic: Banff Trip Report  (Read 364 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Banff Trip Report
« on: December 21, 2012, 09:14:57 am »
Just returned from skiing Lake Louise and Sunshine with Svend, and again...THEY have winter in full bloom. Both resorts were fully open although Louise with the weekend crowds had rocks hunting my bases and grass in the troughs between bumps.

We did receive some light snow on the 2nd day, however the night before we were leaving, 4-6" of snow feel on Sunshine. We went up there and had a blast in the bowls, in the bumps and some fantiastic riding on some of the blacks and blue runs. Just a great time with a good buddy. I didn't want to leave...but skiing hard on snow 4 hours each day, it was amazing how solid I felt....oh yeah...praise to the gym, strength and yoga training.

I really had a great time noting to self how blessed I am to be carving turns, gliding, sliding, bumping....how fortunate we are to have those feelings ingrained...it's truly the best.

In the pow, crud and bumps I personally focused on free foot managment, active pole plants and good arm/hand positions. Glad to say, the more I work on it, the more ingrained they become.

Svend for a 6 year skier was skiing it all too. He had a break though by finally ejecting his stem entry to the left. He worked on active pole plants that really helped in the steeps.

It was a great trip in a most beautiful part of North America.

Best, G

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Banff Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:26:31 pm »
Yeah, the trip was fantastic! Such a spectacular area of the country, and tons of snow on the ground.  Sunshine has already had over 300 cm (~120 in).

Great fun, and made new friends of some local guys who ski there weekly.  Just wish we had another day or two to enjoy the fresh snow that was moving in.

BTW Gary, the stem move was cured by simply moving the bindings on my Mythics forward 1 cm to get me more centered.  An easy fix, and not caused by poor technique, it seems.

Here's a pic looking over the Bow River Valley toward Lake Louise...

[old attachment deleted - file maintenance]